Cornwall Football Forum

Very sad that a team of Bodmins stature cannot keep a Reserve team playing at ECPL standard. The reasons for the current Reserves leaving (and going to Wadebridge?) has been well discussed on the forum, but surely Bodmin could have looked to create a 'new' Reserve team?

14 minutes ago, sgowing4 said:

My opinion is obviously biased but surely if a promotion team folds, this should leave a promotion spot vacant and not affect those that finished in relegation places?

I think last year there was something similar-the league wanted it to go to 16 and it was proposed that 2 up 2 down and then 3rd and 4th would go up to make the 16....but was thrown out and both the bottom 2 were saved. I would imagine something similar will happen again. With Liskeard being saved. 

However if st teath decided to fold there maybe a chance of 3rd being offered a place. Few seasons back roach were offered promotion and turned it down only for callington to accept it and went up to prem finishing in 4th. 

Don't think that will happen this year, the league have stated that they didn't follow their rules correctly last year, so Looe should go up from 3rd, to maintain the 2 down,2 up rule. Only possible (unlikely) hurdle is if there were deemed to be too many teams in the Prem vs Div 1, and only Parkway went up to preserve an even number of teams, given that Bodmin finished second then withdrew? 

Surely that's Liskeard saved as it'll now be one promoted and one relegated. If the rules say top 2 promoted.....then that's parkway and Bodmin, if bodmin have folded, then that saves Liskeard. 

To WIN promotion you had be top 2. Precedence was set last season

We will wait and see. As I have said repeatedly on this forum.  If there are 16 teams in the top division then the bottom two go down.  15 tams and one goes down, 14 teams or less then no team should be relegated.  Its in the clubs hands to put forward any changes in the rules.  . 

9 hours ago, ECPL said:

We will wait and see. As I have said repeatedly on this forum.  If there are 16 teams in the top division then the bottom two go down.  15 tams and one goes down, 14 teams or less then no team should be relegated.  Its in the clubs hands to put forward any changes in the rules.  . 

I maybe wrong but the league this year was 16 until edgecumbe pulled out so do they class as one of the two to go?? 

If Bodmin have withdrawn now, there league record would be explunged and Looe would be 2nd and promoted.

If the League has finished then Bodmin have finished 2nd and would be a Premier League side next year.

Only next year would they be withdrawn, has they have fulfilled their fixtures this season.

Not sure this is correct but its the way I see it. ?

8 hours ago, Flabby Cabbie said:

So 15 teams in the Premier this Season so surely just 1 team relegated. As per previous ECPL message.

That's how I would view it as edge are the other 'relegated' side for pulling out. The question that you then have is how many to promote? Parkway and Bodmin up gives you the full 16, Bodmin pull out back to 15, but vospers want to join, back to 16. 

Then get news teams into div 1 and get them at the max and going forward have it a simple 2up 2 down. 

All fixtures for the season are completed.  Partkway and Bodmin are promoted.  Bodmin have given notice of withdrawal for next season.  Liskeard who finished 2nd from bottom should not be relegated.  If Bodmin had pulled out before the season had finished, Looe would be promoted along with Parkway and the bottom 2 teams in the Premier Division would be relegated.  Bodmin would still have to attend the any meetings and possibly the AGM because they are still a Member of the ECPL for the current.  It can get complicated, but we shall see at the AGM

Can't help yourself St John can you  :SM_carton:

This was sent out by the league to all clubs. 

EAST CORNWALL PREMIER LEAGUE 2017—2018.

Clarification.

At the last AGM we failed to follow the correct procedure regarding Promotion and Relegation, we mistakenly mixed up the promotion and Relegation between Divisions with relegation from the League.

Rule 12 (B) Automatic promotion and relegation shall be applied for the first two and last two teams in each Division except as provided for hereunder, subject to the provisions of Rule 2(B).

As I have already said.    If you want a rule change then clubs should present this at the EGM

10 minutes ago, ECPL said:

Clarification.

At the last AGM we failed to follow the correct procedure regarding Promotion and Relegation, we mistakenly mixed up the promotion and Relegation between Divisions with relegation from the League.

Rule 12 (B) Automatic promotion and relegation shall be applied for the first two and last two teams in each Division except as provided for hereunder, subject to the provisions of Rule 2(B).

