Cornwall Football Forum

28 minutes ago, Jacob-Englefield said:

I can slightly understand why players are paid in the Combination League. But for players to be paid in the Trelawny League is just ridiculous.

Why should combo player's get paid. It's not that high a standard! There are a few clubs this season paying a lot more money than peninsula. It's crazy, they might then have a few successful year's then when the money man stops the team's start to struggle and end up worse off.

You can't blame the players if they're offered money but one can question why clubs feel the need to offer it in what is a recreational level of football. We end up with a host of players changing clubs each season who, when they retire, have no affinity or loyalty to any of them. Gone are the days when players join the committee after their playing days have finished. Paying players is not only taking hard earned money out of football but ripping the heart and soul out of clubs - all for the benefit of someones ego and short term success.

10 hours ago, The Boy said:

When I mentioned about assistant referees getting paid Stevieb said the linos do it to put something back into the clubs, shame the players don't follow the same example

According to the CCFA a combination league linesman (who is qualified) should be paid a massive £13 i believe.

6 hours ago, Mr Mo said:

According to the CCFA a combination league linesman (who is qualified) should be paid a massive £13 i believe.

Think you'll find that that is only for an officially appointed Assistant Referee which you're very unlikely to get other than for cup semi's or finals.  The only qualified assistants are qualified referee's as there is no official FA training for AR's.  The scheme run by the Combination League is an excellent idea to get those volunteers that run the line as 'Club Assistant Referee's a good idea of what they're supposed to be doing but I think you'll find that the course itself has no official FA standing.

21 hours ago, willy7 said:

Why should combo player's get paid. It's not that high a standard! There are a few clubs this season paying a lot more money than peninsula. It's crazy, they might then have a few successful year's then when the money man stops the team's start to struggle and end up worse off.

Not saying they should but this is the first level where I find it understandable that they are being paid. They may well struggle eventually, but that'll be their own fault. At the end of the day I suppose we can't stop them.

6 hours ago, willy7 said:

One player who play's at peninsula level being offered £50 a game to play combo with he hasn't a game, crazy!

Who pays the tax and national insurance, the Club or the player? Or is it just cash in hand and hope that the Inland Revenue won't notice and hit both parties with truly massive fines and penalties?

Let's get real!  I'm a chairman of a Combination League club that has just won the Combination League. Not a single penny spent. Just 100% effort by the manager and the players on the pitch.  Everything going back into improving the ground and progressing. Think about that. 

I would be incredibly shocked if any Combo club does, fools if they do.  In my opinion we are on a level playing field with every club in the Combo. I've been informed that is not the case in the league above. 

I can understand  that ambitious clubs in the Combination or ECPL with ambitions of getting into the SWPL would offer payments to players.

Anyone from any club has the right to come one here and say it doesn't happen at this club or that club but I KNOW that clubs at that level have paid money to some players in the past.

The circumstances in question were a SWPL player playing for a ECPL team when he didn't have a game

If someones paying players to pay in the Trelawney league then they really do have more money than sense

18 hours ago, Jacob-Englefield said:

Not saying they should but this is the first level where I find it understandable that they are being paid. They may well struggle eventually, but that'll be their own fault. At the end of the day I suppose we can't stop them.

Why is it understandable!? Why do players expect to get paid for pursuing their HOBBY? Clubs at SWPL level and below should not pay players.

38 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Used to be ....long time ago.

Just have a look around ....and work it out.

Remember being offered that deal a couple of times back in the 80s lol didn't take it missed the glory years ??so for those who preach No Money in Combo !! Wake up and smell the Coffee or should I say wonga lol ?

6 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

Why is it understandable!? Why do players expect to get paid for pursuing their HOBBY? Clubs at SWPL level and below should not pay players.

Players should never expect to get paid at all. Certainly not at this level we are talking about. But at the same time I can see why some clubs do, and it's totally down to them as to whether they choose to pay players or not.

But it's not the club Rich is it? It's individuals who for some reason feel that by buying players they have a better chance of winning something. No guarantee obviously.

The fact is that we will never really know as because it's not the club's, it doesn't go through their accounts.

I experienced the usual this week (not in the Combo, but same principle) - one manager tells me "there's no money at the club", while another manager tells me that so and so has left them for the first club I spoke to for £65!

Who can you believe? ?

And then of course "money" comes in all sorts of ways. Paying for a player's pair of boots could be one incentive.

At the end of the day we will just never know for sure!

1 hour ago, Richard Chown said:

My point is Willy, if a club has paid players what have they achieved.

Richard, what if a club completely transplants an entire squad of players (unpaid) from one club to themselves in order to be successful? What have they achieved? 

Pretty simple economics at work though with regard to the original point, supply and demand I think they call it. Something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it. 

Really what is being questioned here is someone's motivation to do something. Exeter City have a concept where a group of fans club together and donate money in order to finance the wages of a new player each season, why do those fans do that? Is their motivation any more valid than the same scenario at a local level? Why so?

