Cornwall Football Forum

Results 22nd October

League cup

ST.AGNES  (0)  2   Kettle 78, 88

HALSETOWN (2)  2  32, 41     *won 4-3 on pens

Game of two halves at Enys Parc, Halsetown turned up with a strong young for a Vets team side and largely dominated the first half and went in a couple of goals up at the break which was probably about right on the play. Not sure who got the first and how as I was back in the dressing room gathering an extra top as it was a bit fresh in the dug out, the second goal was a sublime chip over home keeper Mark Norgate by Steve Hosking I think it was? . After a bit of half time tinkering and bit of a telling off as much as you can do at Vets level from Kimmo and Steve the hosts produced a much better second half performance. I came on with 35 minutes to go and Tony Penrose played a lovely reverse pass into my path on the edge of area and with my first touch I volleyed against the post. ?. Minutes later with my second touch a cross fell to me ten yards out and the keeper pulled off what I can only describe as a worldly Gordon Banks esq save tipping a shot three feet off the ground over the bar with his forearm. ?? ?  Kimmo would have been chuffed with that in his prime!!! My calf popped ten minutes later which felt like someone stabbing me with a hot poker to end my 20 minute run out and bad day at the office  ?. but the lads kept on knocking at the door and we got a deserved goal back with Colin Kettle getting in over the top and finishing well. The visitors defended well and always looked capable of scoring on the break with Hosking, Kevin Toms and Leigh Murray a very quick frontline but just when it looked all over after we had one headed and then kicked off the line Colin came up with a replica of his first goal shooting under the keeper. On to penalties as the heavens opened and it was the visitors who scored four out of their five taken with Norgate saving well off Roscoe but unfortunately for us defenders Matt Baxter and Rob Watt who both had good games got underneath their pens and in the car park they went and we were out. Probably a fair result on the day as we took too long to get going and the visitors played that bit better over the 90 minutes I think? Well refereed as well by the way, can’t hardly think of either team shouting a comment towards the ref Mr Francis Hood all game which is good to see. That’s about it, I’m off to whack another bag of ice on my calf and watch Spurs beat Liverpool hopefully? No game for three weeks now, might be a good thing for all our aching body parts ?⚽️