Cornwall Football Forum

Why Steve Massey joined Truro City in 1989

Post subject: Why Steve Massey Join Truro City (1989)
For those who don't know, I have been serialising the Life Story on Video of  Steve Massey in a blog that can be found on my sister website @lifestoriesonvideo.com   

Those who know him well will know that  at the end of his professional career in 1989, Steve and his wife moved down to Mullion and bought a caravan holiday park with their in-laws (Dragons' Den business woman, Debra Meaden and husband). In the second of two videos thus far, Steve talks about the reasons why he decided to join Truro City rather than the top club Falmouth Town. He shares some funny anecdotes about adapting to real work and playing in the South Western League after plying his trade with the likes of Bournemouth, Hull City, Northampton Town, Stockport County and Wrexham. 

Those of you who know your Cornish football onions will immediately recognise the mistake at the end of the film where Steve confuses two trophies - named after Aubrey Wilkes and Jack Hawke. Apologies there. My thanks to those of you who supplied me with images. 

I do believe that Steve made his first appearance on Cornish soil at Bickland Park 1978

Falmouth striker Joe Scott had just been snapped up by Bournemouth and the club made a courtesy PSF at Falmouth at the start of 1978-79 season.

Looking in the programme (Bournemouth lineup) I see a newly signed Steve  Massey from Stockport who will not forget that evening as he was taken to Treliske hospital after an injury against Falmouth.

Thats my opinion why he joined Truro later LOL