Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy Knock Out Cup Semi Final tonight (Wed)

Superb evening for the second Duchy Knock Out Cup semi-final being played tonight at Lantoom (Dobwalls FC) 7.00pm

St Mawgan take on Torpoint Ath  for a place in the final at St Dennis this coming Sunday to take on Foxhole Stars (5.00 pm kick off)

Tonights match officials are Gary Cornish   Chris Nicholls   and  Robert Steggles

Prior to the KO Cup Final on Sunday, Roche Reserves will face St Stephen Reserves in the final of the Bodmin Sports Trophies League Cup  (2.00pm kick off)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FT: Torpoint Athletic 3-1 St Mawgan

Torpoint could have been out of sight at half time but went in 2-0 up after a few missed chances.

The 2nd half saw an unfortunate OG to make it 2-1 and then chances were wasted at both ends with the keepers making important saves.

Torpoint got the 3rd through a fine move then missed a penalty but played some rugged football to see the fixture out and reach their 2nd final of the season. After losing out on the Junior Cup at the Final hurdle they will be looking to continue their impressive form and take the silverware home

What a cracking semi final tonight, Torpoint certainly had the upper hand first half but the second period I thought was St Mawgan's. I think if St Mawgan had managed some more clinical finishing on the night things could have been different - but it's all just a matter of opinion. Both clubs did themselves proud and it was a great advert for Duchy League football.

Very well hosted by Dobwalls FC and sensibly refereed by Gary Cornish and his team.

I was a little disappointed that St Mawgan didn't appear to come into the club for a drink after the match.

Torpoint XI

R.Bond

A.Brayson / C.Westall / D.Rodgers / C.Bays

M.Westall / J.Norman / B.West / C.Damerell

W.Ferguson / B.Robbins

Subs Used: C.Bartolini / A.Richardson

I would have to say that I agree with the statements above. Torpoint started the game on the front foot, consistently turning the St.Mawgan back 4 with their wide men and strikers. The first goal came when a well flighted ball was finished by the on-rushing Damerell. Torpoint consistently made chances in the first half with the Mawgan keeper making 2 very good saves and 3 shots passing wide of the post. The second goal came with West cushioning a volley into midfield partner Norman to finish on the turn. St.Mawgan didn't go without their own chances in the first half however they struggled to stretch the keeper, Bond. Torpoint would've felt aggrieved not to have scored a couple more as the half time whistle blew.

Torpoint knew that St.Mawgan would attack the second half from the off. Mawgan moved the football as has come accustom in the Duchy Premier this season, some neat football found the left-sided midfielder at the by-line hitting a cross between the Torpoint keeper and defender. The ball was knocked into the net off Bays as Bond attempted to clear. Mawgan maintained the pressure whilst ensuring that they did not get caught on the counter. If not for some fine stops from Bond the game could've taken a very different turn. On more than one occasion Bond was called into action 1 on 1 with Mawgan unable to convert. With tactical changes being made by Torpoint and a superb second period by West, Torpoint regained control. The high press from Ferguson was causing consistent problems. Torpoint soon made it 3-1 with the Duchy Premier Top Scorer Robbins placing the ball into the left hand corner after some good build up from Bays and Damerell. Not long after Robbins was given the chance to add to his hefty seasons tally but was unable to convert from the spot.

In all the win, and another Final, for Torpoint was a fair result on the reflection of the game who now look forward to Sunday.

Special thanks must go to the 3 officials, the game was well managed from their side. As always a delight to be hosted by Dobwalls, friendly club that really take pride in their facilities.

50 minutes ago, 8 quid said:

Interesting to see Curtis damerell playing for torpoint last night as on the full time site he has only played 2 games in league competitions but you need to have played 3 before March 15th to play in semifinal or final ?

Depends when he signed on, as the rule also used to be that if you’d signed on before a certain date you were also eligible providing you’d not played for another team in that time. Correct me if I’m wrong though. 

46 minutes ago, Woodmanaldo said:

Depends when he signed on, as the rule also used to be that if you’d signed on before a certain date you were also eligible providing you’d not played for another team in that time. Correct me if I’m wrong though. 

