Cornwall Football Forum

Calling games off

4 minutes ago, mbkted said:

Morning gents 

Bit of info required.

Is there a deadline for clubs to call a game off for a Saturday?

We just had ours cancelled last minute cos of no ref.

Just wondered that's all

It’s dependent on the leagues.

In our League, games can not be called off before the date of the game unless the weather has been absolutely awful.

You are not allowed to postpone a game before 12pm due to no appointed match official unless you’ve been told by the Cornwall FA Referee Appointments Officer (Paul Murphy) that there is no chance a referee will become available.

If you’re from the Duchy League, have a look at Rule 10 of their League Rules. The above that I have stated is Trelawny League ruling.

17 minutes ago, digger1000 said:

Is it allowed 

Here's an extract from Trelawny League Rule 13b:

In the event of the non-appearance of the appointed Referee the appointed senior Assistant Referee shall take charge and a substitute Assistant Referee appointed by the competing Teams. In cases where there are no officially appointed Assistant Referees, the Clubs shall endeavour to agree upon a Referee (but see Rule 10a(ii) which shall take precedence). An individual thus agreed upon shall, for that game, have the full powers, status and authority of a registered Referee. Individuals under the age of 16 must not participate either as a Referee or Assistant Referee in any open age competition.

I can't seem to find the Duchy League Rules on Full Time nor their Website so I can't quote theirs. Because these rules are based on the FA's Standard Code of Rules, I am 99% certain that this rule will also be applicable to the Duchy League.

It's worth noting also that in the ordered period (April/May), clubs in our League MUST agree upon a referee if there is no official appointed to the game:

Rule 10.a.iii

Where there is no officially appointed Referee during the ordered matches period the Clubs shall agree upon a Referee. A Referee thus agreed upon shall, for that game, have the full powers, status and authority of a registered Referee. Where no agreement can be struck the fixture will be declared void and both teams fined.

Yes Dave.

Unfortunately with the current shortage of referees, we are having to rely on volunteers to help us out.

We lost three games yesterday due to no appointed referees.

Three games however were officiated by volunteers. 

The club's involved should be commended for agreeing to use a volunteer to officiate the game. The volunteers should also be commended for taking on the role.

This is another reason why it would be good to see more club members enrol on the referee course.

8 minutes ago, digger1000 said:

In this case no games should be called off I know loads of ex players who’ve played a decent standard of football who would love to referee a match now and again they just thought you needed to be a qualified referee!!!

You don’t need to be qualified to step in when there’s no appointed referee - but it does help :)