Cornwall Football Forum

Torquay United Res to join SWPL

I dare say there will be the usual objections from the "same ole faces" but I would imagine that the addition of TUFC to the playing ranks will be a big positive to the SWPL. All the who-har that Argyle attracted back along, has in fact been mostly beneficial to club gates thru the season. I would be interested to see if the league attendances has increased at all.

Let’s face it, and I mean no disrespect to TUFC, but they are hardly going to be a big threat to the league. I say good luck to them and lets welcome them into the SWPL with open arms.

Will this be another case of the league bending over backwards to suit them like they have with Argyle, with regards to fixtures and use of their ground?  Will this also mean that potentially 1st and 2nd place in the league could be occupied at the end of the season by two reserves sides who cannot take promotion to the next step?  nonetheless, as a spectator it would be great to see (hopefully) another side of quality come in to improve the overall standard of a league that has declined in quality over the last few years.  Exciting times ahead.

3 minutes ago, secretscout said:

Will this be another case of the league bending over backwards to suit them like they have with Argyle, with regards to fixtures and use of their ground?  Will this also mean that potentially 1st and 2nd place in the league could be occupied at the end of the season by two reserves sides who cannot take promotion to the next step?  nonetheless, as a spectator it would be great to see (hopefully) another side of quality come in to improve the overall standard of a league that has declined in quality over the last few years.  Exciting times ahead.

Hopefully the League will learn by its mistakes and the same problems wont be so prevalent. Perhaps PAFC and TUFC could ground share at Coach Road lol

8 minutes ago, secretscout said:

That happens without the pro teams in the league.. regarding 1st and 2nd.. 

1 hour ago, secretscout said:

The league officials will allow entry without hesitancy because of the Devon connection. What a stupid lengthy trip for clubs in mid and west Cornwall to make when they get promoted to the premier, just to play this standard of football.

1 minute ago, BIG AL said:

The league officials will allow entry without hesitancy because of the Devon connection. What a stupid lengthy trip for clubs in mid and west Cornwall to make when they get promoted to the premier, just to play this standard of football.

if they ground share at coach road there will no difference

14 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Even if they play in Torquay, it's fifteen minutes from Newton Abbot. If clubs don't want to travel, then why play this level of football? 

15 hours ago, Fanfare said:

An application from Torquay United will be made this week to join the SWPL. They would start in Division 1 East. On past records they would probably play at Plainmoor (unless Truro get in there first!!)

12 hours ago, Fanfare said:

All three had teams in the SWL at various points.

Reference where they play, it could be only 22 miles from their base like another club, they could pass each other like ships in the night. 

Re the SWL, yes that's right but don't forget there was no promotion or relegation from that league, it was not part of the pyramid structure and there was only pride to play for, not survival.

1 minute ago, Bobjfh said:

This may sound a daft question but when did TUFC have a Reserve Team?? To my knowledge they have no Reserves, no U21 team, no Cat C academy and no youth academy - are they looking to enter a team based on a brand new ‘creation’??

Didn’t they used to have a very successful youth set ? im sure it was up and running only a few years ago…what’s happen3ed to that, as they must have a decent catchment for youth in that area surely

31 minutes ago, Ivory Toast said:

Didn’t they used to have a very successful youth set ? im sure it was up and running only a few years ago…what’s happen3ed to that, as they must have a decent catchment for youth in that area surely

The old regime closed it down for financial reasons. They  couldn't organise taking candy from a baby who was sleeping....

Taken from the SWPL website. Statement from Phil Hiscox. This should save lots of questions about how it might all work.

Torquay applied several weeks ago, and obviously they and we have looked at the various possibilities at the end of the season – I had intended putting these into the statement of who had applied after the January 31st deadline, but the local press (without warning to me) ran the story yesterday.

In short, Torquay United or any other club not in the top divisions of the 6 feeder leagues are not “entitled” to entry in the first wave. The priority is applicant clubs, with the ground standards that finish in the top 3 of the local 6 feeders (allowing for a max of 1 from any 1 feeder). Torquay (and any other non feeder applicant club also need permission from the FA as well, this has also gone in, but again they have not yet reached their deadlines so its not been granted yet, but I see refusal as unlikely as they allowed Plymouth Argyle 3 years ago).

The league can currently have 56 clubs in membership – we have 54 at present – basically at the end of the season we need to see how that 54 number has changed – have teams put in written withdrawals by 31/3 – have teams applied for promotion and finished high enough (Parkway) – Then from the 54 it may become a lower number. Then to re-fill the league we need to know how many applicant clubs are eligible to come up (finished high enough and passed ground grading and not in same feeder lge as other suitable clubs) – If that number pushes us up to 56 or more then Torquay cannot join, but if its 55 or lower we have a vacancy and they can join.

As for the ground – Seale Hayne and Plainmoor have both been mentioned, they need to confirm which one by March 31st, which is the same date that any National League club would have to confirm any groundshare agreement with another club, say a National League South club that needed an A Grade ground for promotion !!!

All these things have to go through various hoops until you get to May and things become clearer, until then I am happy to stress that no club finishing 17th in East or West will be relegated to make room for Torquay United, but obviously they may be relegated to make way for a feeder league applicant club, so for the moment “Carry on playing for Points” !!!

