Cornwall Football Forum

Best Refs in the west ?

:clapper: Refs come in for a fair share of stick at all levels of the game, but lets face it fellas its not an easy job. For the most part it is pretty much a thankless task.

In my own opinion the standard of refereeing at grass roots level localy can be very frustrating at times, but on the positive side their are also some very good refs around, and maybe we don't focus enough on, or give enough credit to these good refs.

So lets open the debate on two topics

1) What are the best qualities of a good referee. The qualities that will give them the best chance of earning the respect of players, managers and supporters.

2) Who are the top referees on the cornwall curcuit, Junior and Senior. Who are the standard bearers for the others to follow, and who are the rising stars.

Nearly lastly, on the subject of refs, i am aware that Ray Brown took a pool of young Cornish referees to gain some experience refereeing in a tournament abraod last year. As i understand it, Ray is doing the same again this year and is looking for help to fund the trip.

With a current national shortage of refs, i feel that this is a great initiative and should be encouraged by all of us with a keen interest in the local game. These are the local refs of the future.

Their has been much negative comment on the site recently, but wouldn't it be great if something positive and constuctive was done on this forum. Like somehow making a contribution to the young refs trip, any ideas ?

Lastly, here are my own personal thoughts on the qualities of a good ref:-

1) Is Fair and strong

2) Lets the game flow without unnecesary interuptions, yet controls the game.

3) Is Firm on dangerous play

4) Keeps up with play

5) Anylises his own performance, acknowledges his own mistakes, constantly trying to improve

6) good rapport with players yet firm when needed,

7) Smiles

8) Is approachable after the match

9) Holds no grudges

Best ref:- Colin Spence (Newquay)

I dont know his name but the ref who came from the championship last season he is quality,lets the game flow enjoys himself you can talk to him but you know not to push it and he holds his hands up if he makes a mistake top ref and a top bloke of the pitch.

(see anita I can say nice things about refs :clapper: )

Derek

Ray Brown as head, Kevin Wilkinson & myself did take a group of 9 young referees from pretty much all over Cornwall to the Denmark Soccer Festival at Ishoj at the end of July 2007.

A very successful trip saw 12 referees covering 240 matches (20 mins each way 11-a-side) over 4 days, with teams from all over Europe, & as far away as USA & even Brazil taking part.

We received only one complaint! This was mainly due to language barriers, & was easily overcome. the Tournament Officials had nothing but praise (we won't mention the karaoke!) for all of us, & can't wait to have us back!

Another trip is happening in July 2008, with hopefully an even larger group of youngsters & any donations however large or small will be greatly appreciated. If anyone is interested in helping fund this, or to simply make a donation, then please contact Ray Brown or Kevin Wilkinson. They will also be able to give you better information than myself at present.

Many thanks for your very positive comments

Gary Cornish

There are a number of quality referee's around, and you're right in saying that they don't get enough praise in what is a difficult job at times:

Colin Spence is a quality referee as well as a top bloke.

I've had Paul Cackett quite a few times in the Duchy League and he is always firm and fair - yet to see him have a bad game!

Good refs we've had at St Newlyn East in the past have been Dave Lobb and Gary Cornish. Both are always in control, make fair decisions and don't treat players like 'naughty school kids'. You can also have a bit of banter with them either on the pitch or managing from the side.

Agree with views about Colin Spence...quality ref.

Guest Peppermint

There are some very good referees in the County and it was nice to see Colin Spence's name mentioned by Derek Martin and others. It is always refreshing to see some referees with a smile on their face and appearing to be enjoying the game and can have some banter with players. Much better, in my opinion, than starting out trying to be confrontational.

coopsie who is the fat bold bloke down guval everytime we play?

he always does a really good job never have a complaint about him

Would I be right in assuming that you're talking about a ref tms no9?.

yes mate who is it?

I believe you may be talking about a certain Norman Wood tms no9.. He was also a heck of a player and I think that his thorough understanding of the passion and desire within a player allows him to have a greater understanding of certain situations, therefore he isn't as "whistle happy" as many officials and understands the difference between a blatant foul and a mistimed challenge.

Having known him since 1986 and being a friend of all his family, I figure that I know him better than most and I'll be only too glad to pass on your kind words tms no9.

I'm not too sure how much officiating he'll get to do this season though because after leaving his position as Penzance Combination manager, he is now running Madron 1st team in mining 2.

coopsie who is the fat bold bloke down guval everytime we play?

he always does a really good job never have a complaint about him

Would I be right in assuming that you're talking about a ref tms no9?.

yes mate who is it?

I believe you may be talking about a certain Norman Wood tms no9.. He was also a heck of a player and I think that his thorough understanding of the passion and desire within a player allows him to have a greater understanding of certain situations, therefore he isn't as "whistle happy" as many officials and understands the difference between a blatant foul and a mistimed challenge.

Having known him since 1986 and being a friend of all his family, I figure that I know him better than most and I'll be only too glad to pass on your kind words tms no9.

I'm not too sure how much officiating he'll get to do this season though because after leaving his position as Penzance Combination manager, he is now running Madron 1st team in mining 2.

yeah mate that would be nice like i said i personally have played you away twice and have yet to spot a single mistake and like you said he lets the game roll instead of blowing every 5 seconds