He plays on a regular basis for the 1st team 

Woodmanaldo you are wrong, that rule was changed this season, you now have to play 3 games by March 15th to qualify for semi final & final. Foxhole had 1 player ineligible as he had played only 2 games by said date but had played in every round of the cup.

Below is the rule which clearly states the amount of games a player has to play to qualify for semi final & final

2. A player registered for a Club in the League shall be eligible to play for that Club in one of the Cup Competitions, but he shall NOT play for more than one Club or more than one team of that Club, or in more than one of the Cup

Competitions in any season.

A player shall not play in a Semi-Final or Final match of a Cup Competition unless he has played in THREE or more games for that team in any Duchy League competition prior to 15th March in that season.

A player who has been registered prior to the 31st October of the current season, but has not played the three requisite matches, may assist a team in a Semi-Final or Final match of a Competition providing he has not played for any other higher ranked team in competitive matches during the said season.

icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated  

20 hours ago, Paul Collings said:

What a cracking semi final tonight, Torpoint certainly had the upper hand first half but the second period I thought was St Mawgan's. I think if St Mawgan had managed some more clinical finishing on the night things could have been different - but it's all just a matter of opinion. Both clubs did themselves proud and it was a great advert for Duchy League football.

Very well hosted by Dobwalls FC and sensibly refereed by Gary Cornish and his team.

I was a little disappointed that St Mawgan didn't appear to come into the club for a drink after the match.

Any news on the victors....or not?

2 hours ago, dave bunt said:

Woodmanaldo you are wrong, that rule was changed this season, you now have to play 3 games by March 15th to qualify for semi final & final. Foxhole had 1 player ineligible as he had played only 2 games by said date but had played in every round of the cup.

Below is the rule which clearly states the amount of games a player has to play to qualify for semi final & final

2. A player registered for a Club in the League shall be eligible to play for that Club in one of the Cup Competitions, but he shall NOT play for more than one Club or more than one team of that Club, or in more than one of the Cup

Competitions in any season.

A player shall not play in a Semi-Final or Final match of a Cup Competition unless he has played in THREE or more games for that team in any Duchy League competition prior to 15th March in that season.

A player who has been registered prior to the 31st October of the current season, but has not played the three requisite matches, may assist a team in a Semi-Final or Final match of a Competition providing he has not played for any other higher ranked team in competitive matches during the said season.

icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated  

That’s what I meant when I said you could play if you’ve signed on by a certain date but haven’t played for a higher ranking team.

I think most people are aware of the rules, if in doubt you think they’d check with the league in advance which I always did if unsure of a player’s eligibility for cup games. 

32 minutes ago, Woodmanaldo said:

That’s what I meant when I said you could play if you’ve signed on by a certain date but haven’t played for a higher ranking team.

I think most people are aware of the rules, if in doubt you think they’d check with the league in advance which I always did if unsure of a player’s eligibility for cup games. 

The original squad was sent to the league secretary for verification with the following: S.Rosevear, D.Medlin, M.Crowley & L.Gibbons ineligible due to sign on date and not accumulating the required fixtures by the second deadline. The new squad was issued and verified again prior to yesterday's game before being published in the KMD Cup programme.

If the situation is true that Torpoint, did indeed play an ineligible player then action needs to be taken, and sooner rather than later I might add! 

Issues like these should not be taken lightly or else you run the risk of the competition becoming farcical. Sorry if I’ve put my oar in the wrong water, so to speak, but as a Cornish football lover, I saw the post and couldn’t resist slotting my own 50p in. 

Just ask Real Madrid about how lightly football treats ineligibility after their expulsion from the domestic cup a few years back (if my memory serves true). 

The final is Sunday, would be a travesty for the issue to blow over with no definitive outcome. 

2 minutes ago, dave bunt said:

No Bartolini on that team sheet 

Bartolini added late. Was signed before 31st October thus did not require the 3 games according to league rules.

