Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy Premier League champions

I popped up to the Rec today to see if St Stephen could limp over the line following a vastly underwhelming and fortuitous season. 

It took the hosts around 20 minutes to get to grips with Stickers superb interplay and neat passing. In this time they conceded and were on the back foot. 

Once they realised they couldn't match the passing ability of the youthful Sticker side they reverted back to the long ball and trying to rough up the opposition. Their questionable tactics paid off and they ran out 3-1 winners despite conceding the majority of possession and the Sticker side passing them off the park. 

The table doesn't lie so clearly St Stephen have the know how to win games but I can't help but feel the likes of Veryan, St Mawgan, Torpoint and perhaps even Sticker deserved the title more based on the quality of football they play. 

11 minutes ago, 64 on tap said:

I popped up to the Rec today to see if St Stephen could limp over the line following a vastly underwhelming and fortuitous season. 

It took the hosts around 20 minutes to get to grips with Stickers superb interplay and neat passing. In this time they conceded and we're on the back foot. 

Once they realised they couldn't match the passing ability of the youthful Sticker side they reverted back to the long ball and trying to rough up the opposition. Their questionable tactics paid off and they ran out 3-1 winners despite conceding the majority of possession and the Sticker side passing them off the park. 

The table doesn't lie so clearly St Stephen have the know how to win games but I can't help but feel the likes of Veryan, St Mawgan, Torpoint and perhaps even Sticker deserved the title more based on the quality of football they play. 

Goals win games not possession ??

2 hours ago, 64 on tap said:

It took the hosts around 20 minutes to get to grips with Stickers superb interplay and neat passing. In this time they conceded and we're on the back foot. 

What a terrible write up. You clearly have something against st Stephens.

Are st Stephens taking promotion this year? 

To be fair 64 isn't far off however the table doesn't lie and goals win games. Immensely proud to of captained my village team to a league and junior cup double. Promotion will be voted on as a club but it's looking likely we will take it. #coys ??

14 minutes ago, coady-9 said:

To be fair 64 isn't far off however the table doesn't lie and goals win games. Immensely proud to of captained my village team to a league and junior cup double. Promotion will be voted on as a club but it's looking likely we will take it. #coys ??

Fully deserved over the last couple seasons. Could have been more trophies the last few years but you certainly learnt lessons for this year. be good to see St Stephens back in east Cornwall. 

Well done to all at St Stephens. Needed a point from last 2 games and got the job done.

2nd last year and beaten Junior Cup finalists, to going one better this season and winning both

Close at the end with Torpoint surging up the table, St Mawgan and N Petherwin dropping off plus Veryan being up there until the very end

Points mean prizes