Cornwall Football Forum

10 minutes ago, St Darren said:

The overall standard of the combo league isn’t as good. There are some good teams in it but it doesn’t go down far in the league

i played because I had a left foot

You do yourself down Darren ,   but that is why they are in that position still good players in the lower placed clubs  ,  but credit to those who have a go been to many over the years playing below their level and becoming big fish in a small pond .

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, footballlegend7 said:

I’m pretty sure we haven’t folded at newlyn  lions , and dolphins didn’t fold they changed name  to lions 

I’m pretty sure we haven’t folded at newlyn  lions , and dolphins didn’t fold they changed name  to lions 

Hmm, that’s an awful lot of space to take up with double (very, very long) quotes followed by duplicate comments! 

Changing your name all the time does tend to cause confusion, just ask M.K. Dons, no longer Wombles it seems!

I wonder what happened to footballlegends 1-6?

I believe that people in lower leagues don’t travel. It’s not due too not wanting too but it’s due too youngsters having evening jobs where they work to afford there cars and other things. 

Youngsters just aren’t coming through like they used to either. Maybe a review of playing ages might help lowering it a bit too get youngsters involved and wanting to play. 

The cost is also an issue most clubs are small and run on a very low budget and covering club costs and even pitch rental doesn’t help giving these lads the chance to play for nothing. Or very little.

Being a manager is a full time job in its own right maybe some don’t have contacts like the old days or that players just can’t be bothered to get someone in to help the club if they might lose there place. 

Battling for a place in a squad or starting line up seems to be something that doesn’t happen much these days and that they just walk away and if they leave pals might follow. 

It’s a shame too see but would the same problem occur if leagues are regionalised with either lack of competition that you play against or offers from bigger clubs in higher leagues. 

Are fines the issue with people not wanting to pay these if money is an issue. Do people get fed up of officals? Do people just go to clubs for glory and sit on a bench just too say they play there? Are people not as competitive as they used to be? 

Is the season actually too long to commit too? Would young players rather play rugby with a chance of making a career in a sport that’s scouted in cornwall?

Just a few points I’ve thought of after chacewater and now made are gone and hearing a few more are on the way. 

Could clubs be restricted on how many teams they can have too get players at other clubs.

I know some people may have said it but, BRING BACK THE FALMOUTH HELSTON - MINING LEAGUE don’t remember any of this trouble when it was the old days !!! 

Miss the Old Mining league / Fal Helston League. 

I remember being a 14 year old and couldn’t think of anything more appealing than playing football on Saturday, and can’t see how, the youngsters of this generation aren’t interested in playing men’s football! Unless it’s because  they’ve jumped straight into senior/swpl football? 

I do think there needs, to be a stronger format on, leaving a club, then starting up again, I know it’s the clubs that Vote each other back in! 

Horrible to see, Two clubs who have Been well run, especially Chacewater fold within a week! 

One of the things I hate about these new leagues is that you don’t know anyone anymore.Years ago you would know pretty much everyone on the other team by their first name now it’s 90 mins of football and Home.The distances between games now at junior has affected the social side of it I have no doubt

10 hours ago, jolzy10 said:

I'm sure the lads at Trispen would appreciate that, knowing most of them I can't imagine they'd want to finish so early!!! 

Hi dave.ive spoken to elliot,both st erme and mariners have no game on the 25th november so we could play each other at there home pitch but trispen are home and as we know theyve played quite a few already,would it be possible the league could sort something out and allow st erme to have the pitch?   Thanks   fudge

8 minutes ago, digger1000 said:

One of the things I hate about these new leagues is that you don’t know anyone anymore.Years ago you would know pretty much everyone on the other team by their first name now it’s 90 mins of football and Home.The distances between games now at junior has affected the social side of it I have no doubt

Digger perhaps it's down to players moving around more ,   drink driving has made a difference as well in a good way , people won't take a chance , alcohol from pubs ,clubs is now expensive  go to the super market and see how many cans you can buy for a tenner  , this adds to the social side or lack of it .   Attitude towards the game has changed ,  from players , supporters to sponsorship  , less money in our pockets to spend ,we all have to budget . Don't think the new league is a problem  just football in general , 

12 minutes ago, fudge said:

Hi dave.ive spoken to elliot,both st erme and mariners have no game on the 25th november so we could play each other at there home pitch but trispen are home and as we know theyve played quite a few already,would it be possible the league could sort something out and allow st erme to have the pitch?   Thanks   fudge

I’ll send this over to Dave James for you Fudge. 

