Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL, Lge Cup & Senior Cup - Saturday, Jan 20th 2018

1 hour ago, Bobjfh said:

St Austell 2  v  1 Camelford

Just back from watching this one,  which considering the conditions was a good game of football with both teams playing as well as the conditions allowed. St Austell did edge the game on chances, but only just and probably an extra time or penalties result would have been a better reflection of the game.

First half ended 0-0 and was a very close affair for the first 40 minutes, St Austell having several chances in the last 5 minutes of the half, but Camels holding firm. The major issue in the first half, for me, was the suitability of the pitch - there is no doubt at all that St Austell did a great job to get the pitch ready for the game, however it was obvious that sections of the pitch were very heavy. 2 minutes 30 seconds into the game saw a 50/50 tackle ending up with Matt from Camelfords foot catching in the mud and he is still in hospital as I type. 25 minutes later another 50/50 tackle saw two players slide in for a ball and Tom from Camelford is with Matt still in hospital - yes accidents happen, yes it's a contact sport - but I would suggest that neither injury would have occurred on a more suitable pitch.

Second half started with St Austell in the ascendency, however Camelford kept looking dangerous on the counter - new signing Keegan Lloyd giving the leagues best two centre halfs (Giler and Tom Chambers) a run for their money. Camelford took the lead from a neat piece of work on the left and close range finish from Cam. Shortly afterwards saw Camelford attacking and (what looked like) a clear handball in the St Austell box by Giler, St Austell break with a long ball, followed by a handball given against Camelford and from the play that followed Dingle finished his chance we'll.

St Austell took a clear front foot and had a few chances, if their players stayed on their feet more than throwing themselves to the ground, complaining as they fell, they may have scored at least one maybe two. Following a St Austell corner by Wattsy, Camelford cleared and had a counter attack - a bit of interchange play by both teams and a speculative long ball clearance by St Austell found Wattsy (still making his way back) and using the best left foot in the league, Wattsy scored and finished the game.

Well done to St Austell and good luck in the next round against Falmouth (I doubt the pitch will be ready for the 3rd Feb), and hopefully Eddy will be back, as St Austell are nowhere near as good without him. Will be the tie of the next round and for me, whoever wins has to be favourite for the Senior Cup.

'A speculative long ball clearance by st Austell' you mean a through ball from Chris Reski to Martin Watts?  

Tough game today 100% but yes they played well first half but going against the wind was tough going worst wind this season!! But with players missing in key positions for us I’ll take the win!! And agree with you Cam was Class for us today!! Looking for forward to the next round but need to play a lot better!! Good luck to Millbrook for the rest of the season!! ??

18 minutes ago, Danny O said:

Tough game today 100% but yes they played well first half but going against the wind was tough going worst wind this season!! But with players missing in key positions for us I’ll take the win!! And agree with you Cam was Class for us today!! Looking for forward to the next round but need to play a lot better!! Good luck to Millbrook for the rest of the season!! ??

Danny, our game was Off today so I nipped over to watch, was amazed the game was on, good to see Steve Massey their also & must agree with his comments that Millbrook should of been out of sight at half time, they bossed the Newquay defence. Against better (Premier Division) opposition Newquay would of been murdered, really put to the sword as Millbrook were by far the better side over 90 mins but lacked that bit of quality most Premier Division outfits have. However, Newquay did what mattered & got the result, good luck in next round. Also special mention to the ground staff who did a remarkable job.

Gutted about the result for Millbrook today. Without a game in 7 weeks we were definitely lacking match sharpness; we also had 5/6 unavailable & felt we had a couple of decisions go against us. That being said Newquay took their chances - good luck to them in the next round. We now focus on the league.