2 hours ago, Atherton LR said:

The old regime closed it down for financial reasons. They  couldn't organise taking candy from a baby who was sleeping....

Very succinctly put - bottom line is they DONT have a Reserve team playing in any league yet expect to enter the league - at least Argyle had an up and running academy system up to u18 and a Reserve team playing league football. 

17 minutes ago, Fanfare said:

With the rumours that Illogan are pulling out that will add a space.

Big Al why are you moaning? Falmouth and Penzance both went to Torquay 1951-55 and 1985-88. Helston did too for a couple seasons in the 50s

Cost of travel was a lot less then. In any case the standard of football these days does not justify long expensive journeys. Some of the participants might also work a few hours on Saturdays not everyone is lucky enough to have an office or teaching job.

1 hour ago, Fanfare said:

With the rumours that Illogan are pulling out that will add a space.

Big Al why are you moaning? Falmouth and Penzance both went to Torquay 1951-55 and 1985-88. Helston did too for a couple seasons in the 50s

I think the problem these days compared to earlier times is that not all the players now want to travel!

18 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Pretty sure Cullompton and Exmouth are further, are they stupid trips? Given they've proven they're of the calibre? Or should we, for once, see it from the Devon side of things and think about them having to travel to the far regions of Cornwall every other week? 

17 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Very succinctly put - bottom line is they DONT have a Reserve team playing in any league yet expect to enter the league - at least Argyle had an up and running academy system up to u18 and a Reserve team playing league football. 

Argyle had an Academy team playing in the  Plymouth and District local league, they did  not have a reserve team, it was created to cater for the rules that allow Football league teams in at Step 6 & 7. Also as I have said on numerous occasions, they are the only club in English League Pro football  club to play at this level.

I don’t think the Cornish contingent need to be concerned as lots of ‘ifs’ at the moment

IF they get accepted they will go into div 1 east which will not affect Cornish teams

IF they get promoted, judging by how poor the first team is I can’t see a newly formed reserve team pulling up trees and winning promotion from East anyway!

at most a Cornish team may draw them in the cup, then it’s 50-50 whether it’s home or away, so no real effect on Cornish clubs in my opinion 

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 20:25, rocky170267 said:

Was that your old team then mate ! 3rd team !

Yes mate, my first SWL club plus the reserves and Wessex Youth League that included the likes of Plymouth Argyle, Exeter City, both Bristol clubs, Swindon Town, Bath City etc etc and it was great to play on all of those grounds so if Torquay do get in the league and play at Plainmoor it will be a great experience for all visiting teams. 

Any of these pro reserve/youths teams looking to allow development of young players or allow 1st team plays to regain fitness should have to start in the very bottom league of Cornish football, just my opinion. Yes obviously they would be smashing teams ridiculous score lines each week but how is it fair that they are allowed to go straight into the SWPL West/East when you have all these other teams from the Dutchy, Trelawny, Combo leagues who constantly struggle financially but their sole ambition is to reach the pinnacle of Cornish football and for them this is there enjoyment away from the hostilities of everyday life. Also this may allow any "big time" pros the chance to appreciate the facilities they're given and the hardwork that goes into running a football establishment. Yes, allowing the top players in the league to test themselves against top pros is great but surely that's what Pre season fixtures are for and also if teams had the ambition and would actually take promotion like Parkway are they would be tested against better players week in week out. Again just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Cornishfan74 said:

Any of these pro reserve/youths teams looking to allow development of young players or allow 1st team plays to regain fitness should have to start in the very bottom league of Cornish football, just my opinion. Yes obviously they would be smashing teams ridiculous score lines each week but how is it fair that they are allowed to go straight into the SWPL West/East when you have all these other teams from the Dutchy, Trelawny, Combo leagues who constantly struggle financially but their sole ambition is to reach the pinnacle of Cornish football and for them this is there enjoyment away from the hostilities of everyday life. Also this may allow any "big time" pros the chance to appreciate the facilities they're given and the hardwork that goes into running a football establishment. Yes, allowing the top players in the league to test themselves against top pros is great but surely that's what Pre season fixtures are for and also if teams had the ambition and would actually take promotion like Parkway are they would be tested against better players week in week out. Again just my opinion.

Cornwall don’t have any pro clubs so why should pro clubs from Devon start in Cornish lower leagues? 

1 hour ago, quiksilver said:

Cornwall don’t have any pro clubs so why should pro clubs from Devon start in Cornish lower leagues? 

Very true, why are the pro teams from Devon coming into the Cornish leagues instead of the Devon equivalent?, would still say the same if Cornwall did have a pro team, they should still have to start any reserve/youth team at the very bottom and make the climb up. There are many benefits to having Argyle in the league (brings more fans to games which results in better finances on match days, allows young Argyle fans to see some top players without having to travel to home park and many more). But in fairness to other lower league teams in the Cornish structure, they're allowed to go straight into a high division without having to be promoted and their goal isn't about winning the league or giving fans a good watch for there money but to develop players into 1st team hopefuls whereas say if a small town in Cornwall wanted to all of a sudden create a new team they would obviously start at the very bottom. I can see both sides as there are many benefits but can understand when clubs feel aggrieved by this.