Cornwall Football Forum

An update on the Stadium for Cornwall project...

Released this morning by Truro City FC

An update on the Stadium for Cornwall project...

THE PARTNERS in the Stadium for Cornwall project, the Cornish Pirates, Truro City FC and Truro and Penwith College, have been working for a number of years with representatives of the various land interests in the area to develop a stadium project, which could be delivered without the need for any public funding. 
During this time, we have developed detailed designs and a business plan in order to be in a position to deliver the stadium in time for the beginning of both the academic year and rugby and football seasons in 2019.  
The importance of having a stadium available in August 2019 cannot be overemphasised. The ability to draw upon a larger catchment area will ensure that the Cornish Pirates become financially sustainable, thereby securing the long-term future of the club in Cornwall. Truro City is currently chasing promotion into The National League and has been advised by The National League that it will not be allowed to play any FA-affiliated football unless it can demonstrate that it will be moving into a new permanent home in the future.
Following the recent granting of planning permission for the redevelopment of Truro City Football Club’s Treyew Road ground, the partners now have £6m committed funds and a potential borrowing capability of up to £2m contingent of the Stadium outcome. 
Originally, it was anticipated that the neighbouring development would provide both the infrastructure and the balance of the funding required to allow delivery of the project, without the requirement for any public funding.  
However, with the retail development not progressing, the infrastructure and remaining funding required will not become available to allow the stadium to be delivered in 2019. Any further delay not only puts the stadium project at risk, it also threatens the future of both the Cornish Pirates and Truro City and prevents Truro and Penwith College from establishing a new business centre, hospitality and catering academy, as well as providing new facilities for the college’s highly successful sporting academy. 
In order for the partners to deliver the stadium in 2019, independent of any neighbouring development proposals, we require £6m of public sector investment. 
We are confident that, if a way can be found to secure the remaining funding by May 2018, we can still deliver the stadium in August 2019 and, in doing so, create a new sporting, educational, business and cultural hub for the region.

So they now have at least a £6M shortfall which they want us, the Council Tax payers to pick up. If they have £6M, can raise another £2 that means this Stadium is now priced at £14M, a big jump from £10M.

Will this Stadium be viable and they can repay the money, over what term and interest rate? 

If viable why not borrow the money from banks or investment companies? Would it be the fact that the Council would be a softer touch and if the Stadium is not viable, perhaps in the future will write off the debts whilst a bank wouldn't?

If these three are allowed Council funding then in the future if any sporting club wants to update/improve their grounds then the Council must look at them favourably as well.

By mentioning dates continuously in these statements these three investors are putting a gun to the head of the Council Planners. None of them will go out of existence if there is a year's delay whilst everyone has a re-think.

29 minutes ago, Rob1978 said:

If Cornish Pirates and Truro City can continue to grow then other clubs in the region will benefit. The fact there is no stadium in cornwall in an utter joke and anyone who cannot see the long term benefits is an utter moron

Very tolerant!

As it happens I do believe that Cornwall needs a stadium for major events, concerts and sports events - such as the Senior Cup or County Youth games  

However like CTB I do question why all the householders in the County should fund a £6,000,000 shortfall - if there is a sound financial case then the money can be raised through commercial / banking sources. 

If there is not and this is a community improvement issue, for which Council Tax payers could shoulder some liability - who exactly is going to benefit. 

The Pirates have a proven development programme and links with the community and through Truro College, so they may have a possible case. 

What exactly do TCFC do to warrant a ‘prorata’ (the principle stakeholders including Truro and Penrwith College)£2,000,000 wedge of householders money???

They have no youth setup, no reserve team for local players, they have no community engagement / outreach, they have a couple hundred spectators each week of whom as many are undoubtedly away supporters.

There are also financial considerations, such as what happens if the money is paid and then TCFC (or Pirates) are sold - if the clubs are worth more due to the stadium, do individuals make money and what safeguards are there to recoup some of the £6m??

