Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Wednesday 6th September 2017

36 minutes ago, paul pearce said:

Well I've just come back from Bodmin V Launceston. I was embarrassed to stand there and listen 2 the foul mouth manager continually shout, not speak expletives towards the officials. If any of you reading this are Bodmin supporters I hope you are embarrassed. Where are u now Leeds United

If I were a Bodmin supporter I'd be more concerned about the lack real good goal opportunities they created!

2 hours ago, paul pearce said:

Well I've just come back from Bodmin V Launceston. I was embarrassed to stand there and listen 2 the foul mouth manager continually shout, not speak expletives towards the officials. If any of you reading this are Bodmin supporters I hope you are embarrassed. Where are u now Leeds United

Gilberts behaviour is a total embarrassment!  Have often heard him call the officials embarrassing, but nobody is more embarrassing than him. Darren, if you don't know, it is spelt R E S P E C T. Quite simple really, but you don't even know the meaning, let alone spell it.

When will the CORNWALL FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION find the necessary to eradicate his despicable behaviour from Cornish football?

1 hour ago, Roy D said:

The swearing goes on at all levels, not something worth getting worked up over & letting it spoil your night.

Decent 3 points for Bodmin. 

But nowhere to the level of Gilbert

Leedsunited is very quiet, unlike Bodmin's Manager. Most SWPL Prem games have an assessor marking the match officials,  All to do with a shortage  Refs for supply leagues, lots of rapid promotions for young referees who have not built up experience. You cannot fast track people to meet FA targets. Haven't looked to see who referred this game but it should have been a team of 3 not just the referee. Therefore any criticism should be levelled at all 3.

Football can sometimes get very passionate, over heated maybe. Emotions run high. But in some cases in local football spectators have been assaulted by players, referees have been assaulted by players, so to moan about Gilby's language when other clubs have actually carried out physical abuse is nothing to worry about. You can watch a game at the Priory without that worry! :thumbsup::ninja:

You are right leedsunited, but that still doesn't justify Darrens foul mouth.  He is well known for it, a lot of people mention it on here, yet nothing ever gets done about it by match officils.  Are they afraid of the stigma surrounding Darren and the "big guns" of Bodmin Town?

Another manager for me who needs to be mentioned is Nick Marker at Ivybridge. I have been to see a few of their games this season and from the stand I can hear his abuse he fires at the officials.  Not covering himself in any glory either!

I would love to take my grandson to watch some games with me but feel I would be badly judged if I were to take a 5 year old to listen such awful language for 90 minutes.  Authorities need to look at this and matchday officials need to have the balls to stamp it out.

If a spectator at every ground made a complaint to the referee, he is obliged to put it in his report. If the local football authority refuse to act, they are in dereliction of their duties and then it can be referred to the FA. Respect I think it's called, in name only mind.

Do the foul mouthed people at some football grounds feel a sense of security because their expletives are accepted as a part of the present football scene, and they are unlikely to be taken to task ( which seems to be the case ) and so they can lose control of their foul mouths without recourse, or do the same people walk down the streets of their towns screaming abuse at all and sundry.
I don't think so, because they are too scared of being arrested for public disorder, which just goes to show where the blame is and what CAN be done by all of the people listed on this thread if they were so minded.
No doubt there is the '' if you don't like it stay away brigade '' but why is it supposed to be acceptable at a football ground but not in the road outside? any reason ?

Could I take my 4 year old daughter to a rugby match? Yes. To a raiders game? Ditto. To a swpl game? No because of foul mouthed yobs like Gilbert ( who personally threatened me whilst I was in a stand). Swearing at the ref should be an automatic yellow card. The game needs to look at the bigger picture. Verbal abuse is unacceptable. End of!!

13 minutes ago, mockey jackson said:

I'm not gilbys biggest fan but feel he does get singled on here. I would say over half the managers in this league swear at officials. Also heard in work this morning off a Saltash player Lewis russell is going bodmin? 

Agree......to single our Gilbert last night is nonsense.   The language used by both sets of players towards the officials last night was appalling.    Referees could eliminate this if they chose to (or indeed are instructed to).  But clearly there's no desire to from the powers that be.  

Clubs moan about low attendances, but if I had young children instead of teenagers, I wouldn't take them to local grassroots games, but (sadly) would be watching on TV or, hate to say it, Argyle....... the professional game wouldn't tolerate some of what was said last night, so why accept it at local level.

12 hours ago, El Nino said:

Fabulous performances all over the park from Parkway tonight. Hobbs rotates the squad, changes formation but the performances just keep getting better. Great side to watch.

Easy when you're paying players up to £200 a game. goes to show that you can buy a league!

Additionally, something needs to be done about Bodmin's foul mouthed management. Nothing new and I've seen it time and time again when we've made the trip to Priory Park. 

37 minutes ago, mockey jackson said:

I'm not gilbys biggest fan but feel he does get singled on here

Have to agree with that! Up to the referee to sort things.

9 minutes ago, Rob1978 said:

foul mouthed yobs

Better tell the lads in the stand last night who upset one of the supporters because of their regrettable language! 

13 minutes ago, Mr Poldark said:

Easy when you're paying players up to £200 a game. goes to show that you can buy a league

Nice to see a team going for promotion. Lots being said about Parkway's budget but if I recall River Allen and Rocky Neal were on £200+ a week a few years back at Bodmin, nothing was said about that

40 minutes ago, gingerninja said:

Nice to see a team going for promotion. Lots being said about Parkway's budget but if I recall River Allen and Rocky Neal were on £200+ a week a few years back at Bodmin, nothing was said about that

I'm sure it was!

I commend Parkway's ambition for promotion, but we've been here before with them. The amount it costs to run the team in the league above is substantial and last time around they voted against it. Are they 100% this time?

Parkway made it clear last season that their intension was to take promotion. This was not to be and again this season will take promotion if they are in the correct position at the end. As for large budgets etc , who really knows what the expenditure actually is at all clubs ?  Did Man City , Chelsea increase their budget to win the league ?  I think you will find they did.

Is that wrong ?   If it were the team you supported , you would say no it is not. Parkway have accumulated a higher standard of player this season compared with last season , with the end goal of getting promotion.

Lets see how it goes and then see what happens in the future.

All good as far as I'm concerned.

Cmon Parkway.

27 minutes ago, THE BALD ONE said:

Parkway made it clear last season that their intension was to take promotion. This was not to be and again this season will take promotion if they are in the correct position at the end. As for large budgets etc , who really knows what the expenditure actually is at all clubs ?  Did Man City , Chelsea increase their budget to win the league ?  I think you will find they did.

Is that wrong ?   If it were the team you supported , you would say no it is not. Parkway have accumulated a higher standard of player this season compared with last season , with the end goal of getting promotion.

Lets see how it goes and then see what happens in the future.

All good as far as I'm concerned.

Cmon Parkway.

Have to totally agree, paying players these figures, in order to pull together a good squad to gain promotion is the way it works. We all accept  it playing Argyle Reserves and can consider Parkway a bit the same - they have the budget and purpose to use it.

Where real frustration comes in from supporters of other clubs, on massively smaller budget, is where teams in this league pay out, aledgedly high sums for the sole purpose of winning / doing well the league.

There is a limited number of quality players (real standout, game winning players) at this level - smaller clubs cannot compete and you end up with some clubs struggling against teams who spend more for their bench than the other team pays on their starting 11. 

This is probably why many contributors 'love' to see some of these bigger spending clubs not doing so well. Spectators know when teams do well  because they play as a team, well coached with camaraderie - as opposed to quality players collecting a pay cheque, showing little respect for their opponents and leaving straight after they have collected their envelope  

1 hour ago, Bobjfh said:

Have to totally agree, paying players these figures, in order to pull together a good squad to gain promotion is the way it works. We all accept  it playing Argyle Reserves and can consider Parkway a bit the same - they have the budget and purpose to use it.

