Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL & FA Vase - Saturday October 21st 2017

Results, Post-match reports and comments

FA VASE 1ST ROUND PROPER

Bodmin Town    P-P   Swanage Town   

Brockenhurst     2,   Crediton United   1 (aet, 1-1 after 90 mins)

Fareham Town     4,   Ivybridge Town   3

Newport IOW     5,   Bovey Tracey   0

Odd Down    1,   Tavistock    2

Plymouth Parkway    6,   Sandhurst Town    1

Portchester    2,   Cullompton Rangers    3

PREMIER DIVISION

Callington Town    P-P   Stoke Gabriel   

Camelford   P-P   St Austell                          

Exmouth Town    2,   Newquay   3

Godolphin Atlantic    P-P   Saltash United              

Helston Athletic     2,   Witheridge     0  

Plymouth Argyle    P-P   Falmouth Town

Sticker    0,   Torpoint Athletic    0

DIVISION ONE EAST

Alphington    P-P   Torridgeside   

Appledore    P-P   Brixham   

Honiton Town    P-P    Newton Abbot Spurs             

Ilfracombe Town    P-P   Budleigh Salterton   

Liverton United    P-P   Teignmouth             

Sidmouth Town    P-P   Galmpton & Roselands   

University of Exeter    3,   Axminster Town    1

DIVISION ONE WEST

Liskeard Athletic    P-P   Ludgvan   

Mousehole    4,   Dobwalls    1

Penzance    P-P   Elburton Villa   

Plymouth Marjon    1,   Wendron United   1

Plymstock United    P-P   Illogan RBL  

Porthleven    P-P   Holsworthy   

St Dennis    P-P   Millbrook   

Out of 28 games I'd be surprised if more than three make it to the final whistle, and those will be the out-of-county Vase games. Storm "Brian" looks set to wipe out all the football in the Southwest. The postponements will ripple down the next few weeks and months. 

I have a long history of being proved wrong on this forum, let's just hope that trend continues!

14 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Not sure if that makes the Ref a hero or a villain. But I'd put money on the groundsmans opinion! The players on the other hand, medals all 'round.?

Didn't start off that way Elder it was just a really strong wind but second half the rain was added and it was uncomfortable to watch and even more uncomfortable for the players. They came off shivering! 

17 minutes ago, razor61 said:

Didn't start off that way Elder it was just a really strong wind but second half the rain was added and it was uncomfortable to watch and even more uncomfortable for the players. They came off shivering! 

One came off with no shirt on ! Nutter !! Credit to both teams for trying to play in those conditions.Neither teams looked liked scoring.

13 minutes ago, razor61 said:

Yep, hats off to both sets of players and the three match officials for the effort put in on an atrocious afternoon, but in the end 'Brian' was the winner. 

Exmouth Town 2 Newquay 3... Newquay cruising at 2-0 then the referee decides people had paid to see him, and lost the plot. Lost count of his bookings, but two Newquay players were sent off. It wasn't a dirty game, so how he managed so many cards is beyond me. Newquay defended like lives depended on it. Exmouth, despite bossing possession, camping in the Newquay half, and coming from 2-0 down, still lost. I am not quite sure how that's possible.

There was a hopper at the game who shelled out £100 on the train to see the game from Nottingham. Fair play to him, but I bet he had Fergie's Bum Syndrome sat on the train down, and seeing the weather. Still, it appears he enjoyed the game.

Sticker 0-0 Torpoint

I was one of the fools on the top side watching this one. Sorry, but this game should not have been played - pitch held up fine, but the wind made the result a pure lottery. I know wind isn’t  a reason for a postponement per sae but common sense must have a small part to play.

Both teams did try to play football and yes it is the same for both teams, however, there was nothing to do with team styles / coaching or individual ability - keymoments were down to gusts of 50mph winds.

Objectively, Torpoint looked very light on players and appeared to have a few away - Sticker were missing JB and Joel C and from what I was informed Tyler Cheshire who has moved on to Newquay for game time????

For large parts of the game Torpoint were the better team, and if their No11 had not butchered several chances could of scored two or three. Sticker, unfortunately looked weak in midfield and toothless upfront - their players are decent enough but the conditions negated them more than Torpoint. Stickers new keeper did impress though.

I think Sticker will feel happier with the point and it’s a fixture ‘out of the way’, but in reality I think Sticker are a good team and could have possibly taken all three on a ‘normal’ playing day - as I said at the start - both teams might as well have flipped a coin at the start to decide points and stayed in watching the telly.

Well done Newquay another great win but 2 more players sent off thats 4 in the last 2 games i think ,heard Nelson and Tornado both sent off maybe they did it to get there train back to Plymouth if there was to be a manager of the year award Tony Mc Kellar would surely be awarded that  the team is transformed from last years awful performances keep up the good work but not when you play the G at Christmas

Just wanted to say well done to all the lads today!! Down to 10 men after 15 mins and down to 9 men 2 mins into the second half......the ref had a shocker but the lads never gave up and put there bodies on the line right till the end....we deserved the result......??⚽️