Cornwall Football Forum

An update on the Stadium for Cornwall project...

41 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

No, nothing on the infrastructure at all yet, I believe the stand and changing rooms are going to built into the top bank similar to Bickland.

As I said ....just look for the seagulls on it.

Is this the area next to the road behind the fence on the bend off the roundabout ?

43 minutes ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Nothing rude about my comments Big Al just accurate. You say you have no interest in our project but happy to call into question the funding model and how it should be the bottom of the pile if public money is being used. 

Getting this far has taken more than four years of hard work.   

Ill take your reply as an apology then?

No, not an apology. As a taxpayer for over 50 years, I have a right to question any project that at first sight would appear to be public money. Are schools not funded by the taxpayer and everything around them ?

4 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Is this the area next to the road behind the fence on the bend off the roundabout ?

No, not an apology. As a taxpayer for over 50 years, I have a right to question any project that at first sight would appear to be public money. Are schools not funded by the taxpayer and everything around them ?

Yes ....the one on the bend I have been told, there is another pitch below that which is even wetter than that one ....could be fun when it eventually gets played on.

On 27/01/2018 at 00:47, Dave Deacon said:

Am I missing something Ivor, but where does St Dennis come into things?

Sorry Dave perhaps I have it WRONG (That's the problem being an exile). - 

In recent times I saw an article with a photo of a stand it had a headboard with St Dennis painted across it, the article mentioned Boscawen Park where I assumed that was where they played, perhaps it was a bogus story like some that appear in Wikipedia from time to time.

With your superior knowledge I am eager for you to put me in my place sparing my blushes.

8 hours ago, MOUNTAINEER said:

In recent times I saw an article with a photo of a stand it had a headboard with St Dennis painted across it, the article mentioned Boscawen Park where I assumed that was where they played, perhaps it was a bogus story like some that appear in Wikipedia from time to time.

With your superior knowledge I am eager for you to put me in my place sparing my blushes.

Haven't got a clue! :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Yes ....the one on the bend I have been told, there is another pitch below that which is even wetter than that one ....could be fun when it eventually gets played on.

I have watched that one being developed and no drainage material has been placed there and it has just been covered over in deep soil - wet disaster from start to finish !

10 hours ago, MOUNTAINEER said:

I see where you are coming from Ivor-

The St.Dennis ground is called Boscawen Park up in the Clay country.

2 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

I see where you are coming from Ivor-

The St.Dennis ground is called Boscawen Park up in the Clay country.

Thank You Mike,  Being exiled has it's downside, to attend a home game costs well over £100 for the train alone almost that when using the annual Railcard I purchase each season. add to that a B&B overnight stay.  Away games are not cheap from here to Bognor, next Saturday is £45 return, with my Railcard I pay £30 involving many forms of transport, Buses (2) Trains (2) Underground (2) then reverse that after the final whistle - Watching City's away games takes approx 12 hours so no time to chat about local Cornish matters hence there are times I get things wrong.

Dave, Mike has explained my confusion so I apologise if my posting upset anyone. - Yet another Ivor 'Oops' moment.

6 hours ago, Rayvon said:

At least the new S4C will have a professional drainage system. As it will be be a stadium for Cornwall I'm sure Truro City wouldn't mind the River Boys borrowing our pitch if we are playing away. Wouldn't be a problem with traffic congestion either. :yahoo::smiley20::c:

It's not your pitch either Rayvon ...you are borrowing it as well ....remember you've lost your ground and will probably never own one again (!)

6 hours ago, Outsider said:

Both grounds probably named after Admiral Boscawen from Truro, who was also Viscount Falmouth and most likely  owned the  land where St. Dennis ground is.

Impressed with your local knowledge Outsider, do you know Mr Evelyn personally if so perhaps you could tap him up for a donation on our behalf, you never know we may see a stadium at Boscawen Park yet. Malpas that is not St Dennis lol :c:

Tommy please except that I am not knocking this project because I am glad that Falmouth are having these new facilities it is well overdue for both adults and the youngsters in that area,however if the funding is coming from the school then surely that is public money or has the money came from private sources?

