Cornwall Football Forum

Tavistock v Foxhole

I've not long got home after a wasted 96 mile round journey after the referee bizarrely deemed the conditions unfit for play. Although there was some inevitable mist from the nearby river, and not all the bulbs on the floodlights were working, both teams were happy to at least start the game as everybody except the officials considered the light perfectly acceptable. Unfortunately, the referee (named by the Tavistock secretary Mr Lowe as a Mr Wayne Harrison from Bideford who therefore must have had an even lengthier journey) ludicrously made the decision by 7.10pm; within moments, the mist had lifted. Standing by the clubhouse behind one goal, it was possible to clearly see the far goal and the far corner flags EVEN WHEN the mist returned!

Guest Peppermint

What a waste of a journey for the Foxhole team and followers and another instance of a lack of common sense. If both teams wanted to play why didn't the officials at least let the game start!

I have travelled to Tavistock when there has been a mist but the match has gone ahead and it quite often clears. I have not heard of the referee named for the game but it does seem that he had no thought for the travelling team at all.

This means another trip to Tavistock - probably in midweek and Foxhole will probably lose some of their travelling support because they will not want to risk another wasted journey.

I was there at the game aswell and that pic was without the mist and the bulbs were out and there was a dark patch in the corner.. what u have 2 consider that if u started the game would u finish it with the mist and the bulbs out and the answer would be no because the mist game in every 10mins and that means every 10mins the players would have 2 get called off!!! Also the officials have got 2 take into account that of players health and safety because if the dont they would get the blam 4 it and also people have 2 work in the morning!!! also the referee travelled from bideford the futhest away and the other two officails a hour away each so did they really want 2 call it off??? so i think it was best 4 all!!! also give the officials credit by that they whent in the bar afterwards and explain there decision 2 everyone!!!

Soccer Fan, what was the game called of for was it fog, our lads left after 8:00 pm still no fog, or was it floodlights missing? If so why did we have to make a 100 mile round trip (further than the ref 84 miles) when a phone call to inform the travelling team of the problem could have saved all these problems? Lets hope common sense prevails and the game is rearranged for a Saturday in early January, not Tuesday January 8th which was rumered last night.

well its not up 2 the referee 2 call it off during the day its up 2 the home club 2 phone the away club during the day n also the home club could of got a local referee 2 look at the conditions say at 5.30 and also check the pitch!!! also the referee and the officials get there a hour before to look at the ground to check if it is suitable so it was in the best instrested for the clubs for the health and safety of the players 2 call the game off!!! officials always try 2 play the game whenever possible but on this day it wasnt and i do understand the furtration of the players and the teams and people who travell but what the officails have got to take into account is that was the game safe 2 play??? and on this day it was not??? also look at it this way if u had a player who got a serious injury because of the floodlights and the weather who would be the first person u would complain 2!!! yes the referee!!!

at the end of the day officials never please anyone even know they didnt have them there would be no game at all and players safety is the most important thing to officals and the officials say is the final word!!!

hope that clears it up 4 u???

Referee reported the reasons as "Fog & Mist coming in at regular intervals from arrival at 6.20pm until I made the final decision, after much consultation and thought at 7.10pm. Some lights were out and althopugh this did not help this was not the primary concern as where all lights were working all they did was actually to light up the mist & fog"."

The Secretaries of both Tavistock & Foxhole Stars have been contacted via email and/or fax regarding the re-arrangement details and the reasons for them.

Phil H

PS My autoroute suggests Foxhole to Tavistock is 38 miles each way using the A390

Guest Peppermint

I know travelling from Newquay to Tavistock is a bloody awful road as well - not very amusing when you get to Tavistock and the game is called off for what seems dubious reasons.

Look at it this way Dave - think of Billy Davis team talk before the game when it is played. His team will not need much incentive to beat Tavistock after the farce yesterday.

The AA make the distance from my house to Tavistock 43 miles, MultiMap make it 54 and RAC make it a whopping 64! Taking into account that I picked up a passenger in St Dennis, I did 96 miles last night (I know because I set the trip meter). Believe me, the decision to not even start the game when both teams wanted to play was absolutely ridiculous. Any mist hovered way above the level of the pitch. If you call off all games in conditions like that, you may as well forget playing in winter at all. Why didn't the referee at least wait until kick off time, or 8pm, before making a decision. Why didn't he start the game and then make a judgement? It's all very well saying his decision is final, but what if it's palpably wrong?

I have signed up to this forum mainly because I was so disgusted with the postponement of this match..and the last day or so has given me even more time to realise just what a poor decision it was. I arrived at the ground having driven from Falmouth where I had been working and at 6.30 ther was some mist around but the criteria is supposed to be if the referee can see both sets of goalposts from the halfway line it is playable and that was certainly the case - furthermore from about 7.20 until 8.30 when I left for the long journey back home IT WAS CLEAR ENOUGH TO WATCH THE MATCH FROM THE CLUBHOUSE. The Tavistock people were adamant that they had the required number of lights even though there were one or two missing and indeed I have watced games in far inferior light in this same league this season. The mist coming in off the river is frrquently an issue at Tavistock and any other ground that is beside a river and there is no doubt the referee should have given this game more of a chance to take place particularly in view of the distance travelled by myself and the many other Foxhole supporters and players who made such a big effort to arrange work commitments etc to be there. And as for your remark about the distance Phil Hiscox I must say I am surprised by that coming from yourself as you are simply splitting hairs and was not called for as I like others spend a lot of our time and money following our team.

As someone who has folowed St Blazey to Tavistock for many a mid weeker, I cant ever remember Tavi having every single light working!! The mist has come in every time weve been there. From that picture it looks as good as many grounds you visit when watching under lights. Come on Ref, if players want to play it, get on with it!!!

Guess who are the only ones to suffer from the debacle of Tuesday night, yes it's Foxhole Stars and their travelling army. The game is now fixtured for Tuesday 8th January

Firstly we suffer because Newquay's floodlights aren't working for midweek replay of senior cup, which meant the game with Tavistock originally fixtured for Saturday December 8th was then rearranged for this Tuesday (oficial reason for match being abandoned was fog). Now we have been informed that there are no free Saturdays in January so we have to make the 100 mile round trip in midweek once again. Lets hope the next ref uses some common sense and we can eventualy complete this fixture.

WHAT I SHOULD HAVE SAID IN MY EARLIER POST WAS IT WOULD HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE TO HAVE SEEN THE MATCH FROM THE CLUBHOUSE HAD THE REF GIVEN IT A CHANCE. JUST TYPICAL THAT WE HAVE GOT TO MAKE THIS JOURNEY AGAIN DURING THE WEEK.....IS IT REALLY GOING TO BE ANY BETTER IN JANUARY - I DOUBT IT - NO CONSIDERATION AT ALL GIVEN AND ANOTHER POINT HERE IS IT NOT ABOUT TIME THE FA SCRAPPED REPLAYS IN THE SENIOR CUP SO WE DO NOT HAVE A SITUATION WHERE IT HAS TAKEN THREE WEEKS TO COMPLETE A TIE HAS AS BEEN THE CASE RECENTLY BETWEEN FOXHOLE AND NEWQUAY.... LETS MOVE FORWARD WE ARE LIVING IN THE STONE AGE......COMPLETE THE GAMES ON ONE DATE WITH PENALTIES IF NECESSARY - WE ARE WORKING GUYS AND HAVE OTHER COMITTMENTS TO FULFILL......