Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL & FA Cup - Saturday 16th September 2017

FA CUP 2ND QUALIFYING ROUND
Bodmin Town   P-P   Bideford (new date - Wed 20th Sept, 7.45pm ko)  
Tavistock   1,  Frome Town    2

WALTER C PARSON CUP 1ST RD
Alphington     0,   Axminster Town     1
Appledore     1,   University of Exeter     6
Bude Town     0,   Teignmouth    5     
Dobwalls     1,   Newton Abbot Spurs     5
Galmpton & Roselands     5,   Liskeard Athletic     3
Godolphin Atlantic     3,   Wadebridge Town     2
Holsworthy     3,   St Martins     2
Ilfracombe Town     2,   Budleigh Salterton     2 (aet) Ilfracombe win 4-2 on pens
Ivybridge Town     3,   Bovey Tracey     0
Launceston     2,   Brixham     1 (aet)
Liverton United     3,   Elburton Villa     2
Ludgvan     2,   Mousehole     3
Penzance     2,   St Blazey     1
Plymstock United     3,   Plymouth Marjon     1
Sidmouth Town     3,   Crediton United     2
Sticker     0,   Porthleven     1
Stoke Gabriel     4,   Witheridge     3 (aet)
Torridgeside     3,   Honiton Town     0
Wendron United     2,   Camelford     4

PREMIER DIVISION
Cullompton Rangers   4,   Plymouth Argyle     3
Plymouth Parkway   5,   St Austell     1
Saltash United    7,   Exmouth Town     0

Informed this evening whilst washing down my scampi fries with a glass of house red at St.Blazey club that the manager is expected not to be in the dug out tomorrow afternoon for their cup fixture at Penzance. Opting to play in a golf competition instead. Surely not....?? Very tense atmosphere down there this evening...

1 hour ago, leedsunited said:

Informed this evening whilst washing down my scampi fries with a glass of house red at St.Blazey club that the manager is expected not to be in the dug out tomorrow afternoon for their cup fixture at Penzance. Opting to play in a golf competition instead. Surely not....?? Very tense atmosphere down there this evening...

Also as I was leaving putting on my new 'Tommy Hilfinger' jacket it was suggested St.Blazey played a un-registered player last weekend. Although they lost anyway so not as if they can lose any points for it! :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Bodmin v Bideford - OFF! Now Wednesday 

First of many I suspect. All those players with new "sponsored" boots won't want to get them damp this early in the season, and all those newly seeded areas of pitch will become instant divots with so little root to hold them in place. There's a fortune (if only in reputation) to be made by someone going on the prediction string and putting  in a column of postponed for all the usual suspects!

Congratulations to Porthleven, well deserved 1-0 winners v Sticker. Port could've been easy 2 up first half, even when Port went down to 10 men after second yellow in second half you would not have known, Sticker did not exploit the extra man and did not look like a CSWPL Premier side, good job they weren't playing Parkway, Tavistock or Argyle res.

Silver lining, no points dropped in the league, however got to improve to stay up me thinks.

Best wishes to Port in the next round.

Well done Cullompton, although I guess you were playing the apprentices since the first team had a league game. Handy points and goal difference over Stoke Gabriel come the end of the season. Not fair even if it's not your fault.

7 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

First of many I suspect. All those players with new "sponsored" boots won't want to get them damp this early in the season, and all those newly seeded areas of pitch will become instant divots with so little root to hold them in place. There's a fortune (if only in reputation) to be made by someone going on the prediction string and putting  in a column of postponed for all the usual suspects!

Well how wrong can you (I) be! Congratulations to all the ground staff who got all these games on despite the weather. Bodmin must have had freak weather conditions, that, or maybe another, better reason to postpone the game!

Wendron 2 v 4 Camelford

Took in a trip to Wendron FC today, battling the traffic at Treluswell (which meant two of Camelfords starting 11 arrived in time to run into the changing room, change and start, the ref delaying ko by 5 minutes). The facilities at Wendron always amaze and the pitch and new stand looked fantastic - always a very welcoming club, great club house and really friendly committee members. Camelford started fielding 8 players who were 19 and under, with three others on their bench - a centre back as a lone striker and a right back as a left wing ( due to planned absences).

Wendron made a lively start, as would be expected, however lacked a bit of composure in the final third and Camelford quickly grew into the game, taking total command after about 15/20 minutes, with Wendron dropping deeper and deeper. The skill levels and fitness levels of the Prem side showing more as the game went on. The deadlock was broken around 30 minutes in with an Ed Harrison goal, taking a slight deflection and was followed about 10 minutes later with an exquisite goal from Boxy who played a cross field ball from inside his own half, ran 30 yds to get on the return cross and then curdled the ball into the top corner from 20yds. The game was finished in the 44th minute when CB turned striker, George Harrison rounded the keeper and passed the ball into the net on 44 minutes.