Where real frustration comes in from supporters of other clubs, on massively smaller budget, is where teams in this league pay out, aledgedly high sums for the sole purpose of winning / doing well the league.

There is a limited number of quality players (real standout, game winning players) at this level - smaller clubs cannot compete and you end up with some clubs struggling against teams who spend more for their bench than the other team pays on their starting 11. 

This is probably why many contributors 'love' to see some of these bigger spending clubs not doing so well. Spectators know when teams do well  because they play as a team, well coached with camaraderie - as opposed to quality players collecting a pay cheque, showing little respect for their opponents and leaving straight after they have collected their envelope  

Would argue that there is a lack of commitment, fitness, and drive to improve perhaps? In my opinion, there is plenty of talent in the league - it's developed players to go and play for Truro, Tiverton, Taunton etc. whilst even the mid-table teams in the SWPL have gone on to compete in the VASE and get through to later stages. Tavy is also a fine example of commitment and drive to achieve more. 

Granted, Parkway has the monopoly now with some of the very best, however, that doesn't mean that paying players the equivalent of what is nearly a living wage is the right thing to be doing when it's unheard of in the league above. 

I wonder how some of these would fare in the Trelawny and Duchy leagues with the new sin bin/Temp. Dismissal action. Maybe not applicable to managers but in the games I have witnessed there has been more respect and mature conversation had between officials and players or managers.  Both 'sides' (players/managers, officials) have seemed to improved clarity and reason without having to enforce the law too often. I hope it continues and may be an idea to roll out in higher leagues over the next few seasons. 

1 hour ago, leedsunited said:

But at least no one is 'physically' assaulted like at some places :thumbsup:

Slippery slope Leeds, there are those posting above who happily tolerate or even condone the verbal abuse (you included). It's only a small step to accepting physical abuse against officials other players and even spectators. Yes Rob 1974/AmberM, S.W.P.L. games are no longer a place to take your family, to the detriment of gates and clubs. I agree Wendron Official that sin bins when/if implemented at this level could make a difference, but only if the referees have the balls and the backup to impose them.

4 hours ago, Mr Poldark said:

Easy when you're paying players up to £200 a game. goes to show that you can buy a league!

Additionally, something needs to be done about Bodmin's foul mouthed management. Nothing new and I've seen it time and time again when we've made the trip to Priory Park. 

I've no idea about what they are paying and I guess you have no idea either...but when you are in the largest city, have the most fans through the gate, have the larger corporate sponsors on your doorstep then your budget is naturally bigger. 

1 hour ago, Mr Poldark said:

Would argue that there is a lack of commitment, fitness, and drive to improve perhaps? In my opinion, there is plenty of talent in the league - it's developed players to go and play for Truro, Tiverton, Taunton etc. whilst even the mid-table teams in the SWPL have gone on to compete in the VASE and get through to later stages. Tavy is also a fine example of commitment and drive to achieve more. 

Granted, Parkway has the monopoly now with some of the very best, however, that doesn't mean that paying players the equivalent of what is nearly a living wage is the right thing to be doing when it's unheard of in the league above. 

My argument would be that you're simply jealous of Parkway. There's nothing wrong, or illegal, with what they're doing. As said before, they are paying a higher budget to get to a better level and improve, what is the problem there? Last season they tried to go up by using a small budget which obviously didn't work. The money has to be paid for the players because there are other clubs in the league willing to pay the same amount for these players, with no intention of progressing through the levels. Wouldn't it be great if in a few years time Parkway are at a much higher level and running on a sustainable budget? Take a look at Billericay and you'll realise the plan for Parkway is only ambitious, and you've got to speculate to accumulate 

I take note both of the outrageous (living wage level) payments to P.P. players, and also the fact that promotion only comes to them that pay vast amounts. The truth of that is evident throughout much of the pyramid.

