Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall FA restructure meeting

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really surprised there has been no comments raised as a result of the meeting that was held at Truro College a couple of weeks ago! Or perhaps I shouldn't be surprised as although there were a number who attended, there probably wasn't that many different clubs represented.

Having been to the meeting, I’ve tried to draw up how I understand things would be IF the restructure was to come in this summer based on where teams have finished in season 2017-18.

As we all know however, it doesn’t come in for real for another 12 months yet!

There will be two SWPL controlled Step 6 leagues – one for Cornwall and the other for Devon. At the meeting, the FA said that the Tamar border would be a ‘hard’ dividing line and the “Cornwall” entitled league would be as it says!

So, based on the final 2017-18 tables, the “Cornwall”Step 6 SWPL league would consist of the following: -

AFC St Austell

Bodmin Town

Callington Town

Camelford

Falmouth Town

Godolphin Atlantic

Helston Athletic

Launceston

Millbrook

Newquay

Saltash United

Sticker

Torpoint Athletic

(13)

The other 7 would come from the 11 Cornwall Div 1 West sides, so let’s say, based on the clubs having to have Step 6 facilities that would allow the likes of ………..

Liskeard Athletic

Penzance

Porthleven

St Blazey

Wadebridge,

(5)

then plus two others from Bude, Dobwalls Ludgvan, Mousehole, St Dennis, Wendron

We then turn to the new Cornwall based Step 7 League (yet to be decided who will be the individual administrators, but to be overseen by the Cornwall FA)

There will be four from the SWPL and say 6 from each of the CCL and ECPL to make up the 16 sides:-

SWPL surplus

(4)

Then say, again based on this season’s final placings

Perranporth

Falmouth Tn Reserves

Carharrack

St Day

Hayle

Helston Athletic Reserves (6 CCL)

Torpoint Athletic Reserves

AFC St Austell Reserves

Saltash United Reserves

Polperro

Launceston Reserves

Callington Town Reserves (6 ECPL).

So what happens to the surplus CCL & ECPL sides?

Namely from the CCL - Perranwell, Pendeen Rovers, Penryn Ath, Porthleven Reserves, St Just, St Agnes, St Ives Town, Mullion, Illogan RBL, West Cornwall, RNAS Culdrose, Redruth Utd, Wendron Utd Reserves and Lizard Argyle. That’s 14 Combo teams. Two might face relegation at the end of next season, but there again two would replace them from the Trelawny.

And then the ECPL would have left over

Looe Town, St Stephens Borough, Liskeard Athletic Reserves, Pensilva, St Blazey Reserves, Wadebridge Town Reserves, Millbrook Reserves, Lanreath, St Minver, Mevagissey, Newquay Reserves, Morwenstow, Padstow United, Roche, St Teath and St Stephen. 16 in total.

So the CCL and ECPL could easily continue, if with less clubs, which by the sounds of it, most people would prefer anyway!  

Apologies if I have missed anyone or added up wrongly or if I have misunderstood the restructure model.

Well explained Dave!! I quite like the look of it if that’s the case. Think it might work better with less teams in the lower leagues with no floodlights, might not get the crazy fixture schedule that a lot of teams were faced with at the end of this season with our ridiculous wet winter we had. As Dave mentioned the Combo and ECPL leagues still look similar and competitive. Maybe promote 4 teams at the end of the Trelawny season to make both leagues up to 16. Give the chance for good clubs like Holmans and Goonhavern the chance to bounce straight back up with two others maybe? At first glance think it will work well, especially in the Premier league, lot of very good Cornish teams with good facilities these days including floodlights and to be honest it’s only missing Tavistock as Parkway were up anyway. ?