Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigd1

Another club folding!?

Recommended Posts

Surely very concerning when a club like Chacewater have to fold! 

The following is taken from the Trelawny League Facebook group page:-

“We are extremely disappointed to hear the news tonight that Chacewater Football Club have withdrawn from the Trelawny League with immediate effect.

Due to the club’s withdrawal, all previous results are expunged.

St Buryan will receive a BYE into the Semi Final of the Dunn Cup. 

The Premier Division will now be made up of 13 teams. 

As a result of this withdrawal and in line with Trelawny League Rule 12b(ii), only one team will be relegated from the Premier Division at the end of the season”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Surely very concerning when a club like Chacewater have to fold! 

These were my exact thoughts also.

The really disappointing thing is that Chacewater, a club that has been around for such a long time and has so much history about it has felt that there is no other option but to fold... a club like Chacewater just shouldn’t have to do that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This time last season they had two teams.

45 players appeared for the Premier Division throughout the season, of which 15 made 10 or more appearances.

Only 14 of those 45 also played at least once for the seconds.

The seconds listed 39 players of which 14 played in excess of 10 times.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ALL THESE PLAYERS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very sad day indeed when a long established club with such a rich history as Chacewater folds.  It certainly makes you wonder if any club is only a season or less away from a similar fate particularly when Chacewater appeared to be so strong behind the scenes with the likes of Nigel leading from the front.

A sad indication of the continuing decline in the game.

8 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

This time last season they had two teams.

45 players appeared for the Premier Division throughout the season, of which 15 made 10 or more appearances.

Only 14 of those 45 also played at least once for the seconds.

The seconds listed 39 players of which 14 played in excess of 10 times.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ALL THESE PLAYERS?

Not necessarily the case with Chacewater Dave but one quote I had last season was 'Yes we've got plenty registered but you try getting them out of bed to play on a Saturday'.  Those dedicated volunteers running clubs around the county have my greatest respect as it's getting harder and harder for them as each year passes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Steve Carpenter said:

Not necessarily the case with Chacewater Dave but one quote I had last season was 'Yes we've got plenty registered but you try getting them out of bed to play on a Saturday'.  Those dedicated volunteers running clubs around the county have my greatest respect as it's getting harder and harder for them as each year passes.

Which is why I detailed for the 1st team 15 made 10 or more appearances and the seconds 14 played in excess of 10 times.

They had a loyal band of players - it's a shame we can't get some players on to tell us why this has happened?

The players need to be honest and say if they can't be bothered - the people in authority need to know this, and why, so to try and avoid more clubs packing up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Which is why I detailed for the 1st team 15 made 10 or more appearances and the seconds 14 played in excess of 10 times.

They had a loyal band of players - it's a shame we can't get some players on to tell us why this has happened?

The players need to be honest and say if they can't be bothered - the people in authority need to know this, and why, so to try and avoid more clubs packing up!

Well said Dave. Agree totally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ummmm, stop allowing new teams to join the Trelawny League for a few seasons (3 or 4 say). It will not necessarily stop other clubs folding, but it certainly will not make the situation worse. What did we have this year, 8 new teams voted into Division 4 (with 1 not being allowed), and so far, 3 teams folding....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We at Redruth are like most teams in "transition and I expect Chacewater when you are struggling on the pitch players decide to go else where because they are not prepared to roll their sleeves up and fight for the cause or just stop playing because they cannot be bothered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We (Perranwell) formed a new team this summer and were voted into the league, last season the first team on numerous occasions had to many players, some went to play for other teams but helped us out when needed, we had ex players showing a interest in playing again, and with youth level players making the transition into men’s football we decided to reform the Reserves again.

We have had a very good start to the season, with squads of 12/13 each week and players stepping up to the 1st team when required or on merit. To my knowledge we haven’t folded any clubs within our catchment area, so to say no to any new teams joining the league is shortsighted as each new club/team will have different reasons and agendas for joining. 

Sorry to see Chacewater fold, we have had many a good game against them and hope they regroup and join the league again soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Deano said:

We (Perranwell) formed a new team this summer and were voted into the league, last season the first team on numerous occasions had to many players, some went to play for other teams but helped us out when needed, we had ex players showing a interest in playing again, and with youth level players making the transition into men’s football we decided to reform the Reserves again.

We have had a very good start to the season, with squads of 12/13 each week and players stepping up to the 1st team when required or on merit. To my knowledge we haven’t folded any clubs within our catchment area, so to say no to any new teams joining the league is shortsighted as each new club/team will have different reasons and agendas for joining. 

