Cornwall Football Forum

Saltash

What has happened to Saltash.  Last season they were one of the top sides and now look like a mid table team.  What’s gone on for such a drastic decline??. Alarm bells must be ringing as not only did they lose but were Destroyed tonight by Tavistock. Not sure if anything is going on behind the scenes but something isn’t right. 

12 hours ago, Hetty said:

What has happened to Saltash.  Last season they were one of the top sides and now look like a mid table team.  What’s gone on for such a drastic decline??. Alarm bells must be ringing as not only did they lose but were Destroyed tonight by Tavistock. Not sure if anything is going on behind the scenes but something isn’t right. 

Look no further than the clown on the sideline...theres your problem. Saltash were dreadful last night. No spirit and no leadership. Things need to change :excl:

Two teams in the top five, but didn't look like it last night. Tavistock look good, but saltash were poor, very poor. Agree with hetty, not the team of last year. What I have noticed, by the match reports on here, there isn't a settled side, why?

For the neutral, I thought it was a great game, but if I was a home supporter, I would be worried.

Watched the game as a neutral. Saltash were very poor defensively and their lack of pace and coordination was continually ruthlessly exploited. In addition to their keeper saving one poorly placed pen, he kept the score down by his “sweeping” many one on ones after the defence had been breached. Not sure why their captain Danny Lewis was subbed at half time. Injured?? Tavi cruised through 2nd half imo. 

Wednesday 8th November 2017

Saltash United v Tavistock(home)SWPL(Premier Division)

Saltash United line-up:Ryan Rickard,Dave Barker,Callum Martindale,Callum O'Brien,Sam Leary,Danny Lewis(c),

Paul Heveran,Tom King,Sam Hughes,Ryan Richards,

Richard Maddison.

Subs used:Henry Wilson for Danny Lewis(45 mins),

Lee Phillips for Richard Maddison(67 mins),

Scott Coombe for Sam Hughes(84 mins).

Unused subs:Steve Sargison.

Bookings:O'Brien,King,Wilson.

Result:Saltash United 1  Tavistock 5  

Scorers:Heveran.

Referee:Alan Bassett(Plymouth).

Attendance:225

The Ashes went into the game without Menhenick,Farrant,

Young & Trott but this was not an excuse for a woeful

first 45 minutes.

Within 60 seconds of the start the Ashes were 1-0 down when from a corner the ball was headed home by an unmarked player at the near post.The Ashes were given a life-line on 18 minutes when Sam Hughes was fouled just outside the Tavistock area and Paul Heveran stepped up and scored.With just over 15 minutes of the half remaining Tavistock were awarded a penalty which was well saved by Ryan Rickard but with time added on in the first half Tavistock struck twice.First a shot from the right of the area from a ball that should have been cleared and then from a second penalty.Half-time Ashes 1 Tavistock 4.

In the second half the Ashes looked more lively and had a fare share of the game but the damage had already been done in the first half.Twice in the second period Tavistock cleared off the line but towards the end of the half they

moved up a gear and just seemed to be able to stroll through the very poor Saltash defence and with just 2 minutes remaining they did just that and scored a 5th goal.

This was the worse home defeat in the South West Peninsula League since April 29 (2015)when Saltash United lost 6-1 against Plymouth Parkway.

5 hours ago, quiksilver said:

Upsetting your best centre half who was one of your most loyal players at the club by taking the captaincy off him didn't help, he then left to join Bodmin!

Why take the captaincy from Lewis Russell? Unbelievable! A totally loyal, honest and talented player who gives his all every game. Then hand it to Danny Lewis who is a perennial crosser of the Tamar bridge! Chalk and cheese springs to mind. Ah well Saltash's loss is Bodmin's gain I suppose.

12 minutes ago, mikesrep said:

Why take the captaincy from Lewis Russell? Unbelievable! A totally loyal, honest and talented player who gives his all every game. Then hand it to Danny Lewis who is a perennial crosser of the Tamar bridge! Chalk and cheese springs to mind. Ah well Saltash's loss is Bodmin's gain I suppose.