3 hours ago, a little bit of a dinho said:

Richard, what if a club completely transplants an entire squad of players (unpaid) from one club to themselves in order to be successful? What have they achieved? 

Might be waiting a while for an answer there!

6 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

But it's not the club Rich is it? It's individuals who for some reason feel that by buying players they have a better chance of winning something. No guarantee obviously.

The fact is that we will never really know as because it's not the club's, it doesn't go through their accounts.

I experienced the usual this week (not in the Combo, but same principle) - one manager tells me "there's no money at the club", while another manager tells me that so and so has left them for the first club I spoke to for £65!

Who can you believe? ?

And then of course "money" comes in all sorts of ways. Paying for a player's pair of boots could be one incentive.

There's no way 'round it Dave, any money or other inducements (boots, pastys, drinks etc.) received by the players, from whatever source is assumed by the Inland Revenue to have been paid via the Club. Tax and National Insurance must therefore be paid or the fines and penalties imposed. This is not some hypothetical possibility. It has happened to a number of (mainly S.W.L./ S.W.P.L.) Clubs across the County. Pay your inducements/cash in hand at your peril. The authorities have already stated that this is an area of interest to them.

Makes a nice change for the authorities to encourage us to do what's right and not pay players for enjoying themselves and indulging in their hobby!

11 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Who can you believe? ?

Dave that's always the case isn't it, club's don't have the money. It's either the manager who got lot's of money or a very rich sugar daddy. One of the club's who are paying are a reserve team and another should know better because they have done it before and backfired in the end after a few successful season's. Like people who have said already it time for the taxman.;-)

What has happened to "Contract" players and "Non Contract" players ? be paid if you are good enough no matter what league you are in and if someone is stupid enough to pay it, just do it properly and declare any profits after all costs ie  boots, kit, travel etc are taken into account    

On 7/8/2017 at 13:18, a little bit of a dinho said:

Pretty simple economics at work though with regard to the original point, supply and demand I think they call it. Something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it. 

Really what is being questioned here is someone's motivation to do something. Exeter City have a concept where a group of fans club together and donate money in order to finance the wages of a new player each season, why do those fans do that? Is their motivation any more valid than the same scenario at a local level? Why so?

What've they achieved? ?

1 Trelawney league title

1 combination league cup 

1 evely cup

1 combination league title 

all with 0 incentives. Good on Carharrack, unfortunate for TMS

On 07/07/2017 at 11:35, Brianmooreshead said:

I can understand  that ambitious clubs in the Combination or ECPL with ambitions of getting into the SWPL would offer payments to players.

Anyone from any club has the right to come one here and say it doesn't happen at this club or that club but I KNOW that clubs at that level have paid money to some players in the past.

The circumstances in question were a SWPL player playing for a ECPL team when he didn't have a game

If someones paying players to pay in the Trelawney league then they really do have more money than sense

I play for torpoint and we have won the league the last three years in a row-we all PAY £5 a game to help the club. Goes towards washing the kit. Our linesman get paid for running the line for us-£15/20 I think. 

In my opinion players should only be getting paid if in the SWPL Prem. Div1 for away games if the miles are racking up then a bit of help with fuel-but the standard doesn't warrant payment for playing. 

17 minutes ago, COYG said:

No not really. Explain 'what did they achieve?' for me

I think the point he's trying to make is that the successful side wasn't created or constructed by that club in any way - They simply grabbed the players en bloc from another club rather than build a side " organically " ( As it seems to popularly termed these days )

I may be wrong though 

3 hours ago, Brianmooreshead said:

I think the point he's trying to make is that the successful side wasn't created or constructed by that club in any way - They simply grabbed the players en bloc from another club rather than build a side " organically " ( As it seems to popularly termed these days )

I may be wrong though 

Yeah I think Richard was getting on his high horse a bit by questioning the achievements of teams that pay, when transplanting an entire team to achieve success is equally short term and artificial. What I was questioning was Richard's pretentious stance on the matter of paying teams. I couldn't let the virtue signalling and hypocrisy of his post slide :) 

3 hours ago, COYG said:

No not really. Explain 'what did they achieve?' for me

So just to spell it out for you mate. I'm not literally questioning the achievements of Carharrack, they've done very well and nobody can take that away from them. They are fully entitled to bring in players and do as they please, it doesn't bother me.

But in simple terms I think his questioning of short-termism makes him a hypocrite. 

"People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

What is the 5 year plan or whatever you wish to call it though Richard?

what happens if the team decide to leave on mass to another club, not saying it's going to happen but it could. This is an issue that many clubs have when they are relying on the manager to bring a nucleus of players to the club rather then selling the club to the players. 

This goes for a lot of clubs not just carharrack

It's not worth the argument, Darren. Carharrack is a decent club & have achieved a lot, recently.  But I feel their reputation has been tarnished by importing a whole team & and having a win at all costs linesman, helping their cause. I fear they may have a major rebuilding period in the not too distant future.