Cornwall Football Forum

Trevor Mewton - RIP - truly a legend!

Dave Deacon

One of the greatest managers of all-time in Cornish football passed away early this morning.

From the moment he became manager at Foxhole back in the mid 1970s he had the magic touch and he will truly be remembered as one of the best managers ever to grace the local scene.

Every club he managed, saw a change in fortune - from Foxhole, to St Austell, Newquay, Falmouth Town, St Blazey, Porthleven, Penzance, Truro City and Cornwall, Trevor played a part in all their modern day successes and he will rightly be remembered for this.

I can remember interviewing him many a time for BBC Radio Cornwall and he always gave you a straight answer. A rare thing that someone told you exactly how he saw it, but he was always good to me. Always good to the game of football and always good to his players.

The likes of Trev will be sorely missed.

Most of all of course he will be missed by Jill and his family and close friends and may I pass on my condolences on behalf of everyone involved in Cornish football.

Trevor’s funeral is at St Enoder Church, Summercourt on December 29 at 2.00pm.

Immense sadness this morning at our friend's passing.

After the sudden exiting of Dave Wadd at Falmouth Town all the players were wondering who could fill the huge shoes left by the big man. Trevor was the chosen one and luckily he had big feet. I remember him strolling in oozing in confidence as if to say "I've got this!"

From day one he took over the club and all the players loved it. The doubters said that the often brutal training sessions that went before him would drop off. No! I still remember throwing up with exhaustion regularly. They said his attention to detail wouldn't be as thorough. No! He and Jill drove across the country to scout our FA Vase opponents.

Success followed and he was the man who led a band of lifelong friends who are all absolutely shattered by the news this morning.

If any club chairman wanted a manager who could guarantee success then he was on a list of one, and if there was a Christmas almanac of successful Cornish football managers then he'd be on the cover. 

If you never had the honour of playing for him then you sadly missed out on a special privilege. God bless him and his family and close friends. 

RIP Trevor. Friend, Colleague, Coach, Mentor, Manager, Legend. The real "Special One".

Sad news. RIP Trevor, such a great footballing man, we didn't always see eye to eye on football, but that's football, but whenever you talked to Trevor you could always sense his passion for the game. Remember driving to Ludgvan with him,  when I first joined Newquay, we talked football none stop there and back. He will be sorely missed throughout cornish football.

Deepest condolences to Jill and family. 

Very sad to hear this news. Trevor gave me a fantastic compliment when I started my managerial career & he was then manager at Truro  in the combination league. He was not every ones cup of tea but I had nothing but respect for the man.

A huge loss for football & I send my condolences to Jill & their family.

From myself & everyone at Mousehole AFC.

I am very sad to hear this news. I spoke to Trevor often in my time with the Sunday Independent and Evening Herald patrolling the SWL beat and always enjoyed our conversations.

Always got a straight answer from him and most of the time he saw the same game I did!!

Very few managers in Cornish football history had the success he did and he always had the respect of his players - and of other managers as well.

RIP Trevor

Sad to hear this about Trevor 1 of the greatest managers in cornish football history he will sorely be missed  , i use to go in his sports shop Studds and he was always so helpful thats another Newquay legend gone a couple of weeks ago  it was Phil Ryder a legend of Newquay football club now another legend at Newquay is no longer here why all the nice people have to be taken hope a minutes silence will be held at all the matches this weekend to honour a true football legend .R. I .P TREVOR

on behalf of us all at Falmouth town we send our sincere condolences to jill and family after hearing the sad news of the passing of Trevor.he was a good servant to many clubs in the county and will be sadly missed  by clubs players and supporters alike..

RIP Trevor 

So sorry to hear this news! We had some great battles on the pitch while he was at Blazey and me at Porthleven!, two really good sides with Trev just having the edge !

We ended up being good friends! 

no doubt in my mind he was one of the best managers this county as ever produced !

my thoughts are with Jill and the family 

RIP Trev x

What can I say - 

Trevor Mewton, manager of Newquay Football Club for ten years, 1978-1988. A great personal friend of my late husband Brian, and myself. I can only repeat what I wrote in my book, 'A Mixed Bag of Peppermints', in 1990. 

