Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL Rep squad announced to face County Youth

Here’s the Mortgage Advice Bureau East Cornwall Premier League Representative squad for Thursday’s match against the Cornwall FA County Youth squad.

Please note that there is going to be a change in venue and hopefully this will be confirmed sometime later today.

Jamie Burnell (Newquay)
Chris Bray (Bere Alston)
Jamie Kay (St Teath)
Dale Hooper (Polperro)
Liam Dingle (St Austell)
Callum Maghee (Lanreath)
Dave Gilbert (Polperro)
Liam Ames (Wadebridge)
Kieran Faulkner (Looe)
Ryan Moorhead (Bere Alston)
Jake Street (St Austell)
Cam Bidgood (St Austell)
Sam Lane (Polperro)
Jimmy Miles (Pensilva)
Dan Follet (Bere Alston)
Zach Smith-Brokenshire (St Austell)
Huw Morgan (Wadebridge)
Gareth Geech (Roche)
Anton Lake (St Austell)

Emails were sent to all clubs inviting nominations. Players were selected from those clubs who kindly replied. Some clubs chose not to release players, citing proximity to club games on Saturday. Some clubs didn't reply. Some players jumped at the chance to represent the league. 

I’ve not been involved in it but told that every club in the leagues was emailed and asked who would be available and interested, those who are picked were the only clubs willing!

Have to say great effort from the likes of Bere Alston.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Some clubs chose not to release players, citing proximity to club games on Saturday

Really! ? Bit heavy that!

Just seen this thread . Unreal that no players from the teams that finished first and second in the league last year . Never Hird of the players that has been named . ECPL side to to represent the league absolute shambles 

13 minutes ago, Haveyouheard said:

No torpoint players selected? This a joke? It should be their whole squad! But in fairness why would they lower themselves playing next to a donkey! 

Should be the whole Torpoint squad watched them the other day most there players should be playing swpl football . Surely it should be done on form not who the joke of a manger has picked. 

29 minutes ago, Cornwall football fan✋ said:

Just seen this thread . Unreal that no players from the teams that finished first and second in the league last year . Never Hird of the players that has been named . ECPL side to to represent the league absolute shambles 

Should be the whole Torpoint squad watched them the other day most there players should be playing swpl football . Surely it should be done on form not who the joke of a manger has picked. 

But again if torpoint havent put there players forward the person selecting the squad cant choose them. Have you ever thought they just want to concentrate on playing for there club and win everything again. Picking a squad isnt as easy as you think. People work then they also train midweek amd have family! 

Torpoint are probably too busy winning the league and sticking to the trojan training routines they have to be able to free up any time to do this.

Nice to see a Looe player there, guessing that suspensions aren't valid for this game as I'm sure that's why the cup game was off last week (no players due to suspensions)

There are 2 Torpoint players on over 10 goals already this season so am a little suprised they didn't fancy a go..... the guy who just scores penalties and free kicks and the guy they call walts? Best of luck to the ECPL reserves

2 minutes ago, Cornishfootball said:

Torpoint are probably too busy winning the league and sticking to the trojan training routines they have to be able to free up any time to do this.

Nice to see a Looe player there, guessing that suspensions aren't valid for this game as I'm sure that's why the cup game was off last week (no players due to suspensions)

There are 2 Torpoint players on over 10 goals already this season so am a little suprised they didn't fancy a go..... the guy who just scores penalties and free kicks and the guy they call walts? Best of luck to the ECPL reserves

Another lad they have scored 5 a couple of weeks ago too.. some squad they have! A frightening forward line up for any team in that league! 

55 minutes ago, cornishyaya said:

Another lad they have scored 5 a couple of weeks ago too.. some squad they have! A frightening forward line up for any team in that league! 

5 by one guy in one game!!?? I heard some teams have only just about scored that this entire season so far between them!! Must be the Harry Kane of ECPL, predator

? The comments on here get more laughable by the week. The Torpoint manager was the very first person I contacted regarding player availability, for obvious reasons. Torpoint chose not to release players due to their game on Saturday. A number of other clubs didn't respond, so we selected players from the remaining clubs, with a number from clubs in the top 5, plus one or two from elsewhere. I don't think the pedigree of the likes of Ames, Morgan et al can be doubted by anyone with any sort of football nous?

With an important SWCC game coming up on the 21st October at Saltash and the a trip to Kent in The FA County Youth Cup on 28thOctober it was extremely important to play the game against the East Cornwall XI.

Sadly due to the poor weather and clubs understandably wanting to protect their pitches St Austell were not able to host the fixture, having phoned several clubs to enquire they were all in the same position, again we completely understand this and appreciate all the clubs who at least tried to find a way. I have yet to find a club in Cornwall who won’t support us if they can. We were also aware that with several of the U18 squad coming from the West of the County going too far East was a problem and obviously with it being an East Cornwall squad we couldn’t head West so Par Running Track is the new venue, it is a very good pitch and facility and we are looking forward to the game

I would also like to add that the managers of The East Cornwall side, have, on fairly short notice managed to get a squad together to play us, again it is hugely important in our preparation and we appreciate the efforts that Matt and Mark have gone to. Several teams have asked players not to play and it is worth saying that Matt and Mark are organising this as volunteers in their own time and for that, as with all volunteers who make the game what it is, Cornwall FA is extremely appreciative.

