Cornwall Football Forum

Penryn athletic next season

This dogs had its day hasn't it? Last time I visited it was deteriorating to the point where I wasn't surprised when only a handful of spectators arrived, and none of which used the 'clubhouse' afterwards. Brown envelopes are great but you shouldn't forget what should also be happening in the background, standstill for a moment and others was cease the chance....Falmouth town!

This is a big decision for the club and they need to get the right man for the job.

Penryn has always been one of the best clubs to play against, on the pitch and in the clubhouse over the 20 years I played for Perranwell.

Penryn were always a top 3 side in the combination league with some quality players in every position.....especially in the attacking third.

Whoever they appoint needs to be bring back the passion and success that Penryn used to have and need to have in a higher league

Make the right decision for the future not just for now!!

7 hours ago, Sijames said:

This dogs had its day hasn't it? Last time I visited it was deteriorating to the point where I wasn't surprised when only a handful of spectators arrived, and none of which used the 'clubhouse' afterwards. Brown envelopes are great but you shouldn't forget what should also be happening in the background, standstill for a moment and others was cease the chance....Falmouth town!

Brown envelopes (?) don't think so.

I've been there over 35 years and never seen one yet.

Sponsors have remunerated players, the club has never done it......lucky to get travelling money at our place.

Whoever gets the job has a very good base to start with , great pitch , and  facilities  , good large bar area , kitchen ECT , some good young players the downside is Older ?  , only joking , never had the privilege to play on the pitch  but it is deceiving how big it is and another plus they own  the ground  , which is good for the future of the club . 

2 hours ago, stevieb said:

Whoever gets the job has a very good base to start with , great pitch , and  facilities  , good large bar area , kitchen ECT , some good young players the downside is Older ?  , only joking , never had the privilege to play on the pitch  but it is deceiving how big it is and another plus they own  the ground  , which is good for the future of the club . 

Hey you lippy !!!! 5 candidates up to yesterday.

Couple of them don't have any managerial experience so that would be a gamble even though they are very well known. One name will get penryn to where they want to be but that is also a gamble because it will be a whole new team who will move when he does.

On 15/04/2018 at 19:02, Alf said:

Couple of them don't have any managerial experience so that would be a gamble even though they are very well known. One name will get penryn to where they want to be but that is also a gamble because it will be a whole new team who will move when he does.

A subtle riddle presumably referring to Carharrack?

With the Reserves struggling for players and with an exodus from the first team - the  reserve team do not have the numbers nor quality of player to make the step up to Combination. Unless there is some very hard work put in by the Carharrack Committee, I can see the first team folding at the season end - maybe even the club!!

Gutting for the loyal Carharrack volunteers. I’m guessing that failing the ground grading and the size of the facilities at Carharrack helped make the decision for Harry. Maybe the Penryn players that are edged out will move over to Carharrack? 

Regardless, good luck to Penryn, Harry and the players next season. The hard work starts now for Carharrack. 

Haha. Do you live in the real world?  What’s the likelyhood of them going over to Carharrack? They’ll either play with their mates in lower league or go where their manager goes. 

Unfortunately in the combo league. Players will follow a manager!

will wait to see the outcome on who’s going to be new manager but I’d be surprised if it was announced befoore end of season 

Penryn need to get out of the Combination league, a Club with their setup shouldn't be scratching around in the lower leagues, they need to get back into the peninsula leagues and start making their way back to the forefront of cornish football, as for the Carharrack manager if he does take the job good luck to him, at least he's trying to better himself by going to a Club with the potential to compete in higher divisions and i use the word "potential" as im sure there's lots of hard work ahead of penryn to get back to where they were.

They could always do what a certain club in the county is doing at the minute and try and buy your way to success and dress it up as a huge community based drive to improve football in cornwall, lots of local boys playing in that team with some proper cornish names ?

6 hours ago, B_D said:

With the Reserves struggling for players and with an exodus from the first team - the  reserve team do not have the numbers nor quality of player to make the step up to Combination. Unless there is some very hard work put in by the Carharrack Committee, I can see the first team folding at the season end - maybe even the club!!

Gutting for the loyal Carharrack volunteers. I’m guessing that failing the ground grading and the size of the facilities at Carharrack helped make the decision for Harry. Maybe the Penryn players that are edged out will move over to Carharrack? 

Regardless, good luck to Penryn, Harry and the players next season. The hard work starts now for Carharrack. 

I've heard a rumour of the replacement... carharrack will be fine. However another club may struggle!. Unfortunaley thats football.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 21:34, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Decision being made tomorrow night I'm told.

Still nothing to Announce? I believe the Manager and players have been told.

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 15:13, S Abbo said:

I've heard a rumour of the replacement... carharrack will be fine. However another club may struggle!. Unfortunaley thats football.

That is only football in recent years.

I'm not in the know but I think failing the ground grading wasn't the real reason for Carharrack not moving up a league. I think the Club had worked out that the financial risk was too great together with the knowledge that there are a lot of players in the Combo who don't want Peninsula football because they cannot, for various reasons such as work and/or family commitments, contemplate playing matches away in Devon. Even with the rumoured league changes, even playing games as far away as Callington, Bude or Torpoint just isn't an attractive proposition. The additional travelling costs, plus the pressure to "pay" players at the next level up, just didn't appeal to Carharrack. The Combo is a great little set-up for football worth watching in West Cornwall and Carharrack are a great little Combo club, I look forward to developments with interest.

5 hours ago, Tom Trust said:

I'm not in the know but I think failing the ground grading wasn't the real reason for Carharrack not moving up a league. I think the Club had worked out that the financial risk was too great together with the knowledge that there are a lot of players in the Combo who don't want Peninsula football because they cannot, for various reasons such as work and/or family commitments, contemplate playing matches away in Devon. Even with the rumoured league changes, even playing games as far away as Callington, Bude or Torpoint just isn't an attractive proposition. The additional travelling costs, plus the pressure to "pay" players at the next level up, just didn't appeal to Carharrack. The Combo is a great little set-up for football worth watching in West Cornwall and Carharrack are a great little Combo club, I look forward to developments with interest.

But the manager has ambitions to manage in a higher league I believe (maybe wrong). I heard the club failed the grading and it would cost to much to do. And, as you say, it’s not worth it as a local football club. Just sustain at the current level. There are no rewards for playing higher