Sorry to see Chacewater fold, we have had many a good game against them and hope they regroup and join the league again soon. 

Agree totally with above comment. We at TMS did not get voted in this year to Div 4 but kept all players with a Sunday league side.....hoping based on this we will get a second team in Div 4 next season for Saturday football ⚽️👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Is it the same Praze set-up this season from what had to pull out last season? If it is, they have made a quick turnaround and so what's different for them now compared to last?

2-3 new faces on the management and committee with pretty much a complete new team of players.  with sponsorship and the backing of the local pub we are now in a much healthier placer than before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think people are losing interest altogether across the country,

when I watch the weekend goals scored in championship, league 1 league 2 , look how many empty seats there are in the stadiums ! thousands ! I remember going with my dad to bickland park as a kid to watch Falmouth town and the car park was full and there was a good turn out of supporters, its not like that now  , maybe there is too much distractions like going out drinking, playing computer games , people participating in other sports , work , women .

my 10 year old son cant get into local football teams  because there is too many kids wanting to play , how that will change in the next few years .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GEACH1 I have said this before so much money has been thrown at youth football and now I think the tide has turned and if the FA are not careful and do not invest in proper grassroots men’s football there will not be enough teams for all the boys coming through

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t Perranwell have quite a few lads formerly associated with Grampound? I think Grampound have had issues due to loss of players?? 4 or 5 in the Perran squad v Hayle Reserves recently?

Just saying that a limited pool of players these days that have consequences when for whatever reason they move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

FA are not careful and do not invest in proper grassroots men’s football there will not be enough teams for all the boys coming through

But what I’m told, money is available, you have to approach the Cornwall FA and discuss your individual case with them. How many clubs do this, and if not, why not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave the criteria only helps clubs with their own grounds.First questions asked 1. Do you own your own ground. 2 how long a lease do you have. Look around at council facilities and they are steadily getting worse through lack of council budgets.not a dig at the councils if it’s hospitals or schools or old people then they must get priority. Look at the clubs where funding has been given and these clubs with all due respect are not grassroots. Don’t get me wrong as I’ve said before you have to get off your backside and work for it yourself but you have to have willing volunteers and that is where the problem lies, most of these volunteers are getting older and not being replaced and it just gets harder and harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dodgy Hammy said:

Don’t Perranwell have quite a few lads formerly associated with Grampound? I think Grampound have had issues due to loss of players?? 4 or 5 in the Perran squad v Hayle Reserves recently?

Just saying that a limited pool of players these days that have consequences when for whatever reason they move on.

To my knowledge maybe 2 or 3 lads who have played for Grampound in the last few seasons, and one of those is helping to start up a new team in that area. Not exactly a mass exodus,  given the distance between the 2 villages, the vast majority of players signed on at Perranwell this season have previously played for the club, or have a connection to the village. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jules said:

2-3 new faces on the management and committee with pretty much a complete new team of players.  with sponsorship and the backing of the local pub we are now in a much healthier placer than before.

Big money ive heard.. robbo dont manage for nothing!.. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The majority of the Perranwell and Praze side did not register in the Trelawny League last season. Most were ex players that seem to have returned to their local side once they have reformed. 

I literally don't have the time to get you all the stats because it would mean comparing last season's registrations to this season's - but I can certainly say that no local teams should have been affected by these two sides re-joining the league.

What is shocking to see though is the amount of people that registered last season who have not re-registered this season. There is a huge amount. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Money from the FA wouldn’t save chacewater. It’s all about the lack of interest and not just at chacewater

i very much doubt that the County FA give two hoots about what happens down at this level of football. 

I hope that the club can come back next year with enough players. As with all clubs it’s about having a manager who can bring his mates and others, if that can be a local thing then that would be even better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s funny isn’t it that people harp on about The FA and money etc

yet people still refuse to accept the millions of quotes on here.......no amount of money/policy changes/facilities etc can change society.

youngsters lives have changed they see no problem in letting people down anymore,not turning up,turn their phone off!!!

there are many many on here who were used to a good bollicking from there manager or a solid clip round the ear from there father but that has all changed now

the sooner we accept that many things have changed for ever the better we will understand 

two words that do not exist anymore in sport

DESIRE and DEDICATION 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just a Cornwall issue. I collate league tables across the whole of the country, and more than 20% of teams have disappeared over the last 8 years

I haven't finished sorting out data for 2017-18 yet, but in 2008-09 (the first year I did this) there were 11451 teams in my spreadsheet and in 2016-17 just 9137. That covers all levels of open-age Saturday football in England (& Cornwall!) from the Premier League to the most basic of "grassroots" levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Was it just lack of players?

Could it be the council want the land for housing?

We all assume it is a player shortage but we may be wrong.

If it was anything other than a player shortage, I’m certain that Chacewater would say. You could tell just by looking at their teamsheets that they’ve been struggling with numbers. It will Be interesting to see how many of the Chacewater players sign for other clubs (and play).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, digger1000 said:

It’s funny isn’t it that people harp on about The FA and money etc

yet people still refuse to accept the millions of quotes on here.......no amount of money/policy changes/facilities etc can change society.

youngsters lives have changed they see no problem in letting people down anymore,not turning up,turn their phone off!!!

there are many many on here who were used to a good bollicking from there manager or a solid clip round the ear from there father but that has all changed now

the sooner we accept that many things have changed for ever the better we will understand 

two words that do not exist anymore in sport

DESIRE and DEDICATION 

Easy to say but to quote our prime minister “ money doesn’t grow on trees” we are a proactive club and put in hours both on the pitch and off it but it is frustrating that we only have a 12 month contract and cannot get any help so even if we wanted too cannot progress up the ladder of success 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Richard Rundle said:

It's not just a Cornwall issue. I collate league tables across the whole of the country, and more than 20% of teams have disappeared over the last 8 years

I haven't finished sorting out data for 2017-18 yet, but in 2008-09 (the first year I did this) there were 11451 teams in my spreadsheet and in 2016-17 just 9137. That covers all levels of open-age Saturday football in England (& Cornwall!) from the Premier League to the most basic of "grassroots" levels.

Nor is it just football Richard.  All team sports across the country and Europe are suffering similar downturns; sadly I think that Digger1000 isn't too far off the mark.  Trelawny has reduced from 94 teams in 2012-13 to 67 now and that's not far off a 30% reduction in just 5 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Travelling is another massive off put these days

im sure you wouldn’t have all these problems if sennen were back playing pendeen in the West penwith league and marazion were playing madron in the amor shield....just take a look and see we’re some clubs have got to travel to play in a junior football match,it’s ridiculous!

teams in and around the Truro/Falmouth shouldn’t be travelling to mousehole,st just 

to play in the trelawny league 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, digger1000 said:

Travelling is another massive off put these days

im sure you wouldn’t have all these problems if sennen were back playing pendeen in the West penwith league and marazion were playing madron in the amor shield....just take a look and see we’re some clubs have got to travel to play in a junior football match,it’s ridiculous!

teams in and around the Truro/Falmouth shouldn’t be travelling to mousehole,st just 

to play in the trelawny league 

I agree bring back Falmouth helston league and mining leagues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GEACH1 said:

I agree bring back Falmouth helston league and mining leagues

Would get bigger crowds and I think teams would stay for a drink/food more often 

they don’t hang about much if they’ve got an hours drive back to st Erme or probus etc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, digger1000 said:

Travelling is another massive off put these days

im sure you wouldn’t have all these problems if sennen were back playing pendeen in the West penwith league and marazion were playing madron in the amor shield....just take a look and see we’re some clubs have got to travel to play in a junior football match,it’s ridiculous!

teams in and around the Truro/Falmouth shouldn’t be travelling to mousehole,st just 

to play in the trelawny league 

Could this be why Madron have played all their five league games at home to date! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, digger1000 said:

Would get bigger crowds and I think teams would stay for a drink/food more often 

they don’t hang about much if they’ve got an hours drive back to st Erme or probus etc

 

Some good points , but  the West Penwith league had to join the mining league because of a lack of clubs and some teams playing each other quite a few times to get games ,  eg cup competition , played amor shield , west Penwith and mining and enjoyed them all ,  we enjoyed the traveling in the mining league when we joined visiting new grounds , eleven jammed into two cars , with balls ,kit either in the boot or on everyone's  lap . Saturdays was about football playing and listening to the radio for results , no live league televised games , games played at three on a Saturday . Going back to your opponents pub for banter , food a beer  . Now how many work weekends ? Weekends are just a normal part of work pattern ,  students have to make ends meet so work part-time jobs , you have to be sixteen to play adult football .  Players move clubs now  because more have transportation , Social media , live football , games consoles , mobile phones ,  shopping with their partners , in Cornwall surfing , go to any storm beach on a weekend and you can't move for surfers , skateboarding , with lots of good facilities around and mainly free , football alongside rugby and cricket are losing teams,  players . How many go to the gym ? You can go early in the morning or late at night  and as many times as you want. Football isn't the be all and end all I am afraid , it will get worse before it evens out , lots of clubs teams rely on volunteers but when you travel around you see the same faces behind the scenes year after year they are getting older and it is hard today to replace them , we all have so much going on in our lives , society has changed we are more insular it started in the eighties won't get to political on s football forum , we all know teams and clubs , including well established ones that have gone . We will be having this discussion every season for a while yet , shame but true .:(

