Cornwall Football Forum

Millbrook 1 Vospers Oak Villa 1

Millbrook and Vospers produced a pretty good game of football on a gluey pitch that made it difficult to pass the ball on the ground.

It was nil-nil at half time but Millbrook were probably the better team going into the break and early in the second half Ross Avery earnt them a penalty, going down under slight contact as he ran across the penalty area. Jon Harris stepped up to take the kick which was well saved by Vospers' keeper but Harris headed home the rebound to put Millbrook one-nil up.

There then followed a spell of intense Vosers pressure Millbrook keeper James Gould kept his team in front with what was probably the best save I've seen this season - Gouldie flying to his right to keep out a point blank effort and not long later he made another fine save but this time Vospers put the rebound home to draw level. Minutes later Vospers had a chance to win the game when they were awarded a penalty but the spot kick went high and wide.

The one-one scoreline extends Millbrook's unbeaten league run to eight games and, on reflection, was probably the right result.

Guest Gouldie

Just this season??? (only joking)

Good game of football. We had a couple of mistakes start to creep in today. This was probably due to enforced changes. Not that anyone played badly, just that we lost a little bit of our organisation which has been so good lately. A draw was definately the right result and they didn't really deserve to steal the points with the penalty.

That had to be one of the worst games of football I have seen played on a gluepot of a pitch. So many missed passes and missed kicks from both sides. Millbrook had to thank the superb Jamie Gould for his goalkeeping which kept his team in the game. The Millbrook penalty was farcical. The defender was on the ground with the ball the other side of him when the Millbrook No. 14 suddenly took off in one of the most blatant dives you will ever see over the defender without any contact being made and yet it was right in front of the referee. Instead of booking the player he surprisingly gave the penalty, a very strange decision indeed. A draw was just about a fair result between two very poor sides and in front of about 25-30 people. What a shame.

Guest Gouldie

I think the pitch gave the game a different dimension for both sides today and was not going to help offer an enjoyable game of flowing passing football butthe game had plenty of chances which did tend to stem from mistakes from both sides. We certainly didn't put in the performance that got us the points at Camelford. I agree about our penalty but to be fair the decision for the Vospers pen was not much better.

maybe not but if the pitch condition is not great , you need to shorten the pass's , pass and move for it again. the picth in my opinion is not in that bad condition still good enough to knock the ball about to a decent standard

Guest Gouldie

I agree about how you should deal with it but I was making the point that neither team dealt with it very well which really didn't help the game as a footballing spectacle. We have tried to play some good passing football for most of the season making good use of excellent wide men. I am not trying to defend our performance it was not as good as it has been lately. I was just making the point that it didn't help today.

Fair play James , I have seen you play a few times this season and i think you personally have performed well the times i have seen you , but i beg to differ about if you ( as a team) have tryed to play football. Of course i can only comment on the games i have seen but the style is most certainly one of a long direct approach . which granted you could argue is working for you at the moment because of the run of games without defeat. But it is very ugly football and not pleasent to watch.

Guest Gouldie

I agree it hasn't been great. I said in the forum before that we had a slow start to the season. We have tried to defend a lot better and have not conceded many. I think we have the 3rd best goals against record. We were forced to change our defence slightly today which although the quality of player coming in wasn't a problem we had got in to a settled defensive unit. Now we have turned the corner and we are winning more games than we are drawing the football has started to get better. At the moment though we need to get results to get back in to the top half and that is more important. We are trying to get in to the right ethos about our style of play. Unfortunately today wasn't testament to that.

Clean sheets win games and all that!

Guest Gouldie

Wadebridge obviously had a good win today but some of the other teams at the top have started beating each other. If we win our games in hand and the results remain slightly unpredicatable I think we may be aiming for the top 3/4.

On a personal level it's my first full season at this level and would like to finish it feeling like I am not out of my depth and as always I try and aim for the best goals against column.

from what i have seen you look pretty safe , cant see why you shouldnt finish the season with a decent amount of self satisfaction, i personally think top 3 or 4 is a bit to far for the team but would be delighted if proved wrong