Cornwall Football Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Deacon

Phil Ryder RIP

Really gutted to hear this news Dave. When I first went to Newquay at 16 Phil and Graham Nicholls were the front two for the 1st team and the county, different players and blokes but both brilliant at what they did. Lovely for a young novice like me to learn off those two masters. Phil was as strong as an ox and he would actually bully the centre half!! He would back into defenders and was almost impossible to get the ball off but was a great finisher with it and hell of a strike on him. Always great to see him at football over the years for a reminisce. Saw him at Godolphin end of last season in good spirits as usual but comparing our knackered knees!! Im sure the older gents will have some great stories about  Phil, great character!! RIP to a proper Cornish football legend. ⚽👌

56 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Really gutted to hear this news Dave. When I first went to Newquay at 16 Phil and Graham Nicholls were the front two for the 1st team and the county, different players and blokes but both brilliant at what they did. Lovely for a young novice like me to learn off those two masters. Phil was as strong as an ox and he would actually bully the centre half!! He would back into defenders and was almost impossible to get the ball off but was a great finisher with it and hell of a strike on him. Always great to see him at football over the years for a reminisce. Saw him at Godolphin end of last season in good spirits as usual but comparing our knackered knees!! Im sure the older gents will have some great stories about  Phil, great character!! RIP to a proper Cornish football legend. ⚽👌

56 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Would like to re iterate the sentiments of Rappo.  I came up against Phil on many occasions and always knew I had been in a game when playing against him. RIP Phil and condolences to his family 

Two really good teams there Dave!! Remember watching those sides as a kid and lucky for me went on to play with most of them a few years later. Some really talented players in those sides managed by the great Trevor Mewton. None more so than Phil who was pretty scary in those days to play with and against!! A big strong striker!! As Denty said every opponent knew he had been in a game when they played against him. great photo's :c:

I am shocked to the core. Not only did I have numerous battles with Phil over the years but did lots of business with him in his capacity as head chef at Newquay’s Kilbirnie Hotel. 

You knew you were in for an almighty battle with Phil. Sometimes you won but mostly you lost. The one thing you knew was there was nothing sly about him and a handshake and a beer after the game was a given. 

Fantastic goal scorer, brave as a lion and great to be around. Massive shock. 

RIP Phil, condolences to your family and friends. People use the word “legend” all too frequently these days. Not this time. Legend. 

Sad day for football Phil was a true legend at Newquay football  club and my mother in laws all time favourite player I was lucky enough to watch phil play and know him as a friend loved watching Godolphin when he wasn’t working and giving banter to the opposition I can remember   when someone posted on forum need to sort the village idiot which we both laughed at when I showed him total legend friend who will be missed not just with me but anyone involved in football❤️⚽️💙

Myself and all the boys at Wadebridge are sad to see another of our great friends from Newquay pass away, we had some fantastic games against that Newquay team and Phil was always a threat, strong and lethal in front of goal and such good fun afterwards. 

We would just like to say how sad & sorry we are and send our condolences to Phil's family & friends.

Phil’s funeral is this Friday at 1.00PM at Penmount Crematorium and then back to the Godolphin Arms, Newquay.

I understand everyone is welcome, especially back at the Godolphin -  the family want to hear football stories about Phil.