There must have been reasons behind it, whatever they were it is certainly backfiring. However im not sure all the present problems could be caused by just one player leaving the club.

On the whole its the same group of players that almost won the league last season so something clearly isnt right. Have the management lost the dressing room? they were always such a close knit group! 

5 hours ago, Martin McHugh said:

Is it that bad Ivory, they have only lost to teams of high quality in the league and Tavi are the only remaining unbeaten team at the moment??

MQx

MQ...Just look at the rest of the posts. I would thinks the business of taking the captancy off a players is enough to turn any changing room. Especially from a smashing guy in Lew Russell.

Danny Lewis is a great lad too and I think mikesrep is a bit harsh calling him a perennial crosser of the Tamar bridge, it was great to see him come back especially ( and I stand corrected if Im wrong) after winning most of the end of season awards at parkway last year, including players player and managers player.....but maybe he knows something else that we dont.

Last nights performance was way below par, and yes I accept there were players missing and that they have only lost to opponents higher than themselves, but if displays like this continue there will be alot more teams above them than are below come the end of season

Ah one match does not make a season and was only a few days after a 4-2 win away, the early goal came inside 1 minute that must have been a shock, got it back to 1-1 and Saltash started playing the ball around nicely with confidence around pitch. A 4-1 lead by half time set up the second half for a must score early to maybe set up an Ac Milan/ Liverpool but never happened, had a chance or two second half. Well done to Tavi on the win.

Definitely a top 5 finish is possible, Parkway are a stronger team this year, Argyle are stronger this year, Tavi are doing well again too, I don't think a top 5 finish would be anything to be ashamed off for the Ashes with the competition and actually what I would have taken last year. Can it be natural for a team to be less challenging season after especially with strong competition.

As for the captain, Danny is a leader been at Saltash a few times over the years so back him as captain (this isn't saying Lewis shouldn't be - a loyal player whilst with us as mentioned above).

Following from afar mostly rather than at games, looking at results so far and the way we started to play with confidence yesterday in that moments spell, I don't think Dane and Matt have lost the dressing room, these two have been good managers since coming into the club, long may that continue.

Up the Ashes!

Matt and Dane have certainly not the dressing room and as far as I am concerned the committee or supporters.

All teams evolve and looking at the new signings, added to what was already a good squad, it was happy days.

We don't need a post mortem, as the season isn't even half way through. So no panic stations.  What we have suffered is injuries and player availability, the second being the most frustrating.

The Tavi game has been and gone, we move on. As has been stated previously, our defence is a major concern and needs addressing.

Make no mistake, Tavvy are a good side, they made us look very ordinary. But we contributed to our downfall with needlessly conceded goals from defensive mistakes.  I cant blame the loss of Lewis Russel for the performances this year, as we still have 90% of the side that did so well last year, on paper the signings we made should have made us a better team. 

Did giving the captaincy to Danny Lewis make up Lewis Russel's mind to leave, or were there other factors?  Does Danny Lewis bring enough to the team, to warrant the loss of one of our best and most loyal players.....lots of questions to answer

Interesting to see a couple of players from last seasons successful side, who left start of the season, have returned in Maddison and Edwards. 

Even without the addition of those two quality players, the Saltash side are still very strong and yes they haven't quite hit the heights of last season (yet), but there's a lot of football left to play. 

Parkway or Tavi are going to win the league, but i think saltash should be pretty pleased if they achieve a third placed finish and aim for the league next season when one of the said two have been promoted (let's hope anyway).  

On 17/11/2017 at 14:43, Henning Berg said:

Interesting to see a couple of players from last seasons successful side, who left start of the season, have returned in Maddison and Edwards. 

Even without the addition of those two quality players, the Saltash side are still very strong and yes they haven't quite hit the heights of last season (yet), but there's a lot of football left to play. 

Parkway or Tavi are going to win the league, but i think saltash should be pretty pleased if they achieve a third placed finish and aim for the league next season when one of the said two have been promoted (let's hope anyway).  

They have also today announced the return of Toby Clark