Cornwall Football Forum

Bolton Wanderers

So Wanderers were the first team to be promoted under a transfer embargo, and now have to survive under it as well. Hopefully our bunch of journeymen footballers can do it, but it's going to be very tough... Chasing the European dream under Big Sam Allardyce was superb, and going to places like Bayern Munich, and Atletico Madrid was quality. But struugling and being useless was where I started in 1985, so I guess I am more comfortable following an underdog.

I have always had a soft spot for The Wanderers and look out for there results every week. This would relate back to when my team Truro City signed a player named Vince Dillon from Bolton as a professional back in the 1950's. He ran a fish and chip shop in Truro for many years after his playing career finished. He was a regular drinker in the Casbah up until he died about 10 years ago, they errected a special plaque in his memory at the pub but I do not know if it is still there as the pub has changed hands several times since. Be interested to know if anyone else remembers him. Over to you Mike Odgers.

Good luck to Bolton for the coming season, another one of the fallen giants of English football.

Interesting story Ray

Vince Dillon

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vince Dillon
Personal information
Full name Vince Dillon
Date of birth 2 October 1923
Place of birth Manchester, England
Date of death September 2005 (aged 81)
Place of death Truro, England
Playing position Centre forward
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
1947–1952 Bolton Wanderers 17 (2)
1952–1953 Tranmere Rovers 33 (17)
1953– Truro City    
1955–56 Falmouth Town 29 (26)
Total   50 (19)
Teams managed
1953– Truro City
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.

Vince Dillon (2 October 1923 – September 2005) was an English footballer who played as centre forward for Bolton Wanderers, Tranmere Rovers and Truro City.[1] He went on to become player-manager at Truro.[2][3] He was player-coach at Falmouth Town for the 1955-56 season.

References

1. Heys, Mark (1 October 2005). "Longest Surviving Wanderer Dies". Walking Down the Manny Road. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
[hide]

On 8/2/2017 at 09:45, Rayvon said:

I have always had a soft spot for The Wanderers and look out for there results every week. This would relate back to when my team Truro City signed a player named Vince Dillon from Bolton as a professional back in the 1950's. He ran a fish and chip shop in Truro for many years after his playing career finished. He was a regular drinker in the Casbah up until he died about 10 years ago, they errected a special plaque in his memory at the pub but I do not know if it is still there as the pub has changed hands several times since. Be interested to know if anyone else remembers him. Over to you Mike Odgers.

Good luck to Bolton for the coming season, another one of the fallen giants of English football.

Will have to have a look when I next get that way for football or rugby...

I've always held a soft spot for Bolton since the days of Jay Jay Okocha. Just watching that man play was a pleasure to any fan. Was disappointed for a club of their size to be in League 1 last season but pleased they've bounced back. Let's hope they can keep safe from relegation and build on it for the following season