Cornwall Football Forum

Kevin Richards

With reference to the stament issued by Mousehole Fc.

The club have decided to relieve me of my position. The owner of the club has massive ambition for the club & promotion was a must for him. 

It looks unlikely, after yesterday’s result, that I would be unable to achieve that goal this season.

it seems that picking up 40 points out of 51, after the previous manager had achieved 5 out of the first 24, getting the team into the top 4 from 2nd bottom, reaching the league cup & charity cup semi finals as well as the senior cup final, wasn’t good enough for him. !!!

I wish the players at Mousehole every success, but I will say to the next lamb to the slaughter at Mousehole. 

Beware. !!!!

I have been a supporter of Mousehole's ambitions, their model of setting a solid infrastructure and building a player base (supported by a few imports), but this seems a completely ridiculous decision - Mousehole's fate for this season was set in September / October and your record (Kevin) is undoubtedly the best in the West League. 

Without knowing internal politics or what conditions were set on Kevin's appointment -  next season, the top 7/8 teams will get promoted to Step 6 and the 'owner' will undoubtedly get his wish of moving upwards - surely the end of this season and next would be best served by finishing off the stadia and player recruitment / coaching - which requires a manager who knows how to manage.

As Mousehole appear to want to model themselves on top flight clubs unfortunately it is no surprise the owner acts in the same way - as with top clubs, money may give the owner the right to change managers but it does not mean he knows football.

Perhaps you may have done too well - giving some too high expectations! 

I'm sure there are plenty of other clubs that will value your services and no doubt you will have the opportunity to make the owner regret his decision making - and it will be very interesting to see who takes on running the first team

Sorry to hear this news Kevin, sounds to me like Mousehole have got this all wrong. I personally think you are a better manager & talents are wasted in Division One West anyway. 

As far as speculation goes as to where you head next, Penzance are a big club in West Cornwall, who have had a dreadful season by the looks of things, could see you turning things around down there, would imagine a few of your players would follow as well which would make any side in that league stronger. Or a new challenge in the Premier division, with the lads who would follow you more than capable of playing that level you will be an asset wherever you end up Kevin

15 minutes ago, ATL said:

How Kevin got the job in the first place is beyond me!? He took Godolphin over and made them a joke and now Mousehole? Maybe he should retire completely from management and take up dog walking.

What a stupid comment. He took a side that he took over halfway through the season to the Senior Cup Final. Any club has played in it would love to get to the final once in their history. 

Gutted for you Kevin, maybe next time you will think outside of cornwall for your next teams players ?. I hear porthleven seconds are interested in new management, third time lucky but there is still the application process to get through.

43 minutes ago, ATL said:

How Kevin got the job in the first place is beyond me!? He took Godolphin over and made them a joke and now Mousehole? Maybe he should retire completely from management and take up dog walking.

With pathetic comments like this it really makes sick to the stomach. What Kevin has done since joining Mousehole and where he has taken them from the situation they was in is absolutely fantastic. I wish Kevin all the best wherever he may go and whatever club he joins next will be very lucky to have a genuine man in charge like himself. After knowing Kevin for a good 10/15 years now I know he will push on and get himself a new opening in cornish football. All the best and to mousehole we shall see what happens next...

48 minutes ago, kevin richards said:

Thank you Steve, however, I don’t really know what gives you the right to talk about management. You’ve only ever been a no 2, 3 or Physio. Sorry, was just trying to remember how many times Mousehole beat Penzance this season, but I keep loosing count. ?

Maybe if you had a better 2, 3 or physio you might have kept your job. It’s ok tho you can sit next to Luke H at the senior cup final. Enjoy a swift return to football management.

Mousehole already had a plan and players before Kevin went there. Yes he's gelled them but I don't think he was the reason they have gone on and done what they have the rest of season. He made a mess of godolphin the short time he was there with his big plans. Pushing good local Youngsters away. I hear William hill are taking bets on what club is left to manage in the West for him!

9 minutes ago, cornishlegend said:

Mousehole already had a plan and players before Kevin went there. Yes he's gelled them but I don't think he was the reason they have gone on and done what they have the rest of season. He made a mess of godolphin the short time he was there with his big plans. Pushing good local Youngsters away. I hear William hill are taking bets on what club is left to manage in the West for him!

None Cornishlegend ??? Well & truly retired. 

Would like to thank all the friends I have made in Cornish football both as a player & manager.

I would like to think I’ve made more friends than enemies.

Kev Richards. ?

Leaving Kevin Richards out of the equasion completely, we should all have learnt by now that he who pays the piper calls the tune.
That is not a reference to players being paid, but an acknowledgement that someone has ploughed a substantial sum of money into Mousehole football club, and regardless of how much they know about football, they expect a financial return on their investment with immediate effect.
We are not privy to the circumstances that involved the apparant investment in the club by people that seem to have connections with professional football, but as can be seen every day in the professional game, it's a case of instant success, ( even 2nd place is not acceptable ) or there's the door.
Mouseholes circumstances both now and in the future will be watched with interest by those involved in football in Cornwall.
Good luck to them we hope they can realise their ambitions.

5 hours ago, kevin richards said:

The club have decided to relieve me of my position. The owner of the club has massive ambition for the club & promotion was a must for him. 

