Cornwall Football Forum

City at Treyew for another season!

2 minutes ago, Goldeneye said:

You needn't contact your councilor in any official capacity, just as a rate payer. I've contacted my county Councilor and given him my views. 

That's good - more of us should do the same.

Personally, on such a emotive subject, I think I would have liked a referendum for the whole of the residents of Cornwall to vote. Probably the only way we would have really known the people's preference. 

3 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

The monies will come from a fund that Cornwall Council has already allocated for CAPITAL projects that arise. It cannot be used to offset cutbacks in REVENUE expenditure. 

I know full well how local government works, I was in it for 37 years !!!

Many years ago a similar project was built using that very fund, and it was matched with European one funding to get it built.

It lost over 10 million in its first 12 years, that money had been ring fenced for that eventuality, when that money was gone it fell back onto the revenue account to keep it viable...it still loses money today.

At one stage the facility was tendered to the private sector, on the basis of who could run it for the least loss (!) surprisingly no-one tendered for the contract even though any shortfall would be made up by the ratepayer (stakeholder) from the revenue account....nuff said.

I hope it is built, but with private sector money, the ones who are really going to use it.

11 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

That's good - more of us should do the same.

Personally, on such a emotive subject, I think I would have liked a referendum for the whole of the residents of Cornwall to vote. Probably the only way we would have really known the people's preference. 

The problem is if you go down that route people would want a referendum for lots of things. We elect MP's and councillors to make these decisions. I will accept whatever decision they make.

1 hour ago, Goldeneye said:

The problem is if you go down that route people would want a referendum for lots of things. We elect MP's and councillors to make these decisions. I will accept whatever decision they make.

I’m sure they’ll make the right decision.

In the meantime I’m looking forward to a rare opportunity to see one of my ex-teams in action at Treyew Road as helping out Piran Films.

11 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I know full well how local government works, I was in it for 37 years !!!

Many years ago a similar project was built using that very fund, and it was matched with European one funding to get it built.

It lost over 10 million in its first 12 years, that money had been ring fenced for that eventuality, when that money was gone it fell back onto the revenue account to keep it viable...it still loses money today.

At one stage the facility was tendered to the private sector, on the basis of who could run it for the least loss (!) surprisingly no-one tendered for the contract even though any shortfall would be made up by the ratepayer (stakeholder) from the revenue account....nuff said.

I hope it is built, but with private sector money, the ones who are really going to use it.

You dont seem to be to concerned about your money being spent on the Hall for Cornwall project.???

6 hours ago, somersetspur said:

You dont seem to be to concerned about your money being spent on the Hall for Cornwall project.???

Because that is for the general populace.

9 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

Well I suppose in that time you must have made decisions with the very best intentions and some turned out to be good decisions and some bad! 

All good I'm afraid, always very careful with others money.

5 hours ago, Rayvon said:

One thing for sure Older we will never see you at the HFC I think that the last time you attended there Vera Lynn was top of the bill, not that I'm saying your old or anything :thumbsup:

Went to hall for Cornwall a couple of years ago for a dance show - very good it was too.

6 hours ago, somersetspur said:

You cant say that.

How do you know.?

So the S4C is built,and a big pop artist is booked to play  a concert there.

100's would be coming from all over Cornwall.

Would that be the same 100s who would go to watch TCFC or the pirates (?) the main users of the stadium.

Hall for Cornwall is variety ...the others are not.

On 30 March 2018 at 21:14, somersetspur said:

So how many people come from North Cornwall and west of Penzance ,to visit the H4C on a regular basis.?

Bet I can tell you

When I go to the Hall for Cornwall I talk to people who come from all over Cornwall. I'm with Older on this one. I've been amazed over the last 12 months or so how ignorant a lot of people are about the good work the Hall for Cornwall does and why the upgrade is needed. A lot of people just look at the headline and don't bother to look at the detail. So shortsighted!!

On 06/03/2018 at 21:45, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

There is still a big IF the stadium gets built (!)

I believe it will not be built as they cannot justify it.....loss maker as identified by the pirates themselves.

No stadium ....big, big trouble for TCFC, it's starting to look like death by a thousand cuts.

Older everyone at Truro City are very grateful to hear that you will be donating some of your fat Cornwall Council pension towards the new Stadium for Truro City when it gets the go ahead, even Mattelot said he would do his bit by delivering a few extra parcels every day all for the cause, as the old saying goes every little helps and finally a Happy Easter to all my friends down the other end of the river. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Rayvon said:

Older everyone at Truro City are very grateful to hear that you will be donating some of your fat Cornwall Council pension towards the new Stadium for Truro City when it gets the go ahead, even Mattelot said he would do his bit by delivering a few extra parcels every day all for the cause, as the old saying goes every little helps and finally a Happy Easter to all my friends down the other end of the river. :thumbsup:

Happy Easter to you and Robinhio  as well Raymondo. Afraid all the extra money I've earnt will be spent in our clubhouse which is open every day by the way and it doesn't run out of beer either .?.don' know about every little bit helps .my motto is spend a Lidl live a lot .you'd  better get used to that one .?

On 30 March 2018 at 21:14, somersetspur said:

So how many people come from North Cornwall and west of Penzance ,to visit the H4C on a regular basis.?

Bet I can tell you

SSS your passion is football and you follow Truro City all over the south of England. Why, therefore, do you doubt that people who love theartre will not travel from North Cornwall and Penzance to the Hall For Cornwall. They too, have passion!!

17 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Went to hall for Cornwall a couple of years ago for a dance show - very good it was too.

Would that be the same 100s who would go to watch TCFC or the pirates (?) the main users of the stadium.

Hall for Cornwall is variety ...the others are not.

Thats my point.

Its not just for Pirates and TCFC.

1 hour ago, Goldeneye said:

SSS your passion is football and you follow Truro City all over the south of England. Why, therefore, do you doubt that people who love theartre will not travel from North Cornwall and Penzance to the Hall For Cornwall. They too, have passion!!

I have'nt said people dont travel from the ends of Cornwall to the H4C.

I asked how many travel ? and  you cant say, there would be less numbers travelling to see events at the S4C.

6 hours ago, mattelot said:

Happy Easter to you and Robinhio  as well Raymondo. Afraid all the extra money I've earnt will be spent in our clubhouse which is open every day by the way and it doesn't run out of beer either .?.don' know about every little bit helps .my motto is spend a Lidl live a lot .you'd  better get used to that one .?

With all that money you are earning Nige I'm  sure you are paying a nice bit of tax so you will be contributing to our new stadium so thanks for your support. As for the clubhouse our chairman owns Bunters and the Kazbah so only needs to open clubhouse on matchdays. You should be thankful that your clubhouse is open every day it's what keeps your club afloat I believe. :smiley20: