Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League - Saturday May 13 2017

Please feel free to post your postponement, result, goalscorers and post-match comments

PREMIER DIVISION
Camborne School of Mines    1-2    Pendeen Rovers
Penryn Athletic 3rds    1-2    St Buryan

DIVISION ONE
Halsetown    6-0   Mullion Reserves
Trispen   2-2    Lanner

DIVISION TWO
Wendron United 3rds      3-5    RNAS Culdrose Reserves

DIVISION THREE
Probus    2-0   Frogpool & Cusgarne Reserves
St Just Reserves    0-4    Four Lanes

DIVISION FOUR
Penzance Reserves    6-1    Newbridge Athletic
Ruan Minor    2-0    New Inn Titans
Stithians Reserves    2-1    Madron

Looking forward to our last game of the season, and it is arguably the toughest fixture of the season as well, an away trip to Probus, who need to secure 4 points in their remaining two games (with a goal difference of +5 to win the league). Undoubtedly, they will be going for the win, but we hope to cause an upset so that we can secure fifth place, end the season with a bang, and make some Newlyn boys very happy!

Tempo - you guys are always welcome at Probus and should be a good game for the neutral. I think Probus are more interested in promotion than winning the league - but will take both if it happens -   Newyln Lions are a very good team, as are the top 6 in that league  

Goal difference shouldn't have been an issue as Probus should have scored at least an extra four (4 not 5 as probus have scored more than Lions) last night against St Agnes 3rds - missed at least 8 or 9 good good chances, but I think they must be saving their finishing for tomorrow ?!?!

Only down side is weather, as chucking it down in Probus area and a lot more due in. 

Div 4

Penzance Reserves 6-1 Newbridge Athletic

We are sorry to see Newbridge close down, I won't say fold as they had a full squad today. Made a real game of it today holding Pz to 1-0 at the break but the enthusiasm of the Penzance youngsters plus a stern talking too at half time saw the game turn in favour of the home side who popped in five more at regular intervals. Pz swapped keepers and young Joe Gibson went in goal and scored from a keepers punt the ball bouncing twice and into the net. Newbridge got the final goal to please their supporters amongst a crowd of 38, their keeper having done a "Penzance" and swapped, took a direct free-kick from 20yds and scored.

Thanks for the games during the last two seasons and we hope their players find other clubs to play for.

On the Division front this win lifts Pz to 7th, mid-table and unless Stithians Reserves can beat Ruan Minor by 34 clear goals in their final game then that is their final position. Today Madron won at Stithians 1-2 and Ruan defeated New Inn 2-0 to finish 3rd.

Probus 2 Frogpool Reserves 0

We started playing against a strong wind and we struggled to get going and we kept giving away cheap free kicks. Frogpool looked dangerous from set pieces and from one their number 8 somehow put the ball wide when hitting the target from 8 yards out in the centre of the goal look much easier. We had a few chances - one with a header from an excellently delivered free kick and another couple of shots from 20 yards, but we didn't make the keeper work. 0-0 at half time.

We made a couple of changes at half time and we took the lead inside 3 minutes, when substitute Chris Shackley beat a couple of players out wide and delivered a good cross to Connor Rhodes who finished well. We continued to create chances but didn't take any and Frogpool looked dangerous on the break. Sam Jones in goal for us made one good save when the Frogpool centre forward beat the offside trap and I think the same player shot over when well placed inside the box. We needed the second goal and we eventually got it when Chris Shackley lobbed the keeper as he came out following a good through ball.

Overall I felt we deserved the win, but the first goal was crucial and luckily it was us who got it! This was a great result, seeing as we were without 4 of the starting 11 from the Cup Final and with the result it means we are promoted and we are guaranteed runners up spot, which is a great achievement in a very tough league. Our final league game is away at Lizard Argyle Reserves next Saturday. I thought the referee Tom Roper, had a good game, although Tempo seemed to disagree with a few of his decisions today!

2 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Div 4

Penzance Reserves 6-1 Newbridge Athletic

We are sorry to see Newbridge close down, I won't say fold as they had a full squad today. Made a real game of it today holding Pz to 1-0 at the break but the enthusiasm of the Penzance youngsters plus a stern talking too at half time saw the game turn in favour of the home side who popped in five more at regular intervals. Pz swapped keepers and young Joe Gibson went in goal and scored from a keepers punt the ball bouncing twice and into the net. Newbridge got the final goal to please their supporters amongst a crowd of 38, their keeper having done a "Penzance" and swapped, took a direct free-kick from 20yds and scored.

Thanks for the games during the last two seasons and we hope their players find other clubs to play for.

On the Division front this win lifts Pz to 7th, mid-table and unless Stithians Reserves can beat Ruan Minor by 34 clear goals in their final game then that is their final position. Today Madron won at Stithians 1-2 and Ruan defeated New Inn 2-0 to finish 3rd.

Thanks for the info CTB. Another season in Div 4 beckons but good to see young players coming through the ranks. Future of the club looks bright. 

Now been told that full-time is wrong and Stithians beat Madron 2-1. So they have to win by 32 clear goals to overtake Pz.

The future looks bright? What planet are you on! The gap between Penzance firsts and seconds can't get any bigger! Was down at Penzance the other week the place is falling apart. So sad to see a big town club struggling so badly.

1 hour ago, PzFan said:

Thanks for the info CTB. Another season in Div 4 beckons but good to see young players coming through the ranks. Future of the club looks bright. 

12 hours ago, Boss man said:

The future looks bright? What planet are you on! The gap between Penzance firsts and seconds can't get any bigger! Was down at Penzance the other week the place is falling apart. So sad to see a big town club struggling so badly.

Think the issue is there are so many teams already established in the Penzance area. Two Newlyn teams, two St Buryan teams, penwith exciles, Mousehole, Madron, Pendeen, Newlyn Lions, Ludgvan, Marazion, two Rosudgeon teams. It's always going to be hard with a new team to get players in. The average age of the team this season his been about 20. Teenagers playing their first season in men's football. There's obviously a big gap between the two teams. One is in Peninsula league and Reserves in Trelawny 4. 

19 hours ago, B_D said:

@Tempo doesn't mind giving the refs a bit of stick from time to time