Cornwall Football Forum

RGB CORNWALL SENIOR CUP - Wednesday Feb 7, 2018

25 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Wednesday 7th February

CORNWALL SENIOR CUP QUARTER FINAL: 7.30PM

Bodmin Town      P-P    Torpoint Athletic (now to be played at Torpoint on Saturday)

St Austell       v       Falmouth Town - pitch inspection this afternoon

St A v Fal is ON! Away win, 3-2. 

4 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Wednesday 7th February

CORNWALL SENIOR CUP QUARTER FINAL: 7.30PM

Bodmin Town      P-P    Torpoint Athletic (now to be played at Torpoint on Saturday)

St Austell       v       Falmouth Town - pitch inspection this afternoon

With the forecast for Saturday have they considered bringing the game forward to Friday?

Having watched both these teams half a dozen times each this season, I had Falmouth down as winners in the prediction league, especially looking at the CCFA website and seeing Giler showing as suspended for two games, however Giler started so obviously the CCFA site is not up to date.

First half started very sprightly for Falmouth who had lots of possession, although their distribution in the final third was very poor. There were clearly reasons why Tom Annear started as left back (he didn't look comfortable) and Josh Richards as right back - especially as Falmouths 6,7 and 8  all had games to forget, very poor on the night. The assistant ref made an horrendous decision mid way through the first half, calling back Goldsworthy for an offside that he was well onside for - however he subsequently made up for it by not giving a clear offside, prior to the ball being crossed in for Goldsworthy to score a well finished header. 1-0 at half time which was unfair on Falmouth, but they just seemed to be lacking any 'spirit' and were very flat.

Early in second half Falmouths keeper made a fantastic save from an 'over the shoulder' volley by Watts, however Giler scored a header following a parried save from the keeper and you could see Falmouths will dying even more. Falmouths 3, 6 and 8 were all subbed and Richards brought into the middle that gave stability but all a bit too late. Can't comment on the penalty miss or 3rd goal as I decided to leave before the last 5 as game was over and it was freezing.

I have previously thought that St Austells midfield were weak, however happy to be proved wrong and  tonight they outclassed Falmouth and were very well organised. Knowing the pace that Falmouth had up front I was very surprised that they did not exploit the pace at the back for St Austell (their two centre backs are outstanding, just not the fastest). St Austell were solid and organised rather than playing really well, whereas the Falmouth management team will be disappointed by the performance of several of their players.

Good luck to St Austell - they will need to improve a bit and the next draw will be critical - but can see them being real contenders for the cup.

I think the main difference between the two sides on the night was the deliveries into the box for the strikers ,st Austell put in three great crosses and scored from them , olly Walker could beat his man and go back and beat him again but he cannot cross or pick the right ball in the final third. same with Luke braybyn he has to cut in and shoot rather than cross, which results in nothing for Falmouth strikers to get on the end of . The Falmouth front two are constantly trying to make chances for themselves!