47 minutes ago, Rayvon said:

I take it that your not a TCFC fan then Bob. :thumbsup:

Rayvon - I am a fan of Football and especially Cornish football - TCFC are the best of what we have and I wish them every success on and off the pitch - simple fact is they have done absolutely nothing to ‘make’ me a fan - their PR is poor, there is no engagement with locals , no youth set up and virtually no local players - simply being the best in Cornwall does not get you fans - just my view. 

It is as I say originally. Will the stadium make enough money after overheads to pay back loans of up to £8M plus interest, of which £6-8M would be to the local tax payers?

This part of the statement proves the Pirates are not on a sound footing - The ability to draw upon a larger catchment area will ensure that the Cornish Pirates become financially sustainable, thereby securing the long-term future of the club in Cornwall.

A further gun to the Councillors head in the statement - Truro City is currently chasing promotion into The National League and has been advised by The National League that it will not be allowed to play any FA-affiliated football unless it can demonstrate that it will be moving into a new permanent home in the future.

Does this mean and will be used to say, no Stadium, no TCFC?

We already know TCFC are looking for someone with deep pockets and will need even deeper ones if they move to the S4C.

Finally that extra £2M is not a given so they could want £8M (quote - and a potential borrowing capability of up to £2m contingent of the Stadium outcome.)

The statement is merely a fishing line to see if there is any support.

Look at the football community support we have, no you don't, and you don't have the crowds to support such an investment either.

Piggy backing on the Pirates and the college, and hoping for the council to prop you up as well, but it is not the council ...it is the ratepayer.

Such a shame that the smoke and mirrors behind the last decade at Truro City still rumble on. The stadium for Cornwall was probably the final opportunity for its remaining beneficiaries to put right the wrongs of a period that has seen a club with longevity and history made homeless in the capital, right underneath the noses of people who have cared for it and acted as guardians over decades.

As a neutral, I am not against the S4C if funded corrrectly, but as a man running a Youth Football Club accredited the Charter Standard and a Cricket Club that adheres to Clubmark, the cricketing equivalent; We have to demonstrate sustainability now, not a projected hope for it. Its difficult enough applying for funding from designated pots to provide pipe dreams, but to expect a taxpayers leg up for the biggest facility upgrade of them all would be the biggest slap in the face for every hardworking volunteer who works tirelessly week in and week out simply to keep their respective clubs lights on.

But it may happen.

It may happen with limited parking so the white elephant that is the park and ride scheme can support match days to artificially boost the stats and prove there was enough demand to decimate an entire valley after all. It may happen to create a gym, fit for those that are able to buy second home, 3 Bed new builds in TR1 for £380k and of course; those extra inhabitants may put pressure on the multi million pound facilities at Truro College so they had better bolt on a classroom and use them as ambassadors to comply with the multi use tick box.

It could stage high profile music events to raise extra revenue I hear people say. By competing with and potentially diluting the income from the Eden Sessions, it would seriously harm the long term future of a much more lucrative asset to Cornwall than an empty stadium. An asset that has also received a phenomenal amount of money to keep it evolving that could then disappear overnight at the cost of many jobs. This stadium has a lot to answer for considering 500 football fans may visit every other week.

The chap Webb who mysteriously went from being in property maintenance to becoming a purveyor of Truro’s most coveted car park, Heaney himself and all those that rode the donkey whilst it chased the carrot on a string, give yourselves a round of applause for ignoring warnings, history and leaving the taxpayer to finalise your legacy.

Imagine the thoughts of all those like Derek Giles and the other contractors who unwittingly donated to the cause. They may now get to make a secondary contribution; enforced philanthropy could be the future!

Someone write a book, as otherwise our children’s, children’s children will never believe this actually went on! Thank heavens for The Community right to bid list formed in 2011. Never again will a schiester be able to manipulate clubs with weak infrastructure. ?