As I have already said.    If you want a rule change then clubs should present this at the EGM

So that means Parkway & Looe come up, with St Teath & Liskeard going down?

Liskeard st teath down, parkway up. Vospers drop down gives the prem 15, div 1 gains st minver and Newquay and has 15 as well. 

They have promoted into the prem before from out of the top two, but suppose it depends if they want to run the league 16/14 or 15/15

3 minutes ago, The Boy said:

But surely if Bodmin who finished 2nd have pulled out, then Looe who finished 3rd would automatically step up to 2nd?

I'm not 100% sure on this but think they have pulled out as of next season. This season has finished and they finished second so are now a prem club. If they pulled out before they finished all the fixtures then Looe would have been second. 

13 hours ago, ECPL said:

Clarification.

LMFAO, what a circus!

You're making this far too easy :yahoo:

Come on St John, why not join the circus we could all do with a bit of a laugh.  Put yourself forward for a place on the committee, I'm sure you will be confident of getting the necessary votes.:yahoo:.   

19 hours ago, rob brown said:

Liskeard st teath down, parkway up. Vospers drop down gives the prem 15, div 1 gains st minver and Newquay and has 15 as well. 

They have promoted into the prem before from out of the top two, but suppose it depends if they want to run the league 16/14 or 15/15

I'm not 100% sure on this but think they have pulled out as of next season. This season has finished and they finished second so are now a prem club. If they pulled out before they finished all the fixtures then Looe would have been second. 

Which is what I said in my earlier post about the implications of Bodmin pulling out of the league.  Thursday will be interesting

Can't see any reason why Newquay should be allowed to enter the ecpl as St Stephen applied this season to come back into snr football ,finished runners up but have been told only one team can go up which is the same situation St Minver came up against last season,with St Stephen finishing 2nd,4th,2nd in the last 3 seasons plus winning the kmd cup,reaching the area final & 2 finals of the jnr cup in that time surely that is more deserving of promotion rather than just letting Newquay switch leagues 

I find it difficult to understand why the ECPL might wish to admit Newquay, bearing in mind their record of 1 point awarded from 36 games and a whole string of issues resulting in a total of 15 points deducted this season. Not a great CV!

17 minutes ago, 8 quid said:

Can't see any reason why Newquay should be allowed to enter the ecpl as St Stephen applied this season to come back into snr football ,finished runners up but have been told only one team can go up which is the same situation St Minver came up against last season,with St Stephen finishing 2nd,4th,2nd in the last 3 seasons plus winning the kmd cup,reaching the area final & 2 finals of the jnr cup in that time surely that is more deserving of promotion rather than just letting Newquay switch leagues 

Would seem to me like st Stephen warrent a spot. Lost form-dropped down and re built and on the way back up. Maybe Newquay should do the same. 

Think we had this last year though where the League can only take one side from duchy prem? 

I agree with the recent posts, Newquay should not be allowed into the league. The forum is full of moans about clubs not fulfilling fixtures and Newquay have struggled this year to put a team out. Also the idea of the leagues is allow promotion and relegation up and down through the divisions. Newquay finished bottom with 1 point so therefore they should drop down into the respected league below which is the trelawny league. The movement needs to go both ways and I can't think of any teams that have been promoted from the ECPL to the combination and from memory I think probus were refused entry last year. The objective should be to promote quality not just quantity.

Personally I'd rather 2 good divisions of 14/15 teams rather than 16 in each with teams dropping out or struggling during the season.

Not sure if I'm correct but I think St Stephen won't be permitted promotion by the duchy league. The agreement is one team up and St Minver will go. They would probably have to withdraw from the duchy league and apply to the ECPL for consideration, I don't think it would be the ECPL rejecting them. Plus the duchy league has not received a club from the ECPL so you can't blame them for not wanting to let the possibility of a handful going up when the ECPL is short and leave themselves open to the mercy of the ECPL each season. Maybe they could look at increasing to two up two down between the duchy and ECPL as this may act as further deterrent for clubs not fulfilling fixtures with the increased threat of relegation and loss of senior status. 

