Cornwall Football Forum

City at Treyew for another season!

From Truro City website .....

Agreement reached for the 2018/19 campaign

AN AGREEMENT has been reached between the parties for Truro City FC to play at Treyew Road for the 2018/19 season. 
This means that supporters will be saved from making 170-mile round trip to Torquay to watch their team play home matches. 
Chairman Peter Masters said: “I had to prepare for all eventualities, including ground sharing with Torquay United, however after some very tough negotiations I was able to secure another season which will hopefully now see a seamless transition to the new Stadium for Cornwall with the added bonus of allowing us to participate in the play-offs and accept promotion to The National League if the opportunity presents itself. 
"It’s a good result for all who support the club and Cornish football.” 
The Stadium proposal goes in front of Cornwall Council in April.

4 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

AN AGREEMENT has been reached between the parties for Truro City FC to play at Treyew Road for the 2018/19 season. 
This means that supporters will be saved from making 170-mile round trip to Torquay to watch their team play home matches. 
Chairman Peter Masters said: “I had to prepare for all eventualities, including ground sharing with Torquay United, however after some very tough negotiations I was able to secure another season which will hopefully now see a seamless transition to the new Stadium for Cornwall with the added bonus of allowing us to participate in the play-offs and accept promotion to The National League if the opportunity presents itself. 

Great news that is for all truro city supporters / has made my week for sure ???⚽️

8 minutes ago, CornishRhino said:

There's no denying that this is good news and an excellent result for Truro City. Question is, can we go for promotion this season or not?!

If we can get back to winning ways and get back into the play off places anything could be possible /but got to see games out to the end when we go in front early unlike the last 2 home games 

43 minutes ago, CornishRhino said:

I was more thinking along the lines of would the National League allow us to play one season at Conference level if there was a guarantee the new stadium would be built for the start of the following season?! In other words, ready for the 2019/2020 season.

I would hope that the question had been asked to the national league/ i think if we have got a stadium in place we will be ok but got to wait on the outcome of the council meeting in april /if we do make it to the conference what upgrades if any would have to be made to treyew rd to beable to play in the conference would they want to pay out to upgrade if only staying for another season ?

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Is anybody connected with the football club, familiar with the story, of the boy that cried wolf???

Nobody, with even a modicum of sense, EVER thought we would be playing anywhere else but Treyew road.

29 minutes ago, Mrgreen said:

Is anybody connected with the football club, familiar with the story, of the boy that cried wolf???

Nobody, with even a modicum of sense, EVER thought we would be playing anywhere else but Treyew road.

When did you tell us that Truro would be playing at Treyew Road in the 2018/2019 season? I must have missed that post!

16 minutes ago, somersetspur said:

Not so much ,pulling a rabbit out the hat.

More like problems with Helicals developement proposal's.

There's no chance in all this that Lidl might pull out is there? And then of course there's the £2m that was being made available to the S4C. So many unknowns!

17 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

There's no chance in all this that Lidl might pull out is there? And then of course there's the £2m that was being made available to the S4C. So many unknowns!

Your right its good news,staying at Treyew Rd.

But looking into the future,its just getting cloudier with all the uncertainty,and the smoke screen ,Masters keeps around the Club,dont help supporters worries.

13 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I didn't say it's good news, although it is of course. Much better than Torquay!

What I was trying to say was that ,despite the good news about Treyew Rd,and all the so called, hard months of negotiating,by the Chairman.

It just raise's so many more question's.

As you say,what is happening with Lidl's.?

Would Lidl's pull out of the developement.?They are a big company and wont be messed about.

What if there is negative ,decisions concerning the S4C in the next couple of months.?

No new investments,or new owner's,on the horizon.

Why dont TCFC spend the millions,to try and get Treyew Road ,back.?

All these question's that wont get answered,and leave us in exactly the same position, this time next season.

Its just one step forward,and two back.

As I think I heard there were not enough retailers signed up to seal their spot on Treyew Road as yet but the rug could be pulled at any time during  next season meaning groundshare at Torquay is always open.

By playing at Plainmoor ,Truro would save a lot of money on travelling expenses and it would be interesting  if they could claim a bigger support from South Devon  football followers..

I thought planning permission had been granted, so the development is not waiting on the Council.  It is the money which is lacking, and the Council cannot afford to back white elephants.  What happened to the money from the sale of Treyew Road ?  Surely that was enough to build a new stadium.

Who is paying for Falmouth's new ground?

2 hours ago, Outsider said:

I thought planning permission had been granted, so the development is not waiting on the Council.  It is the money which is lacking, and the Council cannot afford to back white elephants.  What happened to the money from the sale of Treyew Road ?  Surely that was enough to build a new stadium.

Who is paying for Falmouth's new ground?

The sale of OUR OWN ground ! ?

2 hours ago, Outsider said:

If Falmouth can do it, without the Council help, why can't Truro?   I, as a council tax payer, object to the Council backing a scheme like this, when they are cutting all kinds of services.

Because Truro  dont have a ground to sell ! ?

7 hours ago, mattelot said:

The sale of OUR OWN ground ! ?