"A player who has been registered prior to the 31st October of the current season, but has not played the three requisite matches, may assist a team in a Semi-Final or Final"

Only if he has not played for a higher league team, please read the rules

2 hours ago, dave bunt said:

No Bartolini on that team sheet 

whether he is on the team sheet makes no difference, he was a sub. there is no mention of team sheets/ subs in the cup rules and it states where no rule is listed to refer to the league rules.

Those rules clearly state that the names of substututes are to be given to the referee no later than 5 minutes before the start of the match.

The fact that the squad was asked for in advance is normally to allow the printing of programmes etc and this isnt required at earlier less significant stages of the competition 

Good morning, whilst some of you seem to be acting like a bunch of women with your gossip at a coffee morning, Torpoint afc will respond with all facts and proof of correspondence to the league so it is clear that if any rule has been breached then evidence will prove who is accountable 

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

So he’s not a problem then!

Exactly. He's not a problem, and Damerell was cleared as eligible within communication prior to the submission of team sheet so no ineligible players fielded.

I take it like last year there’s been a league error in the eligibility of the player in question as I understand he didn’t play his 3rd game for them till 17 th March which was 2 days after the league rules state maybe the duchy league could clear this up 

Sorry confusion Curtis damerall is the player in guestion plays for torpoint 1st team and has only played 2 league games the rule is 3 by the 15 th March foxhole had 2 players not allowed and as I  understand  callington had 6 not eligible so how can torpoint be given permission to play a player that is ineligible to play by there own rules only the duchy league can answer this maybe they will I understand now it sounds like it’s not torpoints fault they played him 

On behalf of the Duchy League I would like to confirm that Torpoint Athletic fielded two players in Wednesday’s Knock Out Cup Semi Final who were ineligible under Cup Rules.

One of those players, C Damerell, was incorrectly sanctioned to play by the League for which the League is deeply apologetic. However the second ineligible player, C Bartolini, was not sanctioned to play and therefore Torpoint Athletic are unfortunately in breach of the Rule.

As a consequence, Torpoint Athletic have been removed from the competition and St Mawgan have been re-instated to play in the Final on Sunday.

Paul Collings Duchy League Vice Chairman

28 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

On behalf of the Duchy League I would like to confirm that Torpoint Athletic fielded two players in Wednesday’s Knock Out Cup Semi Final who were ineligible under Cup Rules.

One of those players, C Damerell, was incorrectly sanctioned to play by the League for which the League is deeply apologetic. However the second ineligible player, C Bartolini, was not sanctioned to play and therefore Torpoint Athletic are unfortunately in breach of the Rule.

As a consequence, Torpoint Athletic have been removed from the competition and St Mawgan have been re-instated to play in the Final on Sunday.

What sanction would Torpoint have required to authorise C.Bartolini to play? I can't see in the rules that the play needs to be authorised in a Cup Semi-Final. Only that the team sheet must be handed to the referee 5mins prior to KO.

Just now, davegrose said:

Sounds like summin prynner wud do do jimmer lol

We always check the rules Dave, probably giving the league comittee a headache in return with all the questions asked. We work most of it out our self with the use of Fulltime mainly, I'm sure you do at St Dennis too????

What fun would it be without rules Grosey?

5 minutes ago, L.Gibbons said:

What sanction would Torpoint have required to authorise C.Bartolini to play? I can't see in the rules that the play needs to be authorised in a Cup Semi-Final. Only that the team sheet must be handed to the referee 5mins prior to KO.

Capture.JPG

9 minutes ago, Jimmer06 said:

We always check the rules Dave, probably giving the league comittee a headache in return with all the questions asked. We work most of it out our self with the use of Fulltime mainly, I'm sure you do at St Dennis too????

Capture.JPG

This part would justify Bartolini is eligible  

Capture.JPG.d9c888c2c754e16485b706fc7ef8572d.JPG

13 minutes ago, Jimmer06 said:

Capture.JPG

He was signed pre 31st Oct, I believe in August & has not represented the first or second teams as mentioned for C.Damerell.

