Cornwall Football Forum

STANDING STILL IS NO LONGER AN OPTION FOR MOUSEHOLE

MOUSEHOLE AFC APPLY FOR PROMOTION TO THE SWPL PREMER DIVISION

Mousehole AFC confirm they have submitted an application for promotion from Division 1 West to the Premier Division of the South West Peninsula League.

The club were founder members of the SWP League 10 years ago, after playing since 1962 in the Cornwall Combination League, and have been continuous members of the West Division at Step 7 since then.

Already the geographically most western-based team in the West Division, promotion would involve the club in greater travelling distances into Devon, whereas at present the longest journeys are to Plymouth and West Devon.

Mousehole won the West Division title comfortably in 2015/16 but had already decided not to apply for promotion that season because of the need for further development of the club’s infrastructure and finances. 

This season The Seagulls are in the top six in the West Division table, with an impressive run of form that has seen only one defeat since the end of September, together with a 100% home record. Of the 14 remaining League fixtures, nine are at home and five away.

To be eligible for promotion from Step 7, the team needs to finish in the top-three and ahead of its fellow promotion applicants, and the club needs to demonstrate it can make improvements to the ground and facilities to meet Step 6 standards.

Explaining Mousehole’s decision to apply for promotion, Chairman Tim Richardson said: “The club’s ambition is to play at the highest possible level and we launched a plan last summer to achieve just that, but in a sustainable manner. A great deal of work has already taken place to strengthen the club’s infrastructure, and we have a schedule of works to bring the ground up to Step 6 requirements, as well as a process to put the necessary finances in place. On the playing side we have a superb management and coaching set-up and an ideal blend of youth and experience, including players who have stayed loyal to the club in recent times, some of the best local players who have chosen to join us, and a promising crop of youngsters coming through the junior teams: they all deserve the chance to test themselves and develop their abilities at a higher level.” 

Now into his sixth season as Chairman of The Seagulls, Richardson continued: “Our supporters - many of whom have been associated with the club in various roles for several decades - will relish seeing their team competing with some of the best non-league teams in the south-west. On the travelling side, some people might think we are too far away ‘on the edge of the map’, and of course there will be some longer journeys.....but we already do a lot of miles, so we can cope with the extra distances (right now, we’re looking into replacing our team bus, which will help!). Looking at it another way, our location might give us a bit of an advantage when far-away clubs have to visit us! So, after 10 years in the West Division, and with the superb support of the newly-established Endorsed Academy, we’re ready for the challenge of stepping up, in the belief that standing still is not an option, and you only improve by setting yourself higher standards.”

11 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Already the geographically most western-based team in the West Division, promotion would involve the club in greater travelling distances into Devon, whereas at present the longest journeys are to Plymouth and West Devon.

All the best to Mousehole but why does this have to be mentioned? It's a South West league so of course they'll have to travel to Devon, its not a Cornwall league! 

Stop going on about travelling ffs......if a football match finishes at 445pm in east Devon you can be home in West cornwall at 630/7pm to be with your mates or play x box or go out on the for your sisters cats anniversary.people who harp on about travelling blatantly haven’t played much sport at a higher level....it happens every weekend to some people just chew it and get on with it.....an hour and a half in a car is not the end of the world

The FA calls it progress Big Al. If anyone wants to know what travelling is all about try supporting Truro City, then you will know what spending hours on the road is all about. I for one would love to go back to the SWL days, the end of season presentations at the White Hart were legendary. I even met the groundsman of the year there once, I wonder who that was???

41 minutes ago, Rayvon said:

The FA calls it progress Big Al. If anyone wants to know what travelling is all about try supporting Truro City, then you will know what spending hours on the road is all about. I for one would love to go back to the SWL days, the end of season presentations at the White Hart were legendary. I even met the groundsman of the year there once, I wonder who that was???

41 minutes ago, Rayvon said:

What days they were - good crowd support home and away and tremendous atmosphere. The officials were human then along with the friendly officials of the clubs.

13 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Congratulations to Mousehole, lets hope you can achieve your goals. I wonder why this was never considered when Dwayne Quinn was in charge & they finished in the promotion places? Unless Dwayne himself didn't want to do it? Same reasons as Bodmin more than likely. At least they are doing it now. Will Bodmin ever do it?

9 hours ago, gingerninja said:

All the best to Mousehole but why does this have to be mentioned? It's a South West league so of course they'll have to travel to Devon, its not a Cornwall league! 

Not strong on Geography then ....lol

One and a half hours in a car from Mousehole ....you won't even be at the Tamar bridge by then (!)

Read Rayvon's post, there is the reality.

