Cornwall Football Forum

BEST RULE CHANGE OVER THE YEARS!?

Sitting on the beach here in Cyprus with a bit of time on my hands (not saying I’m bored or anything, I’ve been harpooned by green peace twice already ? ) reading an article in this months World Soccer mag about VAR. Not sure the World Cup is ready for that yet but it got me thinking what has been the best rule change over the years? For me it’s been the back pass rule, good one if you’re a striker but more importantly keeps the game flowing! Remember being a kid in the early eighties and my dad trying to explain tactics to me, used to do my head in teams a goal up with 5 or 10 to go passing back to the keeper, him picking it up, rolling it out to full backs back on the corner flags and then them passing it back to him!! Remember Ray Clemence being really good at it! Or was it just annoying cos it was Liverpool doing it and they were winning everything back then! Be interested to know people’s favourite change if you’re a bit bored as well? ?

Has to be the one on one rule change where the goalkeeper now gets sent off for fouling you.Many a time Denty or Philpy and co would take you out/cut you in half as you we went pass them and get away with it.?Probably why you scored more than me Rappo as I had more seasons of this than you did

I wasn't initially in favour of rolling subs but have to admit I was wrong. At times it can slow the game down a bit but helps more players to play, and Rappo to get the 2000th. If I remember right he was sitting in the car keeping warm when the penalty was awarded!

Glad the four step rule was abolished. Never saw it implemented.

Just like to say that I wrote a post years ago about introducing roll on roll off subs to the lower leagues to increase participation. It had a fair few negative responses at the time!!!

they need to change the offside law. Currently the Lino has said to wait for the player to get involved this is going to cause an unnessary injury sooner rather than later. Just flag when they’re stood offside when the ball has been played 

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

Just like to say that I wrote a post years ago about introducing roll on roll off subs to the lower leagues to increase participation. It had a fair few negative responses at the time!!!

they need to change the offside law. Currently the Lino has said to wait for the player to get involved this is going to cause an unnessary injury sooner rather than later. Just flag when they’re stood offside when the ball has been played 

It's not an offence to be in an offside position; It's an offence to be in an offside position and to interfere with play. 

When refereeing, it's important for the ref to wait and see how play is developing when there is a potential offside situation - there may not actually be an infringement (player running past the one in an offside position). That's why assistants are asked to wait. The only time they should stick it up immediately is when it looks like there could be a collision with the keeper

5 minutes ago, B_D said:

It's not an offence to be in an offside position; It's an offence to be in an offside position and to interfere with play. 

When refereeing, it's important for the ref to wait and see how play is developing when there is a potential offside situation - there may not actually be an infringement (player running past the one in an offside position). That's why assistants are asked to wait. The only time they should stick it up immediately is when it looks like there could be a collision with the keeper

And it’s stupid. There’s going to be a needless injury soon when the Lino could just flag. It’s obvious that a player is going to go for the ball. Why wait? Just flag 

the offside rule is massively over complicated. In my mind, if you’re in the penalty area and stood offside, you’re interfering with play 

It doesn't quite work like that. The key to the offside law is understanding the difference between interfering with play and not interfering with play. 

Trying to explain offside to players when I'm reffing is often hard work... It's that "interference" that confuses people. That part of the law will never change.

2 minutes ago, B_D said:

It doesn't quite work like that. The key to the offside law is understanding the difference between interfering with play and not interfering with play. 

Trying to explain offside to players when I'm reffing is often hard work... It's that "interference" that confuses people. That part of the law will never change.

I couldn’t give a monkies what the law says and I appreciate that you’re going to tie the high line to keep the FA happy. But my opinion is that if you’re in the penalty area you’re offside. If a free kick comes in as a defender you’ve got no idea who the ball is going to do you’re playing offside and just because the player stood offside may not touch it, he’s interfering by making defenders act differently. 

The law is crap when it could be so simple