Just now, digger1000 said:

Travelling is another massive off put these days

im sure you wouldn’t have all these problems if sennen were back playing pendeen in the West penwith league and marazion were playing madron in the amor shield....just take a look and see we’re some clubs have got to travel to play in a junior football match,it’s ridiculous!

teams in and around the Truro/Falmouth shouldn’t be travelling to mousehole,st just 

to play in the trelawny league 

But the pyramid system had to be implemented , which has helped ambitious clubs like , Carharack , West Cornwall , Pendeen  and Ludgvan to progress .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To much organised youth football for me, by the time they are 16 they have been playing organised football for ten years.

They then want something different, not just what their dad wants.....and everything was given to them for ten years - no work effort any more.

The kids of today have had it all given to them, they don't have to build anything anymore.

And a lot of todays football supporters think football is all about watching it on the TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

To much organised youth football for me, by the time they are 16 they have been playing organised football for ten years.

They then want something different, not just what their dad wants.....and everything was given to them for ten years - no work effort any more.

The kids of today have had it all given to them, they don't have to build anything anymore.

And a lot of todays football supporters think football is all about watching it on the TV.

Older going around clubs locally more people are thinking the same way , speaking to a customer as a coach his sons team haven't stopped playing all year with tournament football through the summer in the so called off season .:wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there also less ‘locals’ around now. I grew up in St Agnes and spent all my childhood there and always wanted to play for the village. Does that happen now with the influx of second home owners and people living somewhere but kids schooling elsewhere? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, digger1000 said:

Travelling is another massive off put these days

im sure you wouldn’t have all these problems if sennen were back playing pendeen in the West penwith league and marazion were playing madron in the amor shield....just take a look and see we’re some clubs have got to travel to play in a junior football match,it’s ridiculous!

teams in and around the Truro/Falmouth shouldn’t be travelling to mousehole,st just 

to play in the trelawny league 

Fair point made here by Digger1000 with regards to the travelling,  at St Erme this season we have so far travelled to Lizard, Ruan Minor, St Just and Marazion (to play Mousehole) and have Newlyn away next week and this is all within the 1st couple of months of the season and most players are from the other side of Truro, add to that we still have a further trip to St Buryan to come too!!!!  Madness!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jolzy10 said:

Fair point made here by Digger1000 with regards to the travelling,  at St Erme this season we have so far travelled to Lizard, Ruan Minor, St Just and Marazion (to play Mousehole) and have Newlyn away next week and this is all within the 1st couple of months of the season and most players are from the other side of Truro, add to that we still have a further trip to St Buryan to come too!!!!  Madness!!!

Count yourselves lucky to have got so much of your long distance travels done so early in the season, during the mild weather. Your opponents have to come to you in the bleak midwinter. It may well be madness but what would we do without it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jolzy10 said:

Fair point made here by Digger1000 with regards to the travelling,  at St Erme this season we have so far travelled to Lizard, Ruan Minor, St Just and Marazion (to play Mousehole) and have Newlyn away next week and this is all within the 1st couple of months of the season and most players are from the other side of Truro, add to that we still have a further trip to St Buryan to come too!!!!  Madness!!!

I think this is the main problem that teams are short/folding .

i know lots that get asked ‘can you play Saturday mate we’ve got 10’

possibly we’re are we ?

er umm st keverne away!

no f r off!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Count yourselves lucky to have got so much of your long distance travels done so early in the season, during the mild weather. Your opponents have to come to you in the bleak midwinter. It may well be madness but what would we do without it?

Yeah there is that I suppose Bruegel, just a pain when they are so close together, would be nice to break them up a little!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/11/2017 at 08:03, St Darren said:

Are there also less ‘locals’ around now. I grew up in St Agnes and spent all my childhood there and always wanted to play for the village. Does that happen now with the influx of second home owners and people living somewhere but kids schooling elsewhere? 

Agree with this in some aspects apart from st agnes as they have 3 teams plus a womens side plus youth sides and a disabled side i believe. But think this more comes down to playing with friends and other reasons for teams struggling. Aka playing time. Traveling as less ppl seem to be willing to give lifts. Team spirit in general just not being there. Less volunteers. Cost of running a team. Sadly going to get alot worse before it does better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×