The glass half empty brigade are out why is it  about the money?, why don't you talk about the opportunities the stadium and these clubs could offer the youngsters down here not only giving young players the ambition to develop and to play at the higher levels also for local supporters to watch a higher standard  of sport. On the football side as I very occasionally watch the pirates I have been involved in local football for many years my son played in the south west premier league and now I have grandchildren which if they decide to take up football would love them to be given the chance that the likes of home grown players in Cody Cooke have had and that’s all down to Truro City Fc it doesn’t matter whether you like the owners of either of the clubs because this isn’t about them it’s about the development and opportunities for the youngsters. It would be nice to see folks who enjoy sport pulling together on this and speaking about what the stadium requires making it work rather than tongue in cheek comments off the tax payer shouldn’t have to pay towards this primarily because I don’t like the owners. For my immoralities I travelled to Devon to watch Argyle the other week and in the crowd was half a dozen Cornish youth teams watching, wouldn’t it be nice if they had a local stadium to watch their local team play with the opportunity of one day playing in that stadium.

18 minutes ago, chairman said:

If it really was about youngsters the money would be better spent supporting the miriad of Clubs already providing football for hundreds of kids of all abilities.

The likes of Nigel Martyn and Chris Morris made it long before Truro's elevation.

Here Here ??

This is always one of the reasons people put about when arguing for the stadium.

How will building a stadium improve the chances of local youngsters?

Are the Pirates and TCFC suddenly going to open up and run reserve or academy sides that will play in the stadium? If these youngsters are out there they would have been spotted and snapped up by the Pirates and TCFC already. 

Are both the Pirates and TCFC hoping to penny pinch by using players from the Truro and Penwith Sports College that will be based there? They could still head hunt these players by watching the games at both colleges and save us £8M. 

Are they hoping to attract out of county players because if so why should we pay £8M for them? 

But it looks like they will get there money as Council Leaders are pushing for it and are arm twisting already, three months before the vote.

http://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/stadium-cornwall-asked-cornwall-council-1105012

Surely if any sports club wants to improve then they have an action plan and set short term goals. You only have to look at both Wendron and Helston to appreciate how it works. I know very little about Cornish Pirates but in Truro’s case they got rid of a successful youth system and second team so are they really thinking about the youth of Cornwall. Both Wendron and Helston have thriving youth set ups and more than one adult team therefore it leads to both National and Local funding, and more importantly are great community assets. 

Everyone seems to be going on about the local youths being able to play in the new stadium.How about the youths of Torpoint Saltash Callington etc? They probably would not get much chance to play there but their parents would still have to contribute towards it through their council taxes. If Truro want it let Truro pay for it.

Ron Manager the only difference between Cornwall and most other counties is that they have league clubs.Some with clubs in both sports. You know me I’m nothing to do with either club or the stadium and do not want my council tax subsidising either club.i have seen an article from the Pirates stating that the money asked for is to build roads etc. which would have been paid by the companies building the houses.

25 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

Ron Manager the only difference between Cornwall and most other counties is that they have league clubs.Some with clubs in both sports. You know me I’m nothing to do with either club or the stadium and do not want my council tax subsidising either club.i have seen an article from the Pirates stating that the money asked for is to build roads etc. which would have been paid by the companies building the houses.

Martin, when Inox decided to put this big planning application in to develop this farm land within an already congested area they had all the answers AND ALL THE MONEY. now they change the goal post (excuse the pun) every five minutes to suit. i can only see one winner if the council give in to this bribery and that is the developers.

yeah your probably right, that's why i'm currently living abroad!!!

But whilst talking political, i have a disabled sister who lives in Redruth, and those in power at Cornwall HQ wanted to know if she could cycle to her day centre so as they could get rid of her minibus to save a few quid. she cant even cross the road on her own!  And i bet there are a 1000 other stories like this throughout the county, so how can they find a spare 6 million?

Best of luck with helping out your grass roots football team, who have done a fair bit to help out the youth of Redruth, one of the most deprived areas of Cornwall, and who could also benefit from a share of this 6 million quid.

Edited by Ron Manager
spelling

6 minutes ago, Ron Manager said:

yeah your probably right, that's why i'm currently living abroad!!!

But whilst talking political, i have a disabled sister who lives in Redruth, and those in power at Cornwall HQ wanted to know if she could cycle to her day centre so as they could get rid of her minibus to save a few quid. she cant even cross the road on her own! And i bet there are a 1000 other stories like this throughout the county, so how can they find a spare 6 million?

CCC have plenty of money in their reserve fund, except it is the rate payers not theirs.

This is what Inox originally told the council what would be done if there application was successful, bit of a long read, but sounds great. 

Mr Venn began the presentation stating the development at Langarth would be spread over 15 years with an ethos of a sustainable, walkable neighbourhood being created. Everyone living on the development would live within a 10 minute walk of the Park and Ride Scheme with 70 % actually living within a 5 minute walk of it. The aim was to build 1500 homes over 15 years. 500 would be social housing. Up to 1500 new local jobs could be created and new leisure and community facilities would also be built. There would be traffic benefits for the whole community if the scheme went ahead. Community Use – there would be a new primary school, library, community hall, pub/restaurant, one or two hotels, shops, post office, doctors and dentists surgeries, a retirement village and employment space. If permission was granted for Langarth this would, Mr Venn advised, prevent sporadic development. Cornwall Council had to have a 5 year land supply in place. This scheme would provide that and more. In Truro and Threemilestone the current position was there was not enough land being released to fulfil the criteria. It was also advised that Truro and Threemilestone was a very desirable place to live. Transport Benefits – There would be a new access one mile further towards Chiverton to the Park and Ride Site. A link road to the hospital would be created. A new access to the rear of the Park and Ride would also be created and it was expected the Park and Ride would be expanded by 50% - 600 spaces. Two new buses would be purchased by the developers to help with this expansion. Car Clubs would be created to encourage low car ownership. Cars would be available to hire. Most of the junctions between Langarth and Arch Hill would be improved if the scheme went ahead. Benefits for Threemilestone – A high quality development and new facilities. Improvement to the transport and infrastructure. New housing including social housing. Direct benefits would include investment in Threemilestone with possible improvements to sports facilities, improvements to the primary school and the local neighbourhood. Langarth was not intended to be a separate community but to integrate into Threemilestone. Wider Opportunities – Strategic link road to the hospital would be created. Up to 2500 houses on the three sites at Langarth, Willow Green and Maiden Green could be built over 25 years. Langarth would be an exemplar development to be proud of. Up to 800 homes for young families from all three sites.

How times have changed.

After this piece of creative writing was written they then said they would sell a plot of the land to cornwall council for a pound,  so as another developer could buy this land off of the council to build a stadium and making the council some money in the process.

how times have changed.

The end of my rant! (for now)

Apologies, this doesn't have much to do with Truro City and i have nothing against their club, more of a rant against developers and Cornwall council f**king up our county.

Anyone who thinks that the city of Exeter does not benefit from having prem rugby/football league teams is on a different planet. This project can only benefit Truro and anything that benefits Truro will benefit Cornwall as a whole. Maybe Truro city need to engage with the community better but the council could provide the money with certain stipulations. 

31 minutes ago, Rob1978 said:

Anyone who thinks that the city of Exeter does not benefit from having prem rugby/football league teams is on a different planet. This project can only benefit Truro and anything that benefits Truro will benefit Cornwall as a whole. Maybe Truro city need to engage with the community better but the council could provide the money with certain stipulations. 

The only stipulation would be - PAY IT BACK WITH INTEREST

Benefit Truro ....what about the rest of Cornwall (?)

If this white Elephant is going to be built ...it should be in Central Cornwall, not the traffic jam that Truro is.

Bobjfh posted that Truro City have a couple hundred supporters - I am sorry to say HE IS WRONG, as he is about away supporters swelling the figures, truth is due to distance few clubs. swell the crowd by more than a handful. The average attendance of 502 this season is an increase of 24.88% which proves the club is not dead but will be unless the Football Club who's supporters were not responsible for it's 2012 and before demise gets assistance from the council and I don't mean £6 million - Back in 1960/61 Truro Cricket Club got a ground from the council at Boscawen Park - A precedent was set so why not offer the same option to Truro City and forget the S4C project which IMO will not work - Up grade and share with St Dennis keeping Truro City in TRURO. salvaging as much as possible from Treyew Roads current facilities.

There was no public objection when the Cricket Club were given the land that was once the rubbish tip; I played in the first game of cricket at Boscawen Park when converted from a rubbish tip, many games were played by a number of clubs almost all were league games, it destroyed lower grade cricket when it lost it's cricket home to big brother. 

