Cornwall Football Forum

Extreme weather routine?

I was just wondering if common sense would prevail anytime soon, and the leagues would issue some sort of extreme weather routine in which clubs could call games off today? Tomorrow at the latest? Seems silly to delay the inevitable and risk the lives of the players just to see if a pitch is deemed playable or not?! Most other leagues in the country and certainly from up north do this, why the wait?

It's been posted several times before but there is already provision for this within the Trelawny league

b. Games shall not be postponed prior to the morning of the match however, during periods of protracted bad weather or in the event of a significant weather event the League Secretary may direct that games can be postponed on the day preceding the fixture(s) by clubs providing that: i. A responsible club official has checked the pitch conditions or. ii. There is no realistic chance of play.

15 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

I would have thought that it’s not the grounds but the surrounding areas that could be the problem in this case.

Agreed, although when the snow and ice melts it'll go into the pitches and they'll be near unplayable anyway. Personally think despite the backlog of games, the safety of the footballers and those travelling to and from games potentially giving lifts etc need to be considered as soon as possible. Someone grow a pair and make the call sooner rather than later !

There is already dialogue within the League regarding the situation. At the moment, we are monitoring the weather. As Peggy has already eluded to, this situation is already covered in our League Rules. If the league make the decision to allow teams to postpone their games early, that will be released via email, Facebook and Twitter to the appropriate people.

Of course, player safety is our most important consideration !

19 hours ago, B_D said:

There is already dialogue within the League regarding the situation. At the moment, we are monitoring the weather. As Peggy has already eluded to, this situation is already covered in our League Rules. If the league make the decision to allow teams to postpone their games early, that will be released via email, Facebook and Twitter to the appropriate people.

Of course, player safety is our most important consideration !

So do you plan on actually doing this? Or are you going to leave every junior club in limbo and just wondering what's going on? Marking pitches out needlessly? Stocking bars? Ordering food? Having to do this in terrible and unsafe conditions just because no one has the vision to make this call NOW!!!!? I can't believe for the life of me that the league would prefer to get games played and on over the safety of their clubs personnel. 

Taken from the SWPL:-

'I notice Phil Hiscox has granted home  clubs permission to postpone fixtures as of 9am tomorrow morning. Advised not only the state of pitches but also the distances the visiting team has to travel ( highlighting player/officials travel safety ) interesting to see which clubs will use common sense'

TAKE NOTE!

3 hours ago, Jimmer06 said:

Cant help but feel that all Sijames does on here is moan.

And that's why I no longer respond to his posts. It gets a bit tedious after a while!

1 hour ago, WendronOfficial said:

In all fairness, the Trelawny League are normally very proactive in this. I think by tomorrow we could see a fair few games on. Obvisouly some may be waterlogged with rain and melting snow; but at this time of year and wit previous backlogs there must be cooperation to get these games on. 

We didn't want people to start panic-postponing. I've taken a drive around this morning and visited a few grounds (got a new car so been zooming around in that), the pitches I visited were fine. Obviously if we have rain overnight, this could be detrimental.

But of course, myself, Dave James and Rob have been in talks all week regarding the weather and we will continue to do so through into tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, B_D said:

And that's why I no longer respond to his posts. It gets a bit tedious after a while!

We didn't want people to start panic-postponing. I've taken a drive around this morning and visited a few grounds (got a new car so been zooming around in that), the pitches I visited were fine. Obviously if we have rain overnight, this could be detrimental.

But of course, myself, Dave James and Rob have been in talks all week regarding the weather and we will continue to do so through into tomorrow. 

Now who says the league officers aren't proactive ????