Cornwall Football Forum

The Way Too Early Transfer Rumour Thread

14 minutes ago, Rayvon said:

Tiverton my favourite non league ground, terrific playing surface and good clubhouse. I used to admire them when Dave Leonard was connected with the club. How the mighty have fallen or as they say "Your not famous anymore"

Fallen? Last season they equalled their second highest position in their history.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Richard I did not explain myself very well, when I was younger and Truro City were playing in the SWL Tiverton in my mind were always the top non league club in the South West imo winning the FA Vase twice and runners up once, Western League winners several times  and good runs in the FA Cup and Trophy. Perhaps I should have said moved sideways rather than fallen and surely a team that should have gone on to bigger and better things. I see they have some good signings this season including River Allen Ollie Knowles Tom Gardner Martin Rice and of course 100% Cornish's favourite Levi Landricombe.

Don't forget the sleeping giants of Cornish football who many were tipping at the end of last season. I will reserve my judgement until after tomorrow's game when I will give my honest opinion. Will be catching public transport down for this one as recommended, a chance to try out my bus pass. :drink:

3 minutes ago, S Abbo said:

Yep hes gone there.... shame to lose him but wants to play that standard and compete.  Not sure on the money front.. St Dennis gained a decent player...hope they look after him ?

I am friends with his wife who has confirmed this. According to her, he told her that he couldn’t turn down the chance to play with the Rickards ??

1 hour ago, herbie777 said:

Another 40 goals guaranteed playing against defenders who r usually absolutely terrified of him and let him do as he pleases

A big lump who is a reasonable footballer. 

I know a few centre halves from my day who would've eat him alive, and spat him out for breakfast. 

In saying that, I've never been him put himself around in the games I've seen him in. 

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

A big lump who is a reasonable footballer. 

I know a few centre halves from my day who would've eat him alive, and spat him out for breakfast. 

In saying that, I've never been him put himself around in the games I've seen him in. 

Think even you would have moved across from right back to have a little dig at him Dave. ?

That name still scares me now!! He was a proper beast to play against! Let’s say a no prisoners type of guy! Played on the same team as Nig a couple of times for Cornwall though and he was really quiet and almost shy off the pitch!! Really nice chap! ?️ Funny what crossing that white line does to some people ?

I remember a Senior Cup Final back in the Eighties (exact year fails me) between Liskeard and Saltash at Mount Wise. Nigel Menhenick and Terry Pooley flattened Steve Nute when he went to claim the ball from a corner, Steve got up bloodied, bruised, but holding the ball. Got a bit feisty in the corridor between the changing rooms at half time, and also a few "earnest opinions and gestures" in the crowd. Happy days.

Watched that game!! Probably the best Senior Cup Final I’ve ever seen! Reckon by today’s standards there would have been about 5 players left on the pitch at the end!! Think the Saltash chairman and a Liskeard player had a scrap in the toilet at half time as well as the teams were coming out for the 2nd half!! ??

Yeah agree Mark, never saw anyone get the better of Sweeter physically in a game ever mate!! Hard as nails and what a player too. Could play any position on the pitch. Bit biased as he’s one of my best mates but absolute quality. Remember him breaking his ankle first half up Appledore, he played the full 90 minutes, we went back my mums for tea then went to a rave in some field near Truro in the evening and he woke up next morning and his ankle was like the elephant mans!! Finally managed to talk him into an x-ray by Sunday afternoon and he was in plaster for 6 weeks!!! He don’t know pain!! ??

1 hour ago, RAPPO said:

Watched that game!! Probably the best Senior Cup Final I’ve ever seen! Reckon by today’s standards there would have been about 5 players left on the pitch at the end!! Think the Saltash chairman and a Liskeard player had a scrap in the toilet at half time as well as the teams were coming out for the 2nd half!! ??

Mike Howard (Ashes then chairman) what a guy he was (not sure if he is still with us). After losing to Liskeard in a Senior Cup semi-final in nineties at Priory Park (again, can't remember year), he went on to pitch at the end and offered all the Blues players to see him behind the stand.

20 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Mike Howard (Ashes then chairman) what a guy he was (not sure if he is still with us). After losing to Liskeard in a Senior Cup semi-final in nineties at Priory Park (again, can't remember year), he went on to pitch at the end and offered all the Blues players to see him behind the stand.

Mike Howard, yes Mr Saltash Utd for many, many years. He absolutely loved it and gave anything and everything for the club. Not a well man in his latter days and sadly passed away within the last couple of years

20 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

4 hours ago, Mark Jones said:

What about a Dave Sweet v Hobbs both in their prime ? A few more red cards flying there. Or how about Ian stephens v Hobbs ? 

Dont forget the town back line of paddy scrace , tommy matthews ,graham heard , and dave gardner .not a lot got passed those boys .come to think of it Dodger Long would have sorted the problem before it got to them ! ?

Yeah feel blessed to have played with those guys Matt!! Tommy and Dave the best centre back pairing I've ever played against and mostly with thankfully!! Saturday's were easy after trying to score a goal in training against these guys!! ??  If you did slip past on the rare occasion you had to score past Denty or Philpy then!! ???  Dodger what a legend!! ?