I agree, if you want to play decent football you’ve got to spend a few hours in a car or coach, was all part of the day for me! A good laugh with the lads, many a good memory. Even the old SWL secretary always fixturing you somewhere up Devon on a bank holiday! Lovely 4 hour trip to Appledore or Clyst Rovers! Bit of a long trip home if you played crap though! Think of the Truro City lads and loyal supporters every away game!!! Just get on with it and play as high a standard as you can ?⚽️

2 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

I agree, if you want to play decent football you’ve got to spend a few hours in a car or coach, was all part of the day for me! A good laugh with the lads, many a good memory. Even the old SWL secretary always fixturing you somewhere up Devon on a bank holiday! Lovely 4 hour trip to Appledore or Clyst Rovers! Bit of a long trip home if you played crap though! Think of the Truro City lads every away game!!! Just get on with it and play as high a standard as you can ?⚽️

Read Rayvon's post.

travel wont be an issue, but money will be very soon for mousehole i understand they hardly make a profit on matchdays so where will the extra money come from to fund the transport and brown envelopes for the players when they move up to the SWPL Prem? it could all end in tears very quickly i am afraid.

8 hours ago, Sijames said:

travel wont be an issue, but money will be very soon for mousehole i understand they hardly make a profit on matchdays so where will the extra money come from to fund the transport and brown envelopes for the players when they move up to the SWPL Prem? it could all end in tears very quickly i am afraid.

Hehe. ???

On 31/01/2018 at 08:25, Sijames said:

Don’t be so bitter 

jealousy never ends well

On 31/01/2018 at 08:25, Sijames said:

I imagine they have a really good commitee. They will work hard to get sponsors and fundraisers in. They dont pay players do they??? .. shouldn't be a big problem. ??

CLUB HIGH LOW TOTAL GAMES AVERAGE
Bude Town 153 45 632 9 70.22
Dobwalls 58 31 348 8 43.50
Elburton Villa 71 28 336 7 48.00
Holsworthy 148 78 1,010 9 112.22
Illogan RBL 60 18 369 9 41.00
Liskeard Athletic 101 46 550 9 61.11
Ludgvan 85 42 405 7 57.85
Millbrook 55 42 414 9 46.00
Mousehole 279 55 686 7 98.00
Penzance  179 62 579 6 96.50
Plymth Marjon 52 16 323 12 26.91
Plymstock Utd 65 21 274 8 34.25
Porthleven 105 36 546 8 68.25
St Blazey 145 72 690 7 98.57
St Dennis 108 37 403 7 57.57
Wadebridge Town 72 46 463 8 57.87
Wendron United 62 27 297 7 42.42
CLUB HIGH LOW TOTAL GAMES AVERAGE

32 minutes ago, Toto said:

Oh look your not the only club that wants to move forward it’s just the rest don’t need to write everything in lights like Mousehole seam to need to do !!! 

Crickey Alan, where did that come from! With all your previous success, I am surprised at your jealousy there

1 hour ago, Toto said:

Oh look your not the only club that wants to move forward it’s just the rest don’t need to write everything in lights like Mousehole seam to need to do !!! 

Toto, the fact that you are taking the time to comment means to me that they have their marketing bang on! 

Think bigger picture .....

“Any publicity is good publicity”

Another positive result ,for Mousehole  , credit should go to all involved with Mousehole football club , coaching staff , players , committee / volunteers/sponsors,grounds staff   the club continues to go in the right direction and meet  objectives.well done to all . come on you seagulls marching on together 

Saturday 3rd Frbruary 2018

SALTASH UNITED v Sticker(home)Cornwall Senior Cup Quarter Final

Saltash United line-up:Ryan Rickard,Paul Heveran,Callum Martindale,Chris Menhenick,Callum O'Brien,Sam Leary,

Henry Wilson,Tom King,Sam Hughes,Ryan Richards,

Richard Maddison.

Subs used:Dave Trott for Henry Wilson(64 mins),

Sam Farrant for Tom King(64 mins),

Lee Phillips for Ryan Richards(77 mins).

Unused subs:Steve Sargison & Lewis Edwards.

Bookings:Wilson & Menhenick.

Result:Saltash United 6 Sticker 1       

Scorers:Richards 3(18,47 & 52 mins),Heveran (64 mins),

Phillips 2(81 & 90 mins).

Referee:Shaun Edge.

Attendance:135

After 9 weeks since the ashes last played at home it was so good to get a home fixture on.The pitch was heavy and the rain came down in fits and bursts and there was a strong wind blowing down the pitch.This did not stop a good attendance of 135.

The home side were very slow to get going and Sticker took full advantage of this when Matt Lloyd put them 1-0 in front after only 4 minutes.

The Ashes did draw level on 18 minutes with a crisp finish from home captain Ryan Richards but the game remained in the balance for the rest of the first half.

The Ashes came out more positive in the second half and for long periods overwhelmed Sticker.

Two minutes into the half and Ryan Richards turned,shot and scored in a crowded area to give the ashes the lead.

On 52 minutes it was 3-1 when Richards completed his hat-trick.The goal of the game came on 64 minutes when Sam Hughes tumbled to the ground under a defensive challenge but the ball fell to Paul Heveran who lashed a shot across the goal and into the far top corner of the net.in the last 9 minutes the Ashes added two more goals,both headers from sub Lee Phillips.the first from a corner and the second at the far post from a deep cross.