Any idea how much Falmouth Town are in debt Mattelot, I could tell you but I expect you already know, you would be closer to the mark if you said we own PART OF OUR OWN GROUND otherwise you would not be selling your lions den as you used to call it. :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Rayvon said:

Any idea how much Falmouth Town are in debt Mattelot, I could tell you but I expect you already know, you would be closer to the mark if you said we own PART OF OUR OWN GROUND otherwise you would not be selling your lions den as you used to call it. :thumbsup:

If the case .then a part is better than NOTHING !!! ?

12 hours ago, Fanfare said:

Did Truro not have a covenant or something meaning that a new ground has to be available before they can sell but if they don't own Treyew Road then I guess the point is moot.

Wasn't part of the arrangement with the developers that a ground would be found - that's where Silverbow came in and went! 

Miek - it's all very confusing to be honest! Will Helical have already done that on the planning being agreed a couple of months ago for the Retail park on Treyew?

Certainly the suggestion put out online by Cornwalllive was that "£2 million of ring-fenced money to either spend on the Stadium for Cornwall at Langarth, Threemilestone, on the outskirts of Truro or on ground-sharing with another club.

Philip King, for Helical Retail Limited, confirmed that the £2 million - as part of what's known as a Section 106 planning permission condition - will go towards protecting Truro City FC's future and was dependent on the retail scheme being approved.

He said: "We want to move forward with consent on this as we have two retailers already signed up for the scheme. We will be able to proceed from May 2018."

It was all systems go just a few weeks ago, now it's going to be twelve months before work starts at Treyew! So who knows what might happen next?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/03/2018 at 13:56, Dave Deacon said:

The development is waiting for the Council to decide whether they will put the required shortfall money in to getting it built!

Heard that council have agreed but it has to be passed at a full meeting.

Sort of agreed : “However rather than provide the full amount requested the council is looking to give £3m with the other £3m coming from the Government, following a recommendation from its officers.”

This link outlines the latest position

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/stadium-cornwall-council-leaders-vote-1394338.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Listening to the debate on Radio Cornwall  re The Stadium for Cornwall-To me it is the Stadium for Pirates/Truro City as there are no facilities for an Athletics track/Swimming pool,Gymnastics arena and  even a Speedway track was mentioned.

For one  I cannot see Bude Fencing club  or simliar using the complex  (example)

Carn Brea Leisure Athleticis facility needs a new running track as no more events can be arranged and their spokesman says the Cornwall Council cannot  or will not provide funds.

II the Pirates are so convinced of this project why have no one from the private sector come on board to back the venture to top up the shortfall. Reading their forum they dont care 'two hoots' of how the 365 day Stadium will be financed  as long as they get to play their 14 or so matches a season

The Pirates and Truro City are desperate for survival at any cost and if the Pirates and its benefactor had gone in 10 years or so ago to build this complex it would have been up,and running long before now just as Sandy Park the home of Exteter chiefs had developed without financial support from elsewhere.

I can not see Camborne and Redruth Rugby clubs agreeing to see its losing their lifetime of staging the  Crnwall County games to Threemilestone.

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Sort of agreed : “However rather than provide the full amount requested the council is looking to give £3m with the other £3m coming from the Government, following a recommendation from its officers.”

This link outlines the latest position

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/stadium-cornwall-council-leaders-vote-1394338.amp?__twitter_impression=true

What happens if the Government decide not to put in £3 million? Back to the people of Cornwall to ask for more money?

What benefit does this have to anyone the other side of Bodmin? All taxpayers money. Like someone said if it was a nailed on financial gain why has nobody from the private sector intervened & backed it personally?

Who or what happens if it were to fail? 

I suggest if your local councillor backs it...not to vote for them next time around!! 

1 hour ago, Soccer Follower said:

What happens if the Government decide not to put in £3 million? Back to the people of Cornwall to ask for more money?

Something I was asking myself and also how quickly will they give an answer - everything has dragged on so long already, they can't allow another year or two!

8 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Something I was asking myself and also how quickly will they give an answer - everything has dragged on so long already, they can't allow another year or two!

Negativity rules Cornwall! Would the last person out of Cornwall please turn out the lights!

15 minutes ago, Goldeneye said:

As 'Mr Football' in Cornwall have you been in touch with councillors and asked them to support the Stadium? 

Why bother with the council just put it onto this thread because they all seem to have a answer all be it negative ones.

15 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

OH !!! dear, lets hope the full council vote against it.

Build it by all means, in central Cornwall, and with their own money - not mine and yours.

As for spending my money I think I will have my own opinion on that one,by the way I do not watch Truro or the Pirates play but as I stated before it would great for Cornwall to have a stadium for people in Cornwall to play in or just have the opportunity to watch sport at a reasonable level

18 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

OH !!! dear, lets hope the full council vote against it.

Build it by all means, in central Cornwall, and with their own money - not mine and yours.

'Not mine or yours?!!' A bit arrogant to think you speak for everyone Older. I'm quite happy for some of the money I've paid to the Council to go towards the Stadium. Sounds that if you were in charge of the council it would be a dictatorship!! ?

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Hey !!! if ya'll want to build it and subsidise millionaire businesses - git on with it.

And when it's losing buckets of money - put yer hand in your pocket again.....git on with that as well.

How can they possibly support this with all of the cutbacks they have made in the last few years.

The monies will come from a fund that Cornwall Council has already allocated for CAPITAL projects that arise. It cannot be used to offset cutbacks in REVENUE expenditure.