My conclusion is; let them get on with it, the sooner they clear off to the higher pastures the better. Shame we can't get shot of the Argyle Reserves by the same route and leave a level(ish) playing ground for those teams who have to live within their means.

48 minutes ago, gingerninja said:

My argument would be that you're simply jealous of Parkway. There's nothing wrong, or illegal, with what they're doing. As said before, they are paying a higher budget to get to a better level and improve, what is the problem there? Last season they tried to go up by using a small budget which obviously didn't work. The money has to be paid for the players because there are other clubs in the league willing to pay the same amount for these players, with no intention of progressing through the levels. Wouldn't it be great if in a few years time Parkway are at a much higher level and running on a sustainable budget? Take a look at Billericay and you'll realise the plan for Parkway is only ambitious, and you've got to speculate to accumulate 

Well then your argument is wrong.

I believe it sets a bad example. They tried throwing money at promotion previously and didn't take it. 

2 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

I take note both of the outrageous (living wage level) payments to P.P. players, and also the fact that promotion only comes to them that pay vast amounts. The truth of that is evident throughout much of the pyramid.

My conclusion is; let them get on with it, the sooner they clear off to the higher pastures the better. Shame we can't get shot of the Argyle Reserves by the same route and leave a level(ish) playing ground for those teams who have to live within their means.

And what evidence do you have that Parkway is not living within its means...be interested to hear.

3 minutes ago, Mr Poldark said:

Well then your argument is wrong.

I believe it sets a bad example. They tried throwing money at promotion previously and didn't take it. 

And if they take it this year will you be happy?

14 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Have you seen their level of sponsorship? They are living within other people's (companies) means. A level of external funding not available to most other teams!

That makes absolutely no sense at all....Sponsorship revenue is a totally legitimate form of revenue at every single level of football. Or do you think all football clubs live by gate receipts alone? What a ridiculous argument.

I wonder what would happen if all these footballers who get paid more than expenses ( i.e. Estimate of 7-10 pounds per game) were asked to give their national insurance numbers to the club secretaries ???? I think sales of underpants would shoot sky high !!! How many put this money on their Tax returns I wonder ??????

let's face it I think just about every club in the SW Premier League Pay at least £15 /game !! 

I darn't even begin to think about the amount of money clubs are bringing in each season and how much they declare ! If any ??? 

16 minutes ago, rocky170267 said:

I darn't even begin to think about the amount of money clubs are bringing in each season and how much they declare ! If any ??? 

16 minutes ago, rocky170267 said:

Another crazy statement...do you think the Corporate sponsors are paying cash? Every board at every club around the league will be invoiced and paid by bank transfer or cheque - legitimate business marketing spend. 

At every ground that Plymouth Argyle Reserves play at the attendance increases and this is surely good for that club and they do play lovely football that you can witness if you are at Mt Wise to see Newquay play them .People are just jealous of Plymouth Parkway they must be a fantstic team this season with the amount of goals they are scoring and they do have a fantastic team i thought Ryan Lane would of made the Plymouth 1st team but now hes at Parkway looking forward to seeing them play and that will be at Sticker not until November i think

2 hours ago, El Nino said:

That makes absolutely no sense at all....Sponsorship revenue is a totally legitimate form of revenue at every single level of football. Or do you think all football clubs live by gate receipts alone? What a ridiculous argument.

1 hour ago, El Nino said:

Another crazy statement...do you think the Corporate sponsors are paying cash? Every board at every club around the league will be invoiced and paid by bank transfer or cheque - legitimate business marketing spend. 

You El Niño are the rather naive one. Income is income and expenditure is expenditure and if paid to an individual is subject to tax and insurance. No matter by whom or what method it is paid, in cash or kind or indeed "expenses", H.M.R.C. will consider it a payment by the Club and it is the Club and sometimes the player who will be prosecuted, fined and have a considerable amount of back tax to repay.

Any number of professional and semiprofessional clubs have been placed into bankruptcy as a result of H.M.R.C. investigations and their outcome.

Do check this out with your accountant.