Hi Smiler

Our school owned land across the busy main road into Falmouth that we used for for playing fields, but the speed and volume of traffic meant that it was too dangerous to take the students across to play there. 

Immediately next to our school was the dilapidated remains of the old Budock Hospital which was pretty much the same area as the pitches.

We sold our land to a building developer and used the money to purchase the hospital site and develop that area to use as pitches since we'd lost the ones across the road, in line with the requirements of Sport England. It has also allowed us to build the new community sports facility and the grant from the Football Foundation has helped with the new 3G pitch.

Essentially we have generated our own funds to pull the project together and no other money is being used. 

That's it in a nutshell, hope that helps.

On 26 January 2018 at 23:50, MOUNTAINEER said:

Bobjfh posted that Truro City have a couple hundred supporters - I am sorry to say HE IS WRONG, as he is about away supporters swelling the figures, truth is due to distance few clubs. swell the crowd by more than a handful. The average attendance of 502 this season is an increase of 24.88% which proves the club is not dead but will be unless the Football Club who's supporters were not responsible for it's 2012 and before demise gets assistance from the council and I don't mean £6 million - Back in 1960/61 Truro Cricket Club got a ground from the council at Boscawen Park - A precedent was set so why not offer the same option to Truro City and forget the S4C project which IMO will not work - Up grade and share with St Dennis keeping Truro City in TRURO. salvaging as much as possible from Treyew Roads current facilities.

There was no public objection when the Cricket Club were given the land that was once the rubbish tip; I played in the first game of cricket at Boscawen Park when converted from a rubbish tip, many games were played by a number of clubs almost all were league games, it destroyed lower grade cricket when it lost it's cricket home to big brother. 

Truro City attendances lowest Chippenham 288 Highest Bath City 676 Average attendance 502  Increase this season from last +24.88%

I actually had Dartford with the highest average of 979 and Truros home fixtures ranging between 288 and 676 with an average of 501 - and there is some question, I believe, as to whether the figures include season ticket holders? Even with 500 supporters at £10 a head (ignoring the large number of concession tickets) - that's £5000  per week - with a maximum 25 home games - that's £125,000 per year, which I think you will find is less than the repayment of a £2,000,000 (their third)  loan at 5.5% - and that's without player salaries, travel or other running costs - so how exactly are TCFC going to pay off the loan - or do they want it for nothing?? I am actually a supporter of the S4C - just not giving money to TCFC, until they show some commitment to the local community for Cornwall - youth / reserves / decent PR etc. or any of the above!

Tommy - it's great work being done at Falmouth and will be a real bonus for all local football there (your scheme is built around the community). Do you know if Town will be 'safe' with the SWPL - as in will they be able to convince the SWPL by the end of March that they will have a suitable ground to play on by September - they must be cutting it tight?

Not my place to say Bobjfh but Town can play at Bickland Park for a while I believe while their new pitch is being laid. Someone from the club may give a definitive answer but the future is bright both on and off the field for the club.

The new 3G will be available for all the community to use and if you're interested in using it please give the school a call and register your interest.

1 hour ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Not my place to say Bobjfh but Town can play at Bickland Park for a while I believe while their new pitch is being laid. Someone from the club may give a definitive answer but the future is bright both on and off the field for the club.

The new 3G will be available for all the community to use and if you're interested in using it please give the school a call and register your interest.

How much will it cost to use it ?

That hasn’t been discussed other than it will be in line with all other pitches like it. There has to be a sinking fund to ensure its upkeep and replacement in years to come. 

It is a community facility though and we will ensure it’s available to all on a booking basis. I guess if you’re reading this and interested then call or email the school and get your name on the list. 

9 hours ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Hi Smiler

Our school owned land across the busy main road into Falmouth that we used for for playing fields, but the speed and volume of traffic meant that it was too dangerous to take the students across to play there. 

