Cornwall Football Forum

South West Counties Championship 2017/18.

David Bray

The South West Counties Championship got underway today at Westbury FC where the hosts Wiltshire Under 18's lost by 4 goals to 1 to visiting Oxfordshire Under 18's.

This is a Group B fixture which includes Gloucestershire.

A reminder that Group A will be contested by Cornwall, Devon & Somerset.

Counties in each group play each other home and away.

Next Saturday Devon host Kent at Coach Road in Round 1 of the FA County Youth Cup Competition, the winners will host Cornwall Under 18's who by virtue of reaching last season's Final have been awarded a bye into Round 2.

Cornwall start their campaign on Saturday 21st October when they entertain Somerset Under 18's at Kimberley Stadium home of Saltash United FC. Kick Off at 2.30 pm.

David - last season the County U18's made St Blazey their 'home' and clearly that worked well for them with familiarity of the ground / playing surface - it also meant that away teams had to travel well into Cornwall. 

Why the change this year? Playing Somerset in Saltash means that several Cornwall players will travel for longer than some Somerset players???? 

I know some may complain about 'favouring' clubs, but Glynn was very clear last season as to why games were played at Blaise Park. 

Also last season Liskeard actively discouraged their good young players representing the County and yet they have been rewarded with a fixture there this season - does not send out a great message. 

I'm not saying it should be St Blazey again this year (although it could be) - but the same club for all games and preferably one in mid/ west Cornwall to make teams travel - then reward deserving clubs with the inter league / memorial friendly game(s).

Bob.

A lot of what you have stated i could not disagree with, however all arrangements for County Rep matches are not now my responsibility . You would need to speak with Richard Pallot.

If you come along to the warm up matches against either the Combo or East Cwll. I am sure Richard  will explain to you  the reasons why grounds other than St.Blazey are being used this season.

10 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

David - last season the County U18's made St Blazey their 'home' and clearly that worked well for them with familiarity of the ground / playing surface - it also meant that away teams had to travel well into Cornwall. 

Why the change this year? Playing Somerset in Saltash means that several Cornwall players will travel for longer than some Somerset players???? 

I know some may complain about 'favouring' clubs, but Glynn was very clear last season as to why games were played at Blaise Park. 

Also last season Liskeard actively discouraged their good young players representing the County and yet they have been rewarded with a fixture there this season - does not send out a great message. 

I'm not saying it should be St Blazey again this year (although it could be) - but the same club for all games and preferably one in mid/ west Cornwall to make teams travel - then reward deserving clubs with the inter league / memorial friendly game(s).

I am reminded by one of my colleagues that 'we' did play our only SWCYC home fixture at Helston Athletic last season. Whilst St.Blazey hosted our FACYC matches.

In the past I can say that in some instances we chose a ground close to the Devon border if another county had a long distance to travel. I know their journey is not really our concern but if the game is played both ways then everyone is happy. 

A few years ago we played Dorset so they made us play at Portland rather than somewhere nearer. The next season we played them at Penzance! We then had a chat over a beer in the clubhouse and agreed it was madness to trek each other over the West Country when we could play at Saltash or Launceston. We would then play them at Bridport or Dorchester. 

Sometimes working with other counties works in your favour as by the time you get back from long trips it's tomorrow and you've got kids on board. 

Just saying. 

16 minutes ago, Tommy Matthews said:

In the past I can say that in some instances we chose a ground close to the Devon border if another county had a long distance to travel. I know their journey is not really our concern but if the game is played both ways then everyone is happy. 

A few years ago we played Dorset so they made us play at Portland rather than somewhere nearer. The next season we played them at Penzance! We then had a chat over a beer in the clubhouse and agreed it was madness to trek each other over the West Country when we could play at Saltash or Launceston. We would then play them at Bridport or Dorchester. 

Sometimes working with other counties works in your favour as by the time you get back from long trips it's tomorrow and you've got kids on board. 

Just saying. 

Well said ...common sense should always prevail.

Purely for discussion, as I said earlier I am sure Richard with Glynn have excellent reasons for the choosing the grounds.

David - you are right about Helston being used for the only SWCYC (which last season was only one match and not a two leg affair) and the game against the Combo was also played there. However, Glynn then publicly said about giving the lads a home advantage by playing all home competitive games at one location - that seems to have gone by the board this year.

Tommy - I never suggested taking home games down to Penzance and common sense must prevail, however by choosing Saltash it means players and supporters from Penzance (and I believe there may be a couple likely selected from the pointy end), will take longer to get to their home game than players from Bridgewater, which is in the middle of Somerset. Playing in mid Cornwall would not be disadvantaging away teams as 'we' would not complain about playing in the middle of any other county, but more importantly it wouldn't be disadvantaging our own players.

Cornish teams (youth or adult) always suffers through travelling, by nature of where we are in the Country, it takes longer and costs us more - why make it harder for ourselves - that was all.

• 3 weeks later...

Tommy, I remember that Dorset trip well. Long old day. The two good things were that it wasn't  blowing a gale or chucking it down, very tranquil as I recall. Lost, but at least one of our lads hit a screamer! 

Mind you not as long a trip as the time we played Liverpool away in the 1/4 final of the FA County Youth Cup! Now that was a trip! Happy days. Hope all is well with you.

1 hour ago, Pete Foxwell 1 said:

Tommy, I remember that Dorset trip well. Long old day. The two good things were that it wasn't  blowing a gale or chucking it down, very tranquil as I recall. Lost, but at least one of our lads hit a screamer! 

Mind you not as long a trip as the time we played Liverpool away in the 1/4 final of the FA County Youth Cup! Now that was a trip! Happy days. Hope all is well with you.

And Tommy what about  'London' at Hornchurch ( which is in Essex). Brave ol trip that was, 

Remember when we played Dorset away at Bridport Tom, we left Truro car park at 8am on the coach, got stuck in traffic and got there 1.20 for a 2pm kick off.  We then took the old white shirts and black shorts kit out of the bag and it was still soaking wet from the launderette that morning having just been washed from the game before that about 3 weeks before!! Ain’t seen you mad very often but you were jumping that day as Dorset ran out past us for their warm up in their all in one warm flashy Dorset FA tracksuits in the pissing down November rain!!! Still won 3-1 though!! Glad the boys are getting treated a bit better these days! We would still be there next game though, always chuffed to see your Cornwall letter drop through the letterbox Tom ?

Yeah I do remember that one...thankfully things have got more professional these days with those in charge at the CCFA really pulling out the stops to make our players feel like it's a massive honour to be selected. Whenever I liaised with Dave Bray over details he'd go out of his way to ensure that the players had the most enjoyable experience possible.

Very few players declined the opportunity to play and of those, most were under pressure from club managers to play for their club so essentially caught in the crossfire.

I loved pulling that shirt on though...couldn't beat that!