14 hours ago, Mrgreen said:

Some, but maybe not all have themselves to blame..

Managers often choose to play, transient, here today, gone tomorrow "superstar" players ahead of more loyal(maybe a little older) not as good players. I understand the desire to win. But who's winning now???

This is difficult to manage and maintain, speaking from experience and from what I have seen - see Mabe as a prime example. Is it a conincence they folded after they started losing matches?

No.

Players don't want to lose every week or they'll lose interest. I have a very young team, anyone who has played us will tell you that. But the focus has got to be on winning in order to keep everyone interested. Plus, ultimately, that's the aim isn't it?

I'll have to take your word for it. I misunderstood. I was under the impression, Mabe folded because most if not all players were transient and up and left. 

Maybe, and it is just maybe. If they had stuck with the more loyal, but not as good boys they would have lost a few games, but would still be going and be having a social after.

winning was VERY VERY important to me... But not as important as playing.

I remember when I first played for Holmans back in the early 1980s we were regularly being beaten by double figures but we stuck with it and improved and ended up making the area final of the junior cup and winning promotion to the combo. That to me gave me far more satifaction than moving to a club that was winning every week and yes I did have offers to move to better clubs. But then that's loyalty and there are very few loyal players around today

41 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

I remember when I first played for Holmans back in the early 1980s we were regularly being beaten by double figures but we stuck with it and improved and ended up making the area final of the junior cup and winning promotion to the combo. That to me gave me far more satifaction than moving to a club that was winning every week and yes I did have offers to move to better clubs. But then that's loyalty and there are very few loyal players around today

Lots of loyalty about, that loyalty just isn't related to clubs. It is to managers or other players/friends etc

There lies the problem for clubs Tempo. And that is why Mabe have folded because it was set up by a group of mates who then just left a few loyal people to struggle on because they needed to win.People need to realise that only one team can win a league but without the other teams there will be no league.

On 07/11/2017 at 12:46, cornishteddyboy said:

Tell the CFA to ban mid-week 6-a-side leagues!

Sadly you are right. But this is what the fa thought was a good idea 13 years ago and are only beginning to realize it is killing 11 a side. There is more money to made in 6 aside and 5 aside run leagues for the fa. They get to keep thier pockets fat

4 minutes ago, Leehh said:

Sadly you are right. But this is what the fa thought was a good idea 13 years ago and are only beginning to realize it is killing 11 a side. There is more money to made in 6 aside and 5 aside run leagues for the fa. They get to keep thier pockets fat

Are there any Cornwall FA run 5 or 6 a side leagues in the County?

On 07/11/2017 at 13:02, Portreathlegend said:

I think there are a few issues....... with suggestions

No loyalty....... hard to change its just the next generation of spoilt players coming through

Too expensive to participate for youngsters and unemployed ( I know some clubs subsidise for unemployed or younger players, but smaller clubs cant afford to do that)..... the league works with the Cornwall FA to make funding available to clubs if they have 16-18 year olds or unemployed players??

As soon as the season ends, the whole team can just bugger off to another club, no questions asked.- massive headache preseason for every manager and the league to have to get everyone signed on again, why not say once your signed for a club that's it, over preseason still enforce the transfer procedure, this gives manager and clubs more stability as no mass exodus, cuts down workload for the league and clubs........ as an example ( Chacewater players walking out preseason and joing St.Agnes and Mabe players preseason all walking out and going to Falmouth Town)----- Email going to the league to make suggested rule change.

Sorry but no. No protection for players. And still alot of paper work for transfers as won't stop players leaving and you are actually costing teams money because of transfer fees. So hurting the team more than the fa. They don't need more money.

5 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

I don’t think the leagues are run by the CCFA, aren’t those ones Soccer Sixes, etc.

I tend to agree with you . Soccersixes is affiliated with the English Football Association, probably nothing much to do with the Cornwall FA.

Be interesting to hear from anyone reading this who plays in these Soccersixes leagues. What are they all about?

I used to enjoy playing in five a side leagues at both Polkyth and Carn Brea - leagues made up of some of the best players around, but it didn’t make any of us say that we couldn’t be bothered with Saturday football!

What I don't get about Mabe is that they had a team of capable of challenging for the Trelawny League title. But the manager instead of trying to earn promotion by merit the manager upsticks to take over another clubs Res side in the Combo and play second fiddle. He will never see his teams name of the Trelawny League Shield. Shame.