Richard Pallot

Governance Manager

Cornwall Football Association Limited   

15 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

With such criticism, negativity and near offensive comments being publicly aired on the forum it's amazing anyone volunteers to do anything.

Well done and good luck to the managers, clubs and players who are willing to help out  the County Youth side.

Does make one wonder why they bother!

Choosing a Representative squad is always a nightmare as everyone would select a different team!

Even more tricky when not all players are available and people aren’t aware of that!

I agree with Paul and have nothing but praise for Mark and Matt for doing it. ??⚽️

I think having a rep team is a great thing, I would have loved to have been involved in that back in my day!. If some teams don't want to release their players then there aint much you can do about it. Maybe should be blaming the clubs and not the guys trying to put a team together?

Maybe we can get a vets rep team together to give the East Cornwall team a game?

On 10/10/2017 at 12:45, Cornwall football fan✋ said:

If they are that superior then why don't they go play in the swpl? or maybe if they played at a  higher standard then they would become the donkeys of that team. I think theres a few bruised egos on here from players who didn't get selected. Probably not because your not good enough but probably because your right cocks and these so called donkeys don't want to play next to helmets who think they are to good for this league. Good luck to the the selected East Cornwall team, I'm sure they will do the league proud. 

55 minutes ago, Spectator said:

If they are that superior then why don't they go play in the swpl? or maybe if they played at a  higher standard then they would become the donkeys of that team. I think theres a few bruised egos on here from players who didn't get selected. Probably not because your not good enough but probably because your right cocks and these so called donkeys don't want to play next to helmets who think they are to good for this league. Good luck to the the selected East Cornwall team, I'm sure they will do the league proud. 

You certainly have a way with words Spectator‼️(Help somebody, which is the emoji for "cringe"?) ??⛑⁉️

33 minutes ago, Spectator said:

Swpl is who you know not what you know.. some very poor players with big egos in that league talk the talk but nothing to offer you.. £25 a game isn't worth not enjoying your football with your mates.. and for what? Some very poor teams in both leagues now. 

43 minutes ago, cornishyaya said:

Swpl is who you know not what you know.. some very poor players with big egos in that league talk the talk but nothing to offer you.. £25 a game isn't worth not enjoying your football with your mates.. and for what? Some very poor teams in both leagues now. 

I don't think any player in the SWPL should be paid to play, regardless how good they. They should play for the love of the game. There is no loyalty to clubs these days!

1 hour ago, Spectator said:

Spectator ???Donkeys of the team . That's laughable .

Watched Torpoint ECPL last week and at least 7/8 could play higher and do well . not be no donkey . And Well funny enough one of the Torpoint ECPL players played for their SWPL side scored a hatrick won a penalty first 2 mins and had a couple of assists on Tuesday . The lad walts or something like that . So don't think it's about the quality of the lads maybe they just enjoy playing with there mates and having a laugh isn't that what football is about enjoying it . Think Cornish yaya is right why play for 25 quid and not enjoying it . 

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

You certainly have a way with words Spectator‼️(Help somebody, which is the emoji for "cringe"?) ??⛑⁉️

Spectator sounds like he knows the league and watches a lot of it ??? and maybe all the lads like winning The league and winning trophies . Haven't Torpoint won it 3 year in a row ?And it's  Not all about money . Few of the lads have been on big money at big clubs in swpl and still prefer to play with their mates . All about enjoying your football 

3 minutes ago, Cornishfootball said:

Unlucky to St Austell on losing to the U18s, was this a game arranged far in advance? Switched venues a few times and no Torpoint, maybe have it on a different date?

Should of just got Torpoint to play would of been better representation for the league . 5.1 loss should be ashamed to lose like that to an under 18 side . Agree with Cornish football maybe arranged in between a time when fixtures weren't so congested and maybe got a team out do the league proud . Fair play to the people who went outta there way to try and arrange it to get players in .

1 hour ago, Spectator said:

5-1.. are you ******* serious? hate to say I told you so but that's what you get when you put an awful team out.. change the location multiple times.. the league has just been embarrassed tonight! That is not a true representation of what this league can offer! Poor showing from all involved.  

Let’s not forget that over 60% of the County Youth squad actually play SWPL football and are going to be no pushovers!

Until this week the game was scheduled to be at St Austell and only on Tuesday was it switched elsewhere. Unfortunately on arriving at Par this evening it was decided the grass was going to be too long for a decent game and thankfully St Blazey saved the day. Well done Martin Richards for enabling that to happen.

As for the subject of Torpoint players, no matter how good they are, they were not available to play at the wish of their club. That has to be respected by everyone. We will never know how the game would have gone. As it is the Youth were without at least four of the originally named squad. Both squads suffered absenteeism so there’s not really much point wondering what if!

