Cornwall Football Forum

17 hours ago, Richard Chown said:

Sorry just got back from riding around on my high horse. Neigh ?

I make no apologies for the team or the hard working committee behind the scenes for making what we have achieved possible. All working together to progress.

Nobody wants you to apologise? Nobody criticised the team or the committee. More virtue signalling Richard.

I simply pointed out that you were being a hypocrite and now you're getting defensive :thumbsup:

The only problem for me is the fact that it gets harder for clubs that cannot afford to pay to be competitive. All we can do is keep looking for young players and be creative on our recruitment. And for the record we only charge £2.50 subs which includes winter training plus warm up tops jackets tee shirts and tracksuits.but! no money because it is ploughed back into the club to try and progress.

12 hours ago, St Darren said:

What is the 5 year plan or whatever you wish to call it though Richard?

If you really interested Darren we are halfway through a 10 year plan.

Wrote on a post it note:

1) Stay in Trelawny Premier

2) Attract a Top Manager

3) Invest in Ground

4) Get Promoted from Trelawny Premier

5) Avoid Relegation from Combination League in first season 

6) Progress Res Team

7) Have fun and enjoy the football, maybe have a beer afterwards....

This thread was about payment to players and suddenly turned into a pop at carharracks success? 

Yes the tms lads went to carharrack but look at where they were... Tms were stuck at Malpas after losing their original home ground because of the council so the lads had to decide... Stick it out and see how long until they got their ground back and then rebuild and see how far they can go or go to an established club with a ground that didn't need too much work to progress through the leagues. It was a bit of a no brained for the lads in their mid 20s. Yes it's harsh on tms fc and left them in limbo but even a few years later the council are still not being much help to tms so it's not so much about the players leaving that's affected tms but the council. As for the lads going to carharrack they made their decision and for most of them it won't have been taken lightly but they did it and more than achieved what even they would have expected... Won the trelawny league and then the combo league... Something they wouldn't have been able to do had they stuck with tms unfortunately! 

As for what this thread relates to they've done this without having to pay players they've done it through great work in the background, great work from the management team with Popey and great work ethic and teamwork from the players themselves to stick together and create their own success... All done with no payments being dished out just through hard work

There shouldn't be anything bad said to carharrack or the players for this happening more like a well done for creating the success that they have had and keep it up... Also shows you can achieve success without having to pay players!! 

6 hours ago, feedtheshak said:

This thread was about payment to players and suddenly turned into a pop at carharracks success? 

Yes the tms lads went to carharrack but look at where they were... Tms were stuck at Malpas after losing their original home ground because of the council so the lads had to decide... Stick it out and see how long until they got their ground back and then rebuild and see how far they can go or go to an established club with a ground that didn't need too much work to progress through the leagues. It was a bit of a no brained for the lads in their mid 20s. Yes it's harsh on tms fc and left them in limbo but even a few years later the council are still not being much help to tms so it's not so much about the players leaving that's affected tms but the council. As for the lads going to carharrack they made their decision and for most of them it won't have been taken lightly but they did it and more than achieved what even they would have expected... Won the trelawny league and then the combo league... Something they wouldn't have been able to do had they stuck with tms unfortunately! 

As for what this thread relates to they've done this without having to pay players they've done it through great work in the background, great work from the management team with Popey and great work ethic and teamwork from the players themselves to stick together and create their own success... All done with no payments being dished out just through hard work

There shouldn't be anything bad said to carharrack or the players for this happening more like a well done for creating the success that they have had and keep it up... Also shows you can achieve success without having to pay players!! 

How do you know exactly no one has ever been paid?  With that loving comment you can now be caharracks number one cheerleader! 

22 minutes ago, stokefan1 said:

How do you know exactly no one has ever been paid?  With that loving comment you can now be caharracks number one cheerleader! 

Nobody at carharrack is being paid ? Just a group of mates winning plenty of games 

I shouldn't think there is one club in the Combo paying appearance money to any player on the gates they get. Maximum entrance fee is £2/£1, average gate is roughly 36. 

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/16attendances.htm

I don't know if any do a programme that will generate enough advertising cash. Advertising boards, a few at each ground, bar takings/profits minimal, club sponsor's money used to buy kit, etc.

Very few sugar daddies around at our level. Perhaps one or two players get petrol money for being a club taxi each week, but to say multiple players in a side earning £30-50 per game in a side, I can't see it.  

You'd be surprised how many idiots are around these days CTB. If people want to pay that's up to them, but at this level it's laughable.

As for Carharrack, can't say I've got anything against the club or the players, they proved they made the right decision to leave TMS. The thing that gets most people's backs up is the fact you didn't hear a peep from all the "die hard fans" when they stayed in Trelawney Premier due to them increasing the number of teams in that division, then all of a sudden they inherit a top side, start doing well then all these supporters come back out the woodwork. As for the team, enjoy playing them, good side, good football, and will be the team to beat again this year.