Second half saw two different teams come out, Wendron were very brisk and moved the ball around well, with a slight change in formation, whilst Camelford appeared to spend the first 15 minutes still in the changing room. Wendron's endeavour was rewarded with a good goal, which could have given them some impetus, however Camelford calmly went up the other end and scored another within minutes. Final goal of the game went to Wendron with a bit of lapse defending and then slip, leaving the striker one on one with a good finish.

Considering that Camelford were missing their captain (and CB), striker and a starting midfielder they would be happy with the win, against a team in the top third of the West. The victory was probably more comfortable than 4-2 with lots of chances missed, however Wendron did have a goal ruled out for offside so they may feel it could have been closer.

Thought the referee today had a good game as well, always prepared to explain his decisions and clamped down on dissent from players, without resorting to cards..

Good summing up from ennis. The Stickey were very poor today and got deservedly beaten by a Port team who were sharper all over the pitch. Veteran striker Drummo missed a hat-trick of good chances before he got the winner about ten minutes from time. They even played most of the 2nd half with ten men but still looked the better side. Not the end of the world though with Bodmin waiting in the next round. Chance to give players some minutes and use the subs bench. Important to keep all the squad happy. One of those days and on to next week. Good luck to Port in the next round at Bodmin!! ?

6 minutes ago, Sticker Forever said:

Good summing up from ennis. The Stickey were very poor today and got deservedly beaten by a Port team who were sharper all over the pitch. Veteran striker Drummo missed a hat-trick of good chances before he got the winner about ten minutes from time. They even played most of the 2nd half with ten men but still looked the better side. Not the end of the world though with Bodmin waiting in the next round. Chance to give players some minutes and use the subs bench. Important to keep all the squad happy. One of those days and on to next week. Good luck to Port in the next round at Bodmin!! ?

I came to watch you guys today 'Sticker Forever' as our game against Bideford in the FA Cup was postponed. Was very impressed with the surface & facilities that all seemed to of developed really quickly. As for the game itself I agree with you, from where I was standing Sticker didn't seem to take the game by the scruff, happy to give all the lads a run out & avoid any silly tackles like they were keeping themselves for the proper games in the league? No one seemed to be disappointed afterwards, without sounding full of it, maybe it was because Bodmin were waiting in the next round. ( In a way I am delighted as I would much rather a trip to Porthleven than come over to play Sticker....I have a feeling you might of took that game more seriously!) 

But again congratulations on your fantastic little set up down there, looks great. 

11 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Wendron 2 v 4 Camelford

Took in a trip to Wendron FC today, battling the traffic at Treluswell (which meant two of Camelfords starting 11 arrived in time to run into the changing room, change and start, the ref delaying ko by 5 minutes). The facilities at Wendron always amaze and the pitch and new stand looked fantastic - always a very welcoming club, great club house and really friendly committee members. Camelford started fielding 8 players who were 19 and under, with three others on their bench - a centre back as a lone striker and a right back as a left wing ( due to planned absences).

Wendron made a lively start, as would be expected, however lacked a bit of composure in the final third and Camelford quickly grew into the game, taking total command after about 15/20 minutes, with Wendron dropping deeper and deeper. The skill levels and fitness levels of the Prem side showing more as the game went on. The deadlock was broken around 30 minutes in with an Ed Harrison goal, taking a slight deflection and was followed about 10 minutes later with an exquisite goal from Boxy who played a cross field ball from inside his own half, ran 30 yds to get on the return cross and then curdled the ball into the top corner from 20yds. The game was finished in the 44th minute when CB turned striker, George Harrison rounded the keeper and passed the ball into the net on 44 minutes.

Second half saw two different teams come out, Wendron were very brisk and moved the ball around well, with a slight change in formation, whilst Camelford appeared to spend the first 15 minutes still in the changing room. Wendron's endeavour was rewarded with a good goal, which could have given them some impetus, however Camelford calmly went up the other end and scored another within minutes. Final goal of the game went to Wendron with a bit of lapse defending and then slip, leaving the striker one on one with a good finish.

Considering that Camelford were missing their captain (and CB), striker and a starting midfielder they would be happy with the win, against a team in the top third of the West. The victory was probably more comfortable than 4-2 with lots of chances missed, however Wendron did have a goal ruled out for offside so they may feel it could have been closer.

Thought the referee today had a good game as well, always prepared to explain his decisions and clamped down on dissent from players, without resorting to cards..

Thanks for the write up. Missed the game myself. Heard we did well and missed a few chances ourselves - as well as the disallowed goal been debatable?

Glad the ref did well. He has just moved to Cornwall by all accounts, so it's good to have another man in black on board. 

Thanks for the kind comments re: the club. 

Best of luck in the next round and for the season. Reg always sets up well and with the youth and good mix of experience within the squad then they're always a match for anybody. 

16 minutes ago, number37 said:

So did St.Blazeys manager make the trip? For the record they are an amateur club so not 'acting' like one. 

Think with their history, tradition, & quality players/management they have had in previous seasons, the support expects a little bit more than they are receiving on the field. I should of thought he went as I can't see much Golf being played in yesterday's conditions!?