1 hour ago, Mr Justice said:

What I don't get about Mabe is that they had a team of capable of challenging for the Trelawny League title. But the manager instead of trying to earn promotion by merit the manager upsticks to take over another clubs Res side in the Combo and play second fiddle. He will never see his teams name of the Trelawny League Shield. Shame.

If they keep going the way they are he may see his players lifting the combination league title! 

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I tend to agree with you . Soccersixes is affiliated with the English Football Association, probably nothing much to do with the Cornwall FA.

Be interesting to hear from anyone reading this who plays in these Soccersixes leagues. What are they all about?

I used to enjoy playing in five a side leagues at both Polkyth and Carn Brea - leagues made up of some of the best players around, but it didn’t make any of us say that we couldn’t be bothered with Saturday football!

Ccfa is a sister to cornwall fa same as devon fa. Same as derbyshire fa and so on. Efa is the parent so ccfa will look after the 5 aside and 6 aside leagues here by order of efa

43 minutes ago, Leehh said:

Ccfa is a sister to cornwall fa same as devon fa. Same as derbyshire fa and so on. Efa is the parent so ccfa will look after the 5 aside and 6 aside leagues here by order of efa

When you say “look after” what does that mean? It’s been suggested that these soccer sixes leagues are of financial benefit to the Cornwall FA - by how much?

18 hours ago, Leehh said:

Sorry but no. No protection for players. And still alot of paper work for transfers as won't stop players leaving and you are actually costing teams money because of transfer fees. So hurting the team more than the fa. They don't need more money.

Sorry are you a little slow or unable to read.........

What I have put forward to the league doesn't bring in more revenue for the league it just stops all players walking out at the end of season.......

15 hours ago, Leehh said:

I've now had clarification on the Small Sided Football subject and there are actually 3 types of small sided provider:-

National Providers – Affiliated to The FA (Goals, Soccers Sixes, Power League etc)

The National Providers pay The FA directly for affiliation and for that they are allowed to use registered referees, and receive support with the disciplinary process. It also means that if a player misbehaves in these centres in a serious way they can be banned from all football.

Local Providers – Affiliated to Cornwall FA (Premier Sixes, St Austell 6-a-side and Truro 6-a-side (Glyn Gapper) Soccernights

Local Providers – Similar to the national providers except they affiliate locally direct to Cornwall FA and the Cornwall FA insure them and allow them to use the affiliated referees and support them with discipline should they require it.

Non Affiliated Providers –

Non-Affiliated – They don’t pay any money to The FA or Cornwall FA, therefore registered referees do not officiate in them and should serious discipline occur it will not transfer over to the other formats of the game.

The Small-sided Leagues pay to affiliate (as do all leagues) and that is it, Cornwall FA do not take any other money from them and have nothing to do with the running of the leagues. They also don’t make a profit from them, some County FA’s with their own facilities do run small sided leagues in house, Cornwall FA do not.

I also understand, contrary to opinions, that The FA actually make hardly any money from small sided football, they are all independent businesses, they affiliate and there are some partnership programmes, such as Goals and The FA Peoples Cup (which is a great initiative) but ultimately apart from that not a lot more unless as stated above a County FA have a pitch and run one in-house.

Well rude. But keeping hold of players means transfer fees which means ur hurting the club or player financially dependent on who pays the fee and as for paper work. Transfers are paper work. The players are going to just not play. And the club still gonna fold. 

But great sugesstion dummy

On 08/11/2017 at 23:16, Tempo said:

Lots of loyalty about, that loyalty just isn't related to clubs. It is to managers or other players/friends etc

Tempo I think your club seems to be the exception , must be the hard work you and your club put in , are most of your squad local ? 

9 hours ago, stevieb said:

Tempo I think your club seems to be the exception , must be the hard work you and your club put in , are most of your squad local ? 

Surprisingly, no. Most of the reserve players are from the Falmouth area. The club works incredibly hard. 

I guess the fact we have had a similar squad for three years now stems from the loyalty from me and Nick.

Nick's been at the club for 26 years or longer, I can't quite remember now. Whereas I am in my 7th season with the club now, third as manager, and I'm only 22, almost 23. I would assume though that if there were a manager change in either side that the likelihood is there would be a change in personnel on the pitch, depending who came in to manage.

i think that's just how football is now. It's not even just that players are loyal to managers, it's that when a new manager comes they're like to bring in a lot of their own players. Leaving a lot of the old ones out.

Certainly, when I took over, some of the old guard didn't like the change in the side and left, so that's certainly a factor too.