Immediately next to our school was the dilapidated remains of the old Budock Hospital which was pretty much the same area as the pitches.

We sold our land to a building developer and used the money to purchase the hospital site and develop that area to use as pitches since we'd lost the ones across the road, in line with the requirements of Sport England. It has also allowed us to build the new community sports facility and the grant from the Football Foundation has helped with the new 3G pitch.

Essentially we have generated our own funds to pull the project together and no other money is being used. 

That's first class to me, my old school (circa 1964) doing the business...tell them brilliant from me.

Used to play on those old pitches, in the green team called Newporth.

Can't wait to visit the facility, got to be better than some of the others I've seen.

9 hours ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Hi Smiler

Tommy, your openess and honesty is somewhat refreshing.  Its not often on this forum that you get a real answer that makes sense without bowing down to be politically correct!

Nice one, and best of luck to Falmouth Town for the future.  Still the biggest club in Cornwall for me.

If you say so!

I hope for Truro's sake they can sort something out but not so keen on having to pay more council tax to fund it. It's shame they are in need of having to ask for the money for a new pitch when, if they had not gone on their adventure up the leagues they would still own their own pitch and could have pocketed the entire money from the sale of Treyew Road.  They probably could have built the Stadium for Cornwall themselves!

1 hour ago, The Town Man said:

If you say so!

I hope for Truro's sake they can sort something out but not so keen on having to pay more council tax to fund it. It's shame they are in need of having to ask for the money for a new pitch when, if they had not gone on their adventure up the leagues they would still own their own pitch and could have pocketed the entire money from the sale of Treyew Road.  They probably could have built the Stadium for Cornwall themselves!

If they had not gone on this adventure up the leagues (!) they had no choice, or they would have been gone by now !!!!!

They paid over the odds in the old days for bog standard players, with big end of season loyalty wedges that they could not afford.

Would have thought you would have understood that as well ....you did similar and have had to sell your ground to survive.!!!

Pot and kettle there town man.

How many clubs in Cornwall own their own ground that if sold to a property developer (with planning permission) would leave enough to purchase an out of town site and leave enough to build an updated ground. 

Anyone think of any club in that position?

It does not have to be a SWPL club but a village club, Trelawny, Combo, Duchy club. 

I believe that we certainly could, and have turned down some serious wedges over the last few years.

The problem being a site to move too, most of the viable local land is already spoken for it seems.

So for us at this time, we will stay where we are for the foreseeable future.......but watch this space maybe.

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I believe that we certainly could, and have turned down some serious wedges over the last few years.

The problem being a site to move too, most of the viable local land is already spoken for it seems.

So for us at this time, we will stay where we are for the foreseeable future.......but watch this space maybe.

Plenty of land up around Mabe Older, if you sold your ground built a stadium up the the old car boot field we could ground share with you and go back to both teams wearing red and black stripes. A Stadium for Penryn and Truro. Simples. :smiley20:

10 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Who knows, possibly Truro City going 'cap in hand' to old friends Falmouth Town asking to share their ground! :wacko:

The rate of building work on Falmouths new ground is so slow, they will be looking to Truro to share a ground with them !

17 hours ago, Rayvon said:

Plenty of land up around Mabe Older, if you sold your ground built a stadium up the the old car boot field we could ground share with you and go back to both teams wearing red and black stripes. A Stadium for Penryn and Truro. Simples. :smiley20:

The quarry has already bought that for expansion buddy, but I do like your idea of a couple of red and black teams joining up.....save me all that paddling.

54 minutes ago, Rayvon said:

Ray2b River Taxi sunk before its maiden voyage, oh well back to Langarth I suppose, at least we can always pop over to Chiquitoes for a Mexican at half time washed down with a Noche Buena. :smiley20:

You should have shut the sea valves before putting her in the water ....lol ...and that's all Spanish to me :smiley20: