Cornwall Football Forum

Walking Football West Cornwall.

On Sunday I took part in the first session of walking football at Penzance leisure centre , eight turned up for the introduction  , and after some gentle stretching , some ball work we had a game , and my God did I enjoy it , the thrill after all these years of kicking a ball , it was fantastic , the wife said when I got back home I was smiling  and she said it had done me good .  Out of the eight two had never played football but they all enjoyed it  .  Terry Williams organized it and has put a lot of ground work into it be can be contacted on  01736 798732 , or 07980895275 , or e-mail stiveswalkingfootball@ gmail.com  , the next session is next Sunday at 9 am - 10   , but if you are interested please speak to Terry first , he has some great ideas , the rules are basically  five aside but the big difference NO Running !!!!  And no physical contact .  I am nearly 56  and  overweight  but I still got a lot out of it ,  don't be put off come and give it a go if I can doit so  can you :thumbsup:.

2nd session this morning good fun ,  Terry has had some more interest , come on guys give it a go  only 3 quid for an hour , you can't even get a pint for that .  All you need is trainers , and some comfortable clothes . Ball to feet  no  physical challenges , none of us are in peak physical condition  , but you know you have had some exercise , you can go at your own pace , no pressure  . Still smiling ? !

• 3 weeks later...

Great Stuff StevieB - I play with the Devon group through Plymouth Argyle. We have matches against Torquay United and Exeter City and Bideford amongst others. I thoroughly enjoy it and love the banter of playing. I'm 50 but have had a hip replacement which means my ability to run is impaired (as well as being a porker). Still seem to give away plenty of 'running' free kicks and the odd foul. We could try and get your guys up for a match some time.

https://www.devonfa.com/players/ways-to-play/walking-football

4 hours ago, falselights said:

Great Stuff StevieB - I play with the Devon group through Plymouth Argyle. We have matches against Torquay United and Exeter City and Bideford amongst others. I thoroughly enjoy it and love the banter of playing. I'm 50 but have had a hip replacement which means my ability to run is impaired (as well as being a porker). Still seem to give away plenty of 'running' free kicks and the odd foul. We could try and get your guys up for a match some time.

https://www.devonfa.com/players/ways-to-play/walking-football

Thanks for the response  , we are a bit away from playing  matches , but that is our ultimate aim thanks for the link , I know Terry has ideas for the future down this end of the county , with games against other clubs outside the area and hopefully getting a league going , and maybe an evening session for those who can't make Sundays  . 

• 1 month later...

Hi buddy loads of walking footie in Cornwall teams I know of are is st austell, truro, tregonny, newquay, st Ives, lanevit, saints (also st austell) torpoint.

We are currently in meetings with the ccfa regarding a tournament in July in Bodmin and a steering group are meeting on Mon to sort it out. Ha a tournament last Sunday between just 3 teams but was a right blast.  Feel free to contact me on staustellwalkingfootball@outlook.com

(Just re read your message I know ferry and your group lol st Ives but may a well leave the reply go others)

Terry was going to look at the tournament last week , I was hoping to go but personal reasons prevented me ,  he has also been in contact with  the fa , so things are moving along , several of our group would like to play against other teams and hopefully soon that could become reality , anyone interested in giving it a go contact details are at the top of the post , the ages vary from 50 to seventies , great fun   .

On 08/06/2018 at 20:42, Mik123 said:

Hi buddy loads of walking footie in Cornwall teams I know of are is st austell, truro, tregonny, newquay, st Ives, lanevit, saints (also st austell) torpoint.

We are currently in meetings with the ccfa regarding a tournament in July in Bodmin and a steering group are meeting on Mon to sort it out. Ha a tournament last Sunday between just 3 teams but was a right blast.  Feel free to contact me on staustellwalkingfootball@outlook.com

(Just re read your message I know ferry and your group lol st Ives but may a well leave the reply go others)

Terry is going as well , I know there are a few things to iron out ,e.g. rules ECT all positive at present  , things moving on we did have a guest today on holiday from Birmingham  he was telling us how big it has become up there , I think we are a bit behind at present but with people like yourself , Terry and others  it should be a bright future .

• 1 month later...

Off to our first games on Sunday at Bodmin  , looking  forward to it  , so far as a group we have only played against each other  , so new experience  for us  ,  hopefully  can get some more contacts and arrange some friendlies  , on another note surprising how many have picked up injuries while training , when you say you take part in walking football people laugh when you say someone has pulled this or that . Hope to get some minutes on Sunday depends on who the boss picks , 

Stiff legs this morning , very good tournament  , six teams entered and we came second overall  , won two drawn 3 , lost on goal difference ,  first time we played against , other teams great experience , some good football played and very competitive  , considering the age involved , don't think you every lose the will to win ,  a couple of very good goalies playing , and very old style competitive on the pitch  , but all handshakes and chatting to each other afterwards  . Well done to the CCFA for organising this they get a lot of stick on this forum , but they have made a nearly 56 year old very happy . Personally  it was a good feeling packing up my kit to play football again after all these years , congratulations  to St. Agnes on winning , and thanks to all teams and officials involved hopefully  more over 5os will take up this fun sport .

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Ron Manager said:

Im looking to start playing walking football. i'm in Truro area 50 years old reasonably fit'ish not worried where the team is as long as the time and day suits me.  Any team out there looking for players?

If you try the CCFA website it should give you  nearest teams to yourself , if no opening  we train Sunday morning 9 to 10 at  mounts Bay school on the 3 g if wet we have access  to their indoor court , £4 per week subs  , spaces are open with us . Details for our club at the top of the post , good luck in finding a club , hopefully more over 50s will take this sport up , there is talk of a league in the future   which would be great and in the future maybe a  team representing Cornwall , we have already had two invites  to tournaments in Swindon  and France but unfortunately  at present we are unable to take part  do to work and holidays . Hopefully you can get sorted locally if not you would be more than welcome  to join us .

6 hours ago, RAPPO said:

I’ve been playing walking football for years Phil!!!!! ?

Nice one Rappo, your not alone!!

Been playing walking football over in  Portugal with a bunch of expats and didn't think it would be for me, but I really enjoyed it. Even scored a few goals which was nice for a retired left back!!!