Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay v Foxhole Stars - Game ON

Guest RedDel

Guest Peppermint

Correct Anita - scorers for Newquay were Shaun Middleton, Patrick Rushden and Luke Weldhen. Score line flatters Newquay really because after they went ahead the visitors had 2 or 3 great chances.

I expect Darin will put one of his excellent reports on here. I had the pleasure of meeting the legendary Darin after the game yesterday.

Well done to Newquay for getting the game played yesterday when so many other games were postponed.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

During the 2nd half, I counted 124 in the ground but some may have stayed in the clubhouse from H/T. I would say that it was a fair crowd as some arrived at Mount Wise just after the final whistle having been to Argyle v Bristol C - many more were no doubt dragged out shopping and the weather would have put a few off too. Surprisingly, the Mount Wise pitch was in superb condition, the wind drying out the worst of any excess moisture. When sliding tackles went in, there were no tell tale signs of a muddy boot track, worst pitch in the league we have been told by some, I would say there are few better in this division at this stage of the season.

3-0 Newquay, had chances been taken then it would have been 5-5 and we would have been treated to extra time and the penalties that I predicted. Foxes played with the gale from the clubhouse end after winning the toss and could have had the game wrapped up before h/t. However, it was Newquay who played the better football and even had a few decent chances to put preessure on the visitors but the majority were snuffed out. The ref asst on the right hand side was kept busy as every Newquay attack was bluntly ended by some industrial defending but the resulting free kicks did not trouble the Foxes keeper. Foxhole had two clear chances to go in at h/t with the lead but failed to take advantage of some hesitant defending.

Newquay caught the visitors out in the 46th min after a quick break down the left and the ball made its way to Sean Middleton to fire home. After that it was a black/white tide surging against the wind and heading toward the home goal, wave after wave of Foxhole attacks were either wasted or repelled. It was not until the last 10mins that Newquay pressed on and wrapped the match up with a corker from Paddy Rushton who blasted home from 35 yards with the keeper seemingly signing autographs on the touchline. I missed Luke Wheldons goal in the last minute as Newquay fans filed out of the main stand and headed for the sanctuary of the Bar.

With both Adam Bromley and Pieter Battenburg missing, the Peppermints may have lacked some creativity going forward, this was compounded when Liam Dingle went off injured after just 18mins to be replaced up front by Sean Middleton with sub Jack Hunter slotting into midfield. Andy 'Elmo' White returned to defensive duty and ensured that the Foxes were limited to long range efforts, most of which ended up 10 yards wide. Andy himself was subbed and Jody Dean went on up front as Newquay changed to a 3-4-3 formation.

Launceston away need hold no fear for the the Peppermints who have already turned over Prem Div Torpoint, the difference between the divisions is not huge and upsets can and have already happened. Newquays travelling fans will hope that another upset is on the cards for 12th Jan at Pennygilliam. Coming to get ya Spider !

Newquay 3 Foxhole 0

Saturday 8th December 2007

The result was a travesty as Foxhole were again the better team, only conceding two late goals when throwing caution to the severe wind in a vain search for a deserved equaliser. Ultimately, however, they were left to rue their inability both to hold on to a lead last week and to make use of the gale today.

Foxhole created little in the first half, routinely overhitting their passes while the midfield displayed a stubborn reluctance to venture forward. Although Giles was denied by Billy Holland after a good run, the clearest opportunity fell to a sliding Middleton, who just failed to convert Rushden's centre, while inviting corners from Warne again appeared our most likely threat.

Newquay opened the scoring within seconds of the restart. The referee missed a clear handball by Andy Morris, Rushden dribbled down the left before crossing for Middleton to guide home a simple header. The rest of the game was largely dominated by the Foxes, as the home team were forced back, often into some desperate defending. Hill saw two efforts fly past the post, Dillon blazed wide from eight yards and a diving Friendship somehow missed a free header, while more corners from Warne suggested an equaliser was imminent.

Rowe, earlier harshly booked for an innocuous challenge on Rigby, was pushed up front as Foxhole piled forward but, unfortunately, with barely a defender now in sight, Newquay twice broke away to clinch the tie. First, on 89, Rushden took advantage of a poor clearance from Ryan Holland to slot into an empty net from 25 yards, before Weldhen out-muscled Morris to give the scoreline a distinctly surreal air.

Foxhole (3-5-2): Ryan Holland 6; Colin Morris 6, David Grose 7, Mark Rowe 6; Kyle Friendship 6, Martin Giles 6, Jason Warne 6, Jeff Dillon 6, Steve Panter 6; Scott Hill 6, Adam Holland 6.

Newquay (3-5-2): Billy Holland; Oliver Dart, Andy Morris, Perry Harvey; Luke Rigby, Patrick Rushden, Andy White (sub. Jodie Dean), Sam McKune, Sean Middleton; Liam Dingle (sub. Jack Hunter), Luke Weldhen.

Referee: Mr Tony Allen (Bodmin) 6.

Guest Peppermint

In reply to Soccer Follower - I would estimate by the end of the game there were almost the same as the Hayle match with about the 150 mark. This is due to some people who seem to magically appear after half time and there were some people who I spoke to who came later because the Newquay/Foxhole game was the only Senior game on in the area.

I thought the teams were fairly well matched but as Darin states the visitors missed chances but so did Newquay. The final score line did flatter Newquay but I could not understand why Newquay, after they took the lead surrendered the midfield to their opponents. Probably something to do with Shaun Middleton having to move upfront with Luke Weldhen after Liam Dingle went off in the first half.

Newquay certainly missed the creativity of Pieter Batenburg and Adam Bromley but in the end it will be interesting for Newquay to play a Premier League team like Launceston because as the Judge states Newquay did match Torpoint Athletic in the Charity Cup and will now play Saltash United another Premier club who in my humble opinion could win the League.

Finally - the much maligned Mount Wise pitch did stand up well and at least people wre able to watch a game of football instead of Christmas shopping! Obviously the high winds did not help but everywhere in the County was subjected to them at the weekend.

Listening to Colin Quinn on the radio,the Hayle v Penryn attendance for this SWPL(W) game at windy Trevassack was estimated up to 150

The seasonal average for Hayle is only 26 (highest 36) so they benefitted being the only senior game in West Cornwall.

According to the official SWPL attendance board ONLY 41 spectators paid to get in.

Any ideas Why so low?

Guest Peppermint

At the Newquay /Foxhole match the crowd got quite a bit bigger towards half time. Anything to do with the gates being opened to the Clubhouse for half time!!!! Certainly the crowd numbers increased again after the break.

Quote: "Launceston away need hold no fear for the the Peppermints who have already turned over Prem Div Torpoint, the difference between the divisions is not huge and upsets can and have already happened. Newquays travelling fans will hope that another upset is on the cards for 12th Jan at Pennygilliam. Coming to get ya Spider!" :Quote

Don't you mean Newquay's travelling fan?? Or are you planning on picking up a few hitchhikers along the way? (Not that there'd be any room in the car if you were in it!!) Ha ha!! Bring it on Judge, can't wait!!

P.s. You owe me a pint!!