43 minutes ago, willy7 said:

Ryan Bull wouldn't leave St.Agnes for nothing! ;-) CTB  there are at least 3 team's paying money this season so there are still sugar daddies about or rich managers

He's been mates with the Carharrack lot for years Willy and isn't the only St Agnes player joining them this year 

On 16/07/2017 at 08:03, feedtheshak said:

This thread was about payment to players and suddenly turned into a pop at Richard Chown's hypocrisy? 

Fixed your post mate.

On 16/07/2017 at 18:12, ballsax said:

You'd be surprised how many idiots are around these days CTB. If people want to pay that's up to them, but at this level it's laughable.

This was a point I tried to make earlier when I referenced Exeter City and their fan scheme to fund a player each season. At which level does it suddenly become acceptable for people to pay other people to do something? 

Who are we to question someone's motives to spend their own money?

It makes as much sense as standing in Tesco and asking someone why they are buying Prawn and Mayo sandwiches. :) 

Money in combo ?  We have all heard the rumours and also have been given information by players who have received payments in kind , eg work or jobs,  holidays  or cars , it has gone on for years  I had a mate back in the 80s who was offered a £10 to play per game by a local club in West Cornwall .  Is it worth it ?   When an ex combo team Marazion fold before a ball has been kicked , who in their day had some quality players and state of the art at that time lights , is it not better to invest in the future like Redruth ?  We all moan about players not playing to there potential but when a club like Carharack get players coming to them there is a lot of digs about this ,  and lots of digs about their lino you don't win the league without being a good side , if those that have a pop at the linesman get on a course and show how much better you are and see what you have to put up with nearly every game  , with less armchair critics and more Lino's perhaps  some could take a backseat and enjoy their football on a Saturday afternoon instead of the usual  rubbish on here about being , a cheat , rubbish , biased ,  and these are the nicest things that get said to them .

1 hour ago, willy7 said:

No club's pay in combo, It's the well off manager's or sugar daddies that do!

As I pointed out earlier in this thread; those managers/sugar daddies are doing neither the clubs or players any favours. When the men from the revenue come calling (and they will) it is the clubs & players who will be hit with stinging penalties for failure to pay tax and insurance, even if the club (claims to) have no knowledge of said payments.

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

As I pointed out earlier in this thread; those managers/sugar daddies are doing neither the clubs or players any favours. When the men from the revenue come calling (and they will) it is the clubs & players who will be hit with stinging penalties for failure to pay tax and insurance, even if the club (claims to) have no knowledge of said payments.

Have they ever come calling? If someone is putting money in there hand surely it's hard to prove.

When the tax man calls ....he does not have to prove anything, only assume it ......he will win and the club will pay - not the players.

Tax has to be deducted at source (when being paid) it is the clubs duty to deduct tax, not the players.

If you choose to argue, ask what happens to the clubs that have (!)

You can claim they are expenses, but you will have to justify those expenses, and then they will ask for the tax from the difference.

Go on try it - you'll lose.

11 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

When the tax man calls ....he does not have to prove anything, only assume it ......he will win and the club will pay - not the players.

Tax has to be deducted at source (when being paid) it is the clubs duty to deduct tax, not the players.

If you choose to argue, ask what happens to the clubs that have (!)

You can claim they are expenses, but you will have to justify those expenses, and then they will ask for the tax from the difference.

Go on try it - you'll lose.

Everything Older says is true, with one exception, if the money the player receives from football puts him in a higher tax bracket when added to other income, he pays through the nose, big time! Expenses if paid have to be backed up by proof e.g.: mileage, make and fuel efficiency of vehicle, proof of sole use and necessity and then signed off on a weekly basis!

As older said: ask the Clubs who've been there, some (in Cornwall) to the tune of many, many thousands of pounds. I also agree with Dave, that it's high time that the C.C.F.A. Issued some guidance on these matters, they surely can't, like some on this forum, put their hands over their ears and shout it doesn't happen!

The Cornwall FA have told me this morning that if a club contacted them, they could find a way to offer them advice, there are experts at The FA who look at things like this, however it is not an area anyone directly at Bodmin HQ would feel comfortable offering advice in. However they would and could find someone who was though!

I can understand a club and its players having to account for everything, but how can a club be held responsible if they are not aware of what outside individuals might be giving to players?

2 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

The players definitely know, the manager should know (if he's got any kind of relationship with his players) and if the Club officers can't trust one or other to inform them then a] they've got problems, and b] they probably deserve what's coming.

No Bruegal, it will be the club that is held responsible for the higher tax payer as well.

Only if an individual is paying, and the club know nothing about it, then they may avoid the bill.....but will need a lot of luck and proof that ....that is so.

I believe some players are paid in advance for the season. I wonder if they have to pay it back if they want to transfer to another club.

One way of hanging on to players.

Would the goal bonus have to be declared?  Watching some players on a goal bonus, they seem to be a bit selfish in front of goal.

I doubt if HMRC will investigate the clubs. I discussed this with a friend of mine who used to work for HMRC and he said that almost 150 local tax offices are to be closed and 50,000 jobs are to go. He said that HMRC simply won't have the manpower to open up lots of investigations into individual small football clubs. He also said it would cost HMRC more to carry out the investigations than the underpaid tax they would recover. Apparently they now concentrate on investigations that are likely to yield a profit!!