I always laugh when I hear that so and so group of players just want to  " play with their mates " and " enjoy their football "

It seems a remarkable coincidence that these are nearly always teams full of players that have the ability to play at a higher level but choose not to, and, more importantly are hoovering  up trophies galore and hardly ever losing.

I never seem to read about teams at the bottom of the table that " want to play with their mates "

3 minutes ago, Brianmooreshead said:

I always laugh when I hear that so and so group of players just want to  " play with their mates " and " enjoy their football "

It seems a remarkable coincidence that these are nearly always teams full of players that have the ability to play at a higher level but choose not to, and, more importantly are hoovering  up trophies galore and hardly ever losing.

I never seem to read about teams at the bottom of the table that " want to play with their mates "

That's because nobody talks about the teams at the bottom

6 minutes ago, Brianmooreshead said:

A lot of players, and it seems this way with torpoint, have a squad that does have players more than capable of playing in the higher leagues. But it’s not always a question of ability, sometimes comes down to commitments and availability. For example. Myself (not saying I am good enough for SWPL but....)Work lots of late shifts through winters and struggle to get weekends covered, 2 children under 19months old, so can’t commit to the training and travel or even to be there every week. 

Stu clark, works the odd Saturday and has a very young family also. Struggles to train so can’t give the commitment levels needed for  SWPL. 

Luke dodderridge the same, as is Darren hicks (who has now gone into management with us), Ben waters doesnt Drive so would need to rely on others to get to and from games, Gaz hird Pete Bradly nick hill, Ben Applegate, all forces lads and are away all week. 

I could go on, but if thees players can’t give the commitment fully to the league, the commitment the league requires and deserves, then why not all play a lower league together and really enjoy playing good football and being able to challenge to win things each year. 

1 minute ago, rob brown said:

A lot of players, and it seems this way with torpoint, have a squad that does have players more than capable of playing in the higher leagues. But it’s not always a question of ability, sometimes comes down to commitments and availability. For example. Myself (not saying I am good enough for SWPL but....)Work lots of late shifts through winters and struggle to get weekends covered, 2 children under 19months old, so can’t commit to the training and travel or even to be there every week. 

Stu clark, works the odd Saturday and has a very young family also. Struggles to train so can’t give the commitment levels needed for  SWPL. 

Luke dodderridge the same, as is Darren hicks (who has now gone into management with us), Ben waters doesnt Drive so would need to rely on others to get to and from games, Gaz hird Pete Bradly nick hill, Ben Applegate, all forces lads and are away all week. 

I could go on, but if thees players can’t give the commitment fully to the league, the commitment the league requires and deserves, then why not all play a lower league together and really enjoy playing good football and being able to challenge to win things each year. 

Most sensible comment to be posted on this pointless topic. At the end of the day Torpoint want to win things. Turning up to play a meanless game on a thursday night. 

Great club uo at torpoint great people around them. Good luck to them. 

My guess is now this game has been played we dont nees to go over the same crap!

This fixture was arranged to 'help out' Glynn and the County u18 squad in preparation for the start of their campaign and try and go one better than last seasons record breaking side. It's timing was fixed by the County  Youth timetable and so as to not clash with league fixtures.

Last season the Combo brought together a team and made it an enjoyable event and this season the Combo brought together another team and linked it into a great memorial event for Andy Trathen - the idea was, I am sure, for the ECPL to do the same this season and try to get the 'Cornish football community' to support all the youth players from across the County. 

The U18's are good players and most play SWPL (West and some even Prem) and the others ECPL and Combo - so they would give any ECPL or Combo scratch team a very hard game (winning both as it happens this year). 

Some of the comments above are very poor, in my view, it's not about who thinks who's the best players, it's who's available and willing to support the County Youth. 

From me - a big thank you to all those involved in making this game happen, players and coaches, hopefully next season it will happen again, with less unnecessary criticism. 

Not sure why this turned into a thread about Torpoint. From my point of view, a squad was pulled together from multiple clubs, and it was great to see the lads all having a laugh and enjoying themselves - a few friendships were forged and previous rivalries forgotten. Some good players in the Cornwall side, with 2-3 real stars on show - we hit the bar, missed 2 sitters, and the score line could (and should) have been closer. Well done to all involved, an enjoyable evening

11 hours ago, rob brown said:

Security breach from Rob Brown, giving the full names of people in the forces ? are you crazy there are some pretty radical people in cornwall ?

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 08:44, cornishlegend said:

Most sensible comment to be posted on this pointless topic. At the end of the day Torpoint want to win things. Turning up to play a meanless game on a thursday night. 

Great club uo at torpoint great people around them. Good luck to them. 

My guess is now this game has been played we dont nees to go over the same crap!

Well you can guess what you like

If I or someone else wants to talk about this particular subject we certainly don't need your approval !

If you find it pointless go off and comment on something more interesting