Cornwall Football Forum

Vets League Results 17th September

ST.AGNES BOLSTERS. (1)  3         O'Hagan 34(pen)  Turner 77'  Rapsey 86'

SALTASH UTD  (1)  1      Truscott 37(pen)

Cracking game of football in the Enys Parc sunshine this morning. Very competitive, rather physical, well refereed on the whole, and a really end to end game that really could have gone either way. Newcomers Saltash have assembled a very good side and I will be surprised if they lose hardly any games this season, if at all, would still make them hot favourites for the Div 2 title. On another day they could have made the long trip home with the points without doubt. The visitors dominated the first 20 minutes and home keeper Mark Norgate pulled off two great saves and Sids (my old Falmouth team mate Paul Sidey) struck a great shot against the inside of the post. Aggie started to come more into the game after the initial pummelling and had a couple of half chances with Danny O'Hagan crashing a header off the crossbar. The opening goal came from the hosts ten minutes before the break after a foul in the area gave DannyO the chance to smash home the penalty low to the keepers right. The lead only lasted 3 minutes when the Ashes were awarded a penalty, perhaps a little bit softer than ours when the big lad collapsed like a pack of cards but there was probably a bit of minimal contact so pen it was and Trucker smashed home the penalty to the keepers left, never in doubt for the ace finisher. The second half was the same as the first, end to end with two good sides going for it with a couple of yellow cards thrown in. Aggie joint managers Martin Kimmins and Steve James made a triple change on the hour throwing on Ronnie Sekawata in midfield, Rappo up front and Steve Kemp at the back for his first outing in 12 months. Not sure it changed the dynamic of the game with chances at either end but the hosts went back in front with about 15 to go when Dave Turner whipped In a corner kick from the left with his right foot and the tall keeper could only help the ball into the net via his fist. Saltash had a couple of great chances to equalise again but were punished with just a few minutes left on the clock when man of the match DannyO was fouled 25 yards from goal and Rappo curled the free kick over the wall and hit the underside of the bar and bounced down about a foot over the line. Referee Mr Rodney Campbell was perfectly positioned to give the goal which was confirmed after the game by the VAR system. (Ok it was only the wife filming it on her mobile but you could see it was well over the line) On twitter if you don't believe me! Glad I scored actually cos I played crap apart from that! Had the ball about 8 times and gave it away 6 of them!! In my defence I did a 12 hour night shift and had 45 minutes kip in my car behind the goal until the kids mini rugby woke me up dribbling!! Wasn't pretty! Things we do for half hours football eh!?! There was still time for Danny to strike a shot against the foot of the post as Aggie finished strongly. Decent crowd of about 42 I counted from the bench at the start of the second half. Man of the match DannyO, a right handful for any defence and never stops working, just shading it from Steve Bayley who was superb at centre half trying to keep the lively Trucker quiet, not an easy job!! Right off to watch Utd beat Everton 3-1 and catch a bit of kip before another 12 hour night Shift!!! Cheers gents ⚽️?

Great write up Rappo and a fair reflection of the match. We knew it was going to be tough down there. Very competitive match which  we made hard for ourselves sitting too deep and lost our shape at times.  But a thoroughly enjoyable match and a great free kick from Rappo donning the mighty Toon shirt just like Shearer!!

Danny O gave our defence a fair old battle. Pity Pughy was injured for this one cause he would have enjoyed that.

Your a good bunch of lads who will be tough to beat.

Good luck for the season

DOWNDERRY ROVERS  6 (3)  J Moynan 3, R Bilsborough, D Gilbert, K Buckley

FOXHOLE                         2 (1)  K Grainger, M Gilbert

Both teams had a few regulars missing. A couple of late goals gave the scoreline a one sided look and although Rovers were without doubt the better side, the Foxes came close on a few occasions hitting the woodwork four times, but that's how it goes sometimes.