Newquay is an odd one partly as its unprecedented and no certain rule defines it but it seems to be allowed within the league structure. Surely the league could accept Newquay on the condition it is able to assure the other teams and committee at the AGM they are able to amass a squad enough to complete the season and the league should be looking after what we have seen this season to increase the fines to clubs not able to do so as this has been the main let down this season. 

Just suggestions but I can see this EGM being drawn out at this rate! 

On 2017-5-20 at 11:05, Dave Deacon said:

Why bother when in essence it was probably two separate teams within the one club?

My thoughts entirely Dave

In my humble opinion if a team is not good enough to win enough points to stay in the premier league and finish in the relegation positions they should go down.

Liskeard struggled to stay in the premier league in the previous season so their young team may benefit from playing in division 1 and gaining experience and confidence by winning a game or two.

Why do clubs clutch at straws when they clearly are not good enough at that level?

Looe should be promoted as next in line.

Having found the time to look at ECPL Rules, the deciding factor for Liskeard is when the 16th team withdrew because following on from the quoted Rule about automatic promotion/relegation, ECPL Rule 12 (B)(i) states:-

.(i)  Should one or more teams withdraw from any one Division after the fixtures have commenced an equal number of teams to those withdrawing in that Division shall not be automatically relegated.

So if the withdrawal happened after the first Premier League fixture of the season, Liskeard would not be relegated: if it was prior to that but after the AGM, they would be relegated. It's so much easier when the Rules cover all eventualities - decisions are made for you and cannot be challenged.

Also, ECPL Rule 12(b)(ii) states:

(ii) Vacancies occurring after the conclusion of the season may be filled in any of the following ways:

(a)      retention of otherwise relegated team(s)

(b)      additional promotion of the next ranked team(s) from the Division below

(c)      election

So the only decision to be made is between retaining the bottom team from Premier or promoting the 3rd placed team from Division 1.

I hope that makes things clearer for all interested parties.

2 hours ago, John Mead said:

Having found the time to look at ECPL Rules, the deciding factor for Liskeard is when the 16th team withdrew because following on from the quoted Rule about automatic promotion/relegation, ECPL Rule 12 (B)(i) states:-

.(i)  Should one or more teams withdraw from any one Division after the fixtures have commenced an equal number of teams to those withdrawing in that Division shall not be automatically relegated.

So if the withdrawal happened after the first Premier League fixture of the season, Liskeard would not be relegated: if it was prior to that but after the AGM, they would be relegated. It's so much easier when the Rules cover all eventualities - decisions are made for you and cannot be challenged.

Also, ECPL Rule 12(b)(ii) states:

(ii) Vacancies occurring after the conclusion of the season may be filled in any of the following ways:

(a)      retention of otherwise relegated team(s)

(b)      additional promotion of the next ranked team(s) from the Division below

(c)      election

So the only decision to be made is between retaining the bottom team from Premier or promoting the 3rd placed team from Division 1.

I hope that makes things clearer for all interested parties.

I think edge pulled out the league before the fixtures were made so that sends liskeard down. I just feel for them because even though they have struggled this year-they never failed to put a side out-drew a couple won a couple but almost took the beatings, where as launceston failed to forfill 4 matches for the same amount of points as liskeard but stayed up on goal difference (4x0-0 losses).....but I'm doing a bit of a ECPL here and sound like a stuck record repeating myself so that's the last I'll say on it ????

On 2017-5-20 at 18:02, ECPL said:

15 teams in the season just finished. So one team relegated. Or is this quote incorrect. 

8 hours ago, Pedro said:

My thoughts entirely Dave

In my humble opinion if a team is not good enough to win enough points to stay in the premier league and finish in the relegation positions they should go down.

Liskeard struggled to stay in the premier league in the previous season so their young team may benefit from playing in division 1 and gaining experience and confidence by winning a game or two.

Why do clubs clutch at straws when they clearly are not good enough at that level?

Looe should be promoted as next in line.

Hi Pedro, sorry to seem negative here but at what point did you assume that Liskeard are "Clutching at straws " to stay up ? where did you get that information from please??

MQx

In Liskeard's defence, they could have loaded up with "ringers" from their SWPL side in the last couple of games in order to stay up - to their credit (in my eyes) they chose not to. How many clubs with their resources would have done the same?! I can think of a few with less of a conscience