19 minutes ago, L.Gibbons said:

Just to clarify, there is no requirement for the League to check that any player is eligible to play beforehand and the League could just let the teams work it out for themselves but the sensible approach is for squads to be notified in advance so that the League can confirm they are all eligible - ie 'sanction' them to play. As I have already stated Torpoint were incorrectly informed that Damerell was ok to play, he did not have any special permission (sanctioning).   I think it is also fair to point out that Torpoint had not realised he was ineligible themselves.

6 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

Just to clarify, there is no requirement for the League to check that any player is eligible to play beforehand and the League could just let the teams work it out for themselves but the sensible approach is for squads to be notified in advance so that the League can confirm they are all eligible - ie 'sanction' them to play. As I have already stated Torpoint were incorrectly informed that Damerell was ok to play, he did not have any special permission (sanctioning).   I think it is also fair to point out that Torpoint had not realised he was ineligible themselves.

So back to the original question, was Bartolini eligible or not? If he wasn't, why?

From what it sounds like, the Club were unsure so sought guidance on the matter. If there was direction from the league that the playing of Damerell would lead to expulsion from the Cup then I'm sure the management would be ensured that he didn't play.

48 minutes ago, Jimmer06 said:

Absolute hell up! Rules are rules I guess.

Surely the Torpoint manager would question this sort of thing with the league to make sure ahead of the game?

I did question this and have all emails to prove it. I also have email from a certain person acknowledging their mistake, hense why he's emailed us saying he's handed in his resignation! I will say again, Chris bartolini was NOT ineligible, the fact he was not named was irrelevant, I personally told the ref before the game as the rules stated, we will be making an appeal I I feel we are being made scapegoats for someone else's mistake. 

Justin norman Manager 

58 minutes ago, Jimmer06 said:

Absolute hell up! Rules are rules I guess.

Surely the Torpoint manager would question this sort of thing with the league to make sure ahead of the game?

Something that was highlighted by the management to the Club secretary, then passed to the league for verification. 4 players were unable to play with a final squad list then submitted and verified by the league prior to the evenings game.

This has drawn a dark cloud over Sundays Final and affects the preparation not only of Torpoint OR St.Mawgan but also Foxhole. Clarification is required for all parties with appeals pending... An emergency meeting to be held tomorrow to save further embarrassment for the league officials? 

Damerell shouldn't of played,but he did so unfortunately for torpoint they broke the rules so there removed from the competition as set out in the duchy rules.i'd say it was purely an oversight/administrative error but it is what it is ?

On 25/05/2018 at 14:16, Paul Collings said:

but also need to point out that it is the first year of the new rule so the league should check.

Bartolini was ok, dammerel was confirmed to be ok and the league accepted by email after the game that they made a mistake

Therefore the league must allow the result to stand.

Also, the team can appeal and a commitee meeting shall be held with attendance by the disqualified club present

Calamity of errors

2 hours ago, Paul Collings said:

bartolini isnt illegal. your own bloody rules do not state that subs names have to be handed to the ref until 5 mins before the game.

He hasnt played for any other club and is fine to play. Admit the error, apologise and get that cup final between torpoint and foxhole back on

2 minutes ago, 8 quid said:

It's not a new rule 

it is but thats not the point pal (the league said so themselves)

Rule was in place last season & it's the clubs responsibility to check player eligibility,Curtis Damerell wasn't eligible to play end of & all the moaning & groaning ain't gonna change the fact that torpoint have been unfortunately but correctly removed from the competition 

Not surprised by this in the slightest. It’s clear to see torpoint did everything to make sure players were ok to play the semi final. Emails sent back and fourth, it’s seems that every team and indeed the league will always be against them. Completely neutral but if torpoint don’t play this final they will be in many others eyes, as my own as the winners. 

Goals x 

7 minutes ago, Grant said:

I would argue that the result is unfair on st mawgan as well if an ineligible was allowed to play, albeit with the wrong clearance.  the game should be replayed with eligible players only and final moved date 

Totally agree. Incredibly unfair on St.Mawgan who could rightfully ask for a replay. The League wouldn't want to lose more money though...