Truro City attendances lowest Chippenham 288 Highest Bath City 676 Average attendance 502  Increase this season from last +24.88%

Truro cricket club I presume was provided to provide a facility for the community as such and to keep a cricket club going. 

Truro city and Cornish Pirates are businesses who only have their own interests at heart - I don’t blame them for that - therefore why should the government and my taxes be subsidising their existence. 

Is a stadium for Cornwall going to provide any benefit for those in Liskeard, buds, launceston, pendeen? Not in the slightest. 

If Truro City get access to this potential new facility then it just goes to show that running a poor business model and ripping the sole out of a community football club can work long term

On 25/01/2018 at 16:18, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

And in the paper today if the stadium is not built there is a chance the pirates and TCFC  would fold.

Well fold then, not a penny of rate payers money should go toward these private enterprises.

Build this, then my club would like a new stand, pitch, car park etc.

How much taxpayers money is being spent on this new super pitch development at Union Corner in Falmouth ? Who is going to play on it ?

I have been watching this construction and no expense has been spared. If the council is so short of funds then this should be at the bottom of the list of priorities!

Big Al. The new facility for the school has been entirely funded by our school with the exception of a grant from theFootball Foundation towards the 3G pitch. The tax payers have contributed absolutely nothing whatsoever towards it so your money is safe. 

As and when Falmouth Town move up and their new pitch is ready to play on it will be the club’s money not the tax payers. 

If you had been following it in the local press you would already know this. 

The new 3G pitch will be for the use of both the school and the community, after all we are a community school. We have already started to get enquiries regarding booking the pitch which we hope to have up and running by September to fall in line with the new school year. 

There will be a fitness suite built for our students to use during the day and the public after 5pm or so with classrooms and fitness rooms for dance classes etc  

Thanks for your concern about spending public funds on our community sports project but once again your comments are so far from reality. 

It seems developments are proceeding surely and quietly for this new sports complex at Falmouth without any Council /tax payer funding. Well done Tommy and co.

The begging bowl for the S4C must appear as a kick in the teeth for all previous improvements at Wendron,Helston,Mousehole and Hayle to name a few who have achieved their success through dedicated time and effort by many volunteer personel

1 hour ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Big Al. The new facility for the school has been entirely funded by our school with the exception of a grant from theFootball Foundation towards the 3G pitch. The tax payers have contributed absolutely nothing whatsoever towards it so your money is safe. 

As and when Falmouth Town move up and their new pitch is ready to play on it will be the club’s money not the tax payers. 

The new 3G pitch will be for the use of both the school and the community, after all we are a community school. We have already started to get enquiries regarding booking the pitch which we hope to have up and running by September to fall in line with the new school year. 

There will be a fitness suite built for our students to use during the day and the public after 5pm or so with classrooms and fitness rooms for dance classes etc  

Thanks for your concern about spending public funds on our community sports project but once again your comments are so far from reality. 

Yes.....well said Tommy, a true community facility at last for this area.

And yes ...Falmouth town will be building the infrastructure for the new "Bickland park" with their own money.

They had better get on with it though ....next season is nearly her (!)

1 hour ago, Tommy Matthews said:

It was not a sarcastic question, obviously you have taken it as such. I know nothing about your school projects and have no interest in them either. The question was, was tax payers money being used and now I have the answer although be it, rudely.

As regards Falmouth Town, I would hope that it is not being funded by public money, but I did not mention this. Obviously their pitch is somewhere else around the area.

2 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

It was not a sarcastic question, obviously you have taken it as such. I know nothing about your school projects and have no interest in them either. The question was, was tax payers money being used and now I have the answer although be it, rudely.

As regards Falmouth Town, I would hope that it is not being funded by public money, but I did not mention this. Obviously their pitch is somewhere else around the area.

You can see it from the road, it's just below the piles of sand / gravel, and usually there's a few seagulls on it - swimming (!)

Nothing rude about my comments Big Al just accurate. You say you have no interest in our project but happy to call into question the funding model and how it should be the bottom of the pile if public money is being used. 

Getting this far has taken more than four years of hard work.   

Ill take your reply as an apology then?