2 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Think with their history, tradition, & quality players/management they have had in previous seasons, the support expects a little bit more than they are receiving on the field. I should of thought he went as I can't see much Golf being played in yesterday's conditions!?

Of course he was there. You shouldn't listen to all the nonsense you hear. Yesterday we could have won 2 matches with the chances we had. Another penalty missed at 1v1. All the players and several supporters went down on the train yesterday. Good day as usual. We just can't get that run of results going. I really hope he turns it around and I'm confident he will. 

www.stblazeyafc.co.uk/fixture/penzance-v-st-blazey/

Click on the above for a pictures of yesterday's trip and match including the video of our penalty miss. Match report will be finished later tonight. 

21 hours ago, Sticker Forever said:

Think you will find its at Porthleven, good result for Porthleven Alan Carey has got them playing some nice football he had three players from the reserves in the squad two of which started so well done to them

14 hours ago, Hetty said:

Any reports from the Saltash Game ?  

Saturday 16th September 2017

v Exmouth Town(home) SWPL (Premier Division).

Line-up:Rickard,Heveran,Sargison,O'Brien,Menhenick,Barker,

Wilson,Farrant,Hughes,Young,Lewis(C).

Subs used:King for Sargison(51 mins),Leary for Menhenick

(64 mins) & Walton for Hughes(71 mins).

Unused subs:None.

Bookings:Menhenick(yellow).

Result:Ashes 7  Exmouth Town 0

Scorers:Hughes 2(2 & 33),O'Brien(5),Young(6),King(76),

Farrant(pen 86) & Heveran(89).

Referee:Alan Bassett

The Ashes were in charge right from the first whistle and

could have scored more than the seven they did get but for some last ditch defending and good goalkeeping from Joe Moore.

With just under 2 minutes on the clock a sweeping Ashes move with Danny Lewis playing the ball to Sam Farrant who played it back to Lewis who then set up Sam Hughes to score.Within 2 minutes it could have been 2 when Hughes broke away a lobbed the keeper only for a defender to clear off the line.From a Saltash corner the ball was not cleared and Callum O'Brien turned and scored from just inside the area.On 6 minutes it was 3-0 when the speedy Lewis Young outpaced the defence and sent in a low hard drive.The Ashes went further ahead on 33 minutes when Hughes got on the end of a well worked move.Exmouth had a good chance to pull a goal back 3 minutes before half-time when they were awarded a free-kick just outside the area.The kick beat the defensive wall but Ryan Rickard made a superb save diving to his right.

For the first 15 minutes of the second half play was even but the Ashes always looked to be able to score where Exmouth offered very little.With 14 minutes left the ball fell to substitute Tom king outside the area and his first time shot flew into the bottom corner of the goal.On 81 minutes Dave Barker hit the bar and 5 minutes after this Sam Farrant was pulled down in the area to give the Ashes a penalty.In the absence of Ryan Richards,Farrant took the spot kick himself and made no mistake.In the last minute of the match Henry Wilson played a through ball which Paul Heveran chased and caught and then shot and scored across the keeper from the right hand side.

On 16/09/2017 at 22:37, Sticker Forever said:

spot on this report along with ennis'. Decided to watch this game following Bodmin's postponement, Drummo missed plenty of chances but scored a cracking winner, Sticker didnt look themselves, probably due to it being a typical cup came vs a lower side. Fantastic facilities as usual, every Sticker representative was welcoming, a real credit to the club. Always is a joy to go to Sticker and watch their games, despite the below par performance on saturday. The refreshing thing was to hear Sticker supporters and players graciously accepting that Porthleven were the better side on the day rather than moan and complain about their own sides performance.

I wish all at Sticker & Porthleven the best for the season.

On 17/09/2017 at 13:13, Paul said:

Of course he was there. You shouldn't listen to all the nonsense you hear. Yesterday we could have won 2 matches with the chances we had. Another penalty missed at 1v1. All the players and several supporters went down on the train yesterday. Good day as usual. We just can't get that run of results going. I really hope he turns it around and I'm confident he will. 

www.stblazeyafc.co.uk/fixture/penzance-v-st-blazey/

Click on the above for a pictures of yesterday's trip and match including the video of our penalty miss. Match report will be finished later tonight. 

Any truth in Penzance playing an unrigestered player???

3 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Nowt to do with me any more!

Everyone makes mistakes - I remember I made one back in 1996 and the missus still regularly reminds me!

If someone has slipped up, I'm sure I'll get to know about it first on here.

The mistake could cost them the cup tie if what I've heard is right. It's all well and good having the management and players but with poor admin not being done correctly will only throw a spanner in the works

On 18/09/2017 at 19:36, bigbadbarry said:

The mistake could cost them the cup tie if what I've heard is right. It's all well and good having the management and players but with poor admin not being done correctly will only throw a spanner in the works

Perhaps you should give credit to the Penzance Secretary for being more aware than others of recent FA regulation changes concerning player registrations and transfers!