6 hours ago, Tempo said:

Surprisingly, no. Most of the reserve players are from the Falmouth area. The club works incredibly hard. 

I guess the fact we have had a similar squad for three years now stems from the loyalty from me and Nick.

Nick's been at the club for 26 years or longer, I can't quite remember now. Whereas I am in my 7th season with the club now, third as manager, and I'm only 22, almost 23. I would assume though that if there were a manager change in either side that the likelihood is there would be a change in personnel on the pitch, depending who came in to manage.

i think that's just how football is now. It's not even just that players are loyal to managers, it's that when a new manager comes they're like to bring in a lot of their own players. Leaving a lot of the old ones out.

Certainly, when I took over, some of the old guard didn't like the change in the side and left, so that's certainly a factor too.

Tempo Falmouth is a big catchment area and you are not that far away , it wasn't meant as a dig , agree players play for managers and some do move around but you seem settled and your club has been around for years  credit to all at your club .

On 10/11/2017 at 11:08, skinner said:

THE LEAGUE SHOULD HAVE LEFT MABE PLAY IN THE LEAGUE THAT THERE 2ND TEAM WAS  .BUT MADE THEM TAKE  1ST TEAMS PLACE

This is  a very good point which has probably contributed to Mabe folding, when all the first team left for Fal Town the reserves ended up in a league way above their standard, did they get disillusioned and lose interest getting beaten heavily every week.? 

Perhaps the league should discuss giving clubs  the option of which league to play in when the "first team" quit. Better to retain them in a lower league than lose two teams maybe?

Nothing wrong with having more than 3 teams as long as you can facilitate them. As the previous poster said, a lot of players that play youth at the club come in and play for the 4th/3rd teams, and players on their way down play for them. This doesn't take players away from other sides. 

The Illogan issue to me sounded like they wouldn't make the step to the seconds, not necessarily an issue with stepping up a level. Hope they sort themselves out - great club. 

I don't think there is a sole reason for a decline in players, there are many contributing factors and pointing the finger at travel is wrong, the decline is a national issue - not just Cornish.  Personally, I think it's just how the world is now. People have other commitments with Saturday work, families and changing technology. People can access games world wide on a Saturday afternoon with out leaving the toilet. It's a decline in spectators as well as players. I remember the smallest of villages getting big crowds out on Saturday afternoons. Now you're  lucky if a man and his dog walk past. Grassroots football is an issue nationally at all levels and at all positions of a club. Chairman, managers, players, spectators, groundsmen, kit washers...

3 hours ago, WendronOfficial said:

Nothing wrong with having more than 3 teams as long as you can facilitate them. As the previous poster said, a lot of players that play youth at the club come in and play for the 4th/3rd teams, and players on their way down play for them. This doesn't take players away from other sides. 

The Illogan issue to me sounded like they wouldn't make the step to the seconds, not necessarily an issue with stepping up a level. Hope they sort themselves out - great club. 

I don't think there is a sole reason for a decline in players, there are many contributing factors and pointing the finger at travel is wrong, the decline is a national issue - not just Cornish.  Personally, I think it's just how the world is now. People have other commitments with Saturday work, families and changing technology. People can access games world wide on a Saturday afternoon with out leaving the toilet. It's a decline in spectators as well as players. I remember the smallest of villages getting big crowds out on Saturday afternoons. Now you're  lucky if a man and his dog walk past. Grassroots football is an issue nationally at all levels and at all positions of a club. Chairman, managers, players, spectators, groundsmen, kit washers...

Well said :thumbsup:

On 11/11/2017 at 18:52, zebedee said:

Sadly FA rules don't allow that .

If I remember correctly, the league allowed this when Penryn Athletic 4ths folded in preseason 2011-12. The new 3rd team moved down to trelawny 3, I believe that they had to make their case to the league.

This without doubt have been a better scenario for Mabe whilst they were effectively rebuilding their club.

7 hours ago, CRD said:

If I remember correctly, the league allowed this when Penryn Athletic 4ths folded in preseason 2011-12. The new 3rd team moved down to trelawny 3, I believe that they had to make their case to the league.

This without doubt have been a better scenario for Mabe whilst they were effectively rebuilding their club.

The decision of the League at the time was that Penryn 4th's in Division 3 was the side that should be withdrawn and not the higher placed 3rd team.  Penryn played this very cleverly (no I'm not going to go into details) appealed to the CCFA, won their case and the 4ths became the 3rds in Division 3.  These circumstances weren't covered in League Rules at the time hower the wording in the current Rule 14d was introduced for 2012-13.