It looks unlikely, after yesterday’s result, that I would be unable to achieve that goal this season.

it seems that picking up 40 points out of 51, after the previous manager had achieved 5 out of the first 24, getting the team into the top 4 from 2nd bottom, reaching the league cup & charity cup semi finals as well as the senior cup final, wasn’t good enough for him. !!!

I wish the players at Mousehole every success, but I will say to the next lamb to the slaughter at Mousehole. 

Beware. !!!!

U done ur bit mate better off out of it if it's gonna b like that,lucky escape sum mite say,enjoy ur time off n watch a few games as a neutral!

6 hours ago, kevin richards said:

Beware. !!!!

I'm so sorry and shocked at this decision mate you've done a fantastic job at Mousehole it was always going to be an hard task to get us up after the start we had but for christ sake a senior cup final unbelievable good luck in the future to you and dave. 

I was really shocked at hearing this news earlier. Kevin is a top bloke and has done a tremendous job at Trungle Park, but I have to think, too many cooks and all that, with Kevin being the fall guy. I'm gutted that he won't be managing them against Saltash, after guiding Mousehole to the county's showpiece final.

I don't think Mousehole have earned themselves too many fans here. 

All the best in whatever you do next, Kev. 

10 hours ago, kevin richards said:

Beware. !!!!

Kevin, was this a slip of the tongue or do Mousehole now have a powerless committee and are dictated too by Mr Chapman? Has the committee sold out to a dream? Sacking a manager should be a committee's job not someone who is chucking a few quid into a dream. 

9 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Kevin, was this a slip of the tongue or do Mousehole now have a powerless committee and are dictated too by Mr Chapman? Has the committee sold out to a dream? Sacking a manager should be a committee's job not someone who is chucking a few quid into a dream. 

Surely it’s up to Mousehole how they run their club Paul? I would assume they’re pretty happy with how the owner has played his part so far at Trungle!

8 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Short memories the magpies must have.

Mousehole run the club they want to run it. I have no idea why Kevin has been removed. I would of liked for him to stay until the end of season and then make the changes, but it is Mousehole's prerogative to run the club how they chose. Looks like another season in Div 1 West for them, which i don't think was the plan :( 

Good luck to Kevin for his future plans weather that be retirement or a new club. One of the nicest people i have meet in Cornish football.

Really unsure whether to laugh or cry at this decision.... up there with one of the strangest decisions to be made!

Targeting promotion following a dreadful start meant basically mousehole had to win every game and hope someone else dropped points (not actually that far away from achieving it mind) add in a trip to the Senior Cup Final. Jesus, ive seen worse performances :ph34r:

all the best Kev!

25 minutes ago, truthbetold said:

Down the south west mousehole lost alot of respect ere with the locals . I' hearing rivals Penzance will revamp with a mass exodus of local boys from Ludgvan

I would love to see Penzance back in senior football. This is one of the oldest clubs and deserves to be among the leaders.

22 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

I would love to see Penzance back in senior football. This is one of the oldest clubs and deserves to be among the leaders.

Agreed Big AL, a fine club with great history. Who have I am sure in their own admittance have really underachieved for a club that size. To see locally the likes of Mousehole, Ludgvan & Helston overtake them must be a very bitter pill for the locals to swallow. 

52 minutes ago, truthbetold said:

Down the south west mousehole lost alot of respect ere with the locals . I' hearing rivals Penzance will revamp with a mass exodus of local boys from Ludgvan

If this was the case then what are Pz hoping to achieve, or do they not wish to return to the Swpl Premier? If memory serves I am sure I heard when Wayne Quinn was at Mousehole He/they refused promotion because of the traveling? If they were to win the league next season ( big IF on this season's position I know) then surely Pz would be in the same position as Mousehole a few season's back? 

The fact that Callum Elliot has stepped in as manager seems to suggest that Mousehole intended him to take that position when he went to the club. They only need one manager so dismissed Kevin - nothing to do with Dave Leonard’s position. 

As I said at the start of this post, without knowing the internal politics or whether there has been a falling out - this is a ridiculous decision.

One of the nicest guys in the game, talks sense, no bullshit, and knows local football as well as anyone. Has had more successes than failures that’s for sure. Took Mullion from nowhere to league champions in the Combo a few seasons back and moved on, too good a manager for that level. Done a great job this season Kev, just got to look at Mousehole’s results Since you took over. Whoever made this decision is a ? clown!! Better off out of that mate!! Enjoy the rest, which I’m sure won’t last long ?⚽️

4 hours ago, burt said:

Do you all not find it funny that today, Dave Leonard is staying with Mousehole! While his friend Kevin has been sacked!

It's not as funny as Dave Leonard having anything to do with football. Ezra obviously sees himself as an Ambramovich and this Callum Elliott is just his puppet. More ego than money and that takes some doing. Seems the Mousehole committee have got into bed with the devil and are now up the creek etc etc. Truro and Heaney and Truro and Masters spring to mind. 

What I can’t understand is Kev has got them into the Senior cup final and there are few fixtures remaining so surely this decision could have been made at the end of the season , unless there is something that we haven’t been told .

I played against Kev and he was one of the true gents around .