"Trevor has been the most successful manager in the club's history, he is a man with sound principles, who set high standards for himself and his players alike, and who would never accept second best in anything he undertook. At times during his ten years with the club he was greatly maligned and often misunderstood, and so it is left to us who have worked with him for many years to know his true worth, and in the final reckoning few men will have worked harder for the success of Newquay Football Club." 

His record at Newquay speaks for itself:

SWL Finishing Position

• 1978/79 - 3rd 
  • 1979/80 - 1st 
  • 80/81 - 3rd 
  • 81/82 - 1st 
  • 82/83 - 13th 
  • 83/84 - 1st 
  • 84/85 - 3rd 
  • 85/86 - 2nd 
  • 86/87 - 8th 
  • 87/88 - 1st 

SWL Challenge Cup

79/80 - Runners Up 
80//81 - Runners Up 

Senior Cup

87/88 - Runners Up 

Charity Cup 

81/82 - Runners Up
84/85 - Runners Up
85/86 - Runners Up 

My thoughts are with his widow, Jill, and her unfailing devotion to his care during Trevor's lengthy ordeal, not forgetting the support given by Paul and Mena. He will be joining Ray and Phil to reminisce over their time at Newquay Football Club. 

Very sad to hear the news this news today.

I spent many a Saturday afternoon, or a midweek evening up against Trevor over the years with our respective sides, with Trevor being the one of us who maintained his discipline and gentleman demeanour, he was the ultimate ‘benchmark’ with his professionalism and great sides.

No matter the outcome we always spoke in the clubhouse and I had the greatest of respect for him.

We did sign a few of Trevor’s former Devon based players (such as Pughie and Dales) and every one of them spoke so highly of Trevor, it was a real testament to him.

In the later years I enjoyed speaking to Trevor when ordering kits, or meeting him and Jill at St Columb to pick up gear, and what should have been a quick phone call ended up going on for ages as we started to get side tracked and talk about players and other teams.

I can only echo what is being said about one of Cornwall’s best ever Managers, it is a great loss to Cornish football, and most of all, to Jill, to whom I send my heartfelt condolences.

Southy

Words can’t express the sadness and emptiness today.. I consider myself blessed to have been one of Trev's “players”. We all owe him so much, l first met him as the owner of Studs Sports when I was about 14 getting my boots on my mums Visa card and I was almost afraid to speak to him and was shocked when he said he knew who I was and had heard my name being mentioned! The Alex Ferguson of Cornish football what a confidence boost! I later realised that Trev knew every player in Cornish football from about 12 to 35 that was worth knowing, his knowledge of players and his scouting network was second to none!  Years later I was lucky to have played for the boss at 3 different clubs as well as the SWL X1 which he managed for many years. I spent many of the best and funniest moments of my life in Trevs company, not just on the pitch where he won everything in Cornish football about ten times over but off it as well. As Tommy has already mentioned I had the privilege of being the boss first signing when he took the job at Falmouth and he built on an already fantastic team over his time there and I have never experienced a group of such tight knit players, all great mates with a team spirit second to none, a real band of brothers which Trev helped to build and everyone of us would run through a brick wall for him and each other. . He never seemed to sign a bad player! Anyone that came in were welcomed and seemed to fit into the side. We all had the utmost respect for Trev but you could crack the odd joke and get a laugh off him now and again as well, and our end of season tours to Holland were legendary where he would let his hair down but he still expected us to win the games! A great man manager who had the perfect blend of being your friend but you still knew very much so that he was the boss and what was expected of you on and off the pitch. I can not speak highly enough of the gaffer and could probably go on forever about the way you could talk football on the phone for an hour but it seemed like ten minutes and whenever you got a bad injury he would come around your house with Jill the next day with some flowers for your mum or mrs and a box of chocolates to keep your spirits up. A few of us even worked in the shop for Trev and Jill in the summer for a few extra quid. He had the exterior of being a hard man to please on the outside but he had a heart of gold on the inside and would do almost anything to help one of his boys. Even though you could see he was not very well around May time he still managed to do an interview at his house for the French tv company that were doing a documentary following me around for a few days about the 2000th goal. Trev had a side to him that many of his opponents probably never saw but we all did and It’s been an absolute honour boss and no doubt you and Ray have already got the tactics board out up there going over a few set pieces!!! Love to Jill and and family and RIP to the biggest legend who ever sat in a dug out in Cornish football. God bless boss, it was a pleasure and privilege to be your friend,  thanks for everything. ?⚽️❤️

Another sad day for Cornish Football, Trevor was without question one of the best if not the best Manager ever to grace the touchlines in my time as player and manager. Trev would never give an inch and ever time you played against a team managed by trev you knew that they would be full of quality and class just like him.  My greatest regret as a player was not playing under him when i had the chance to go to Newquay, he would surely have improved my game as he did everyone's who played for him. 

I had many a discussion with him in his shop in Newquay, he was football mad and i always had the utmost respect for him both as a manager and as a friend; everybody in Cornish football will miss him so much.

My condolences go out to Jill and his family, RIP Trev.

On behalf of everyone connected with Cornwall FA i would take this opportunity to send our sincere condolences to Jill and family.

Trevor will always be remembered as the Manager of Cornwall FA ( seniors ) who at last won the coveted South West Counties Championship, after many many years of endeavour.

Lots more on this achievement will be recalled by those who took part.

My personal recollection of Trevor in his early days was of Studs Sports and Riviera Coasters going head to head in the Wednesday 5-a-side league at Tretherras School back in the mid seventies.  And also as a D.J. at Tall Trees Night Club,  

RIP Trevor, yes as many will say he was a true legend in the annals of Cornish Football.

Such shocking news to wake upto this morning. I have to echo all of the fantastic sentiments, above. One of the most passionate and successful managers within cornish football, but as gracious in defeat as he was upon victory. Somebody that would always stop and chat. My thoughts are with Jill and the family at this tough time. RIP Trev 

All SWPL clubs are asked to give a minute's silence or applause for Trevor at this weekends games. Not only as a manager but as a representative of Macron, one of the league's sponsors.

Not many people knew Trevor had two spells at Falmouth. He was given the job when they were in the Western League only to get a phone call a few days later to be told that Jimmy Hargreaves was to be appointed instead. How Cornish football could have been affected with that decision! Eight years later he showed no ill-feelings when he was again interviewed and this time appointed to continue the good work he started at Foxhole, St Austell and Newquay.

As I've mentioned at the top of this thread - Trevor’s funeral is at St Enoder Church, Summercourt on December 29 at 2.00pm.

And to echo the wishes of Trevor's wife Jill, that Glynn Hooper mentioned on the radio on Saturday :-"We're going to have a party, with the service at 2.00pm and a wake (probably) back at Fraddon afterwards to celebrate Trevor's life and Jill would like everyone to come along and celebrate with her."

I heard some very sad news today that one of my old football managers Trevor Mewton had passed away on Thursday morning. Trevor was a true gentleman and very professional and it was a pleasure to play for him as a player. I signed for Falmouth Town football Club in the early nineties and played with many great players, Dave Philp, Denty, Tommy Mathews, The white Barry White - Dave Gardner, George Torrance, Dodger Long, Rappo, Thawities And Timmy Allen, what a great team, I think that season we went on to win the league and cup, runners up in the Cornwall senior cup and had a fantastic run in the FA Vase. Rappo and Tommy touched on the camaraderie and friendship which was developed back then and still remains now some twenty seven years ago. I thank Trevor for that, for introducing me to fantastic players and the memories that comes with playing football. I met Trevor a couple of years ago when I was playing for Argyle legends against a Cornwall legends team which Trevor had organised, again he created a superb team, full of top names, great players, it just showed his passion and determination even in veterans matches, he wanted to win.

Myself and My wife Nicola would like send condolences to Jill and Trevor’s family and  if you could compare Managers to the professional level he would be Cornwall’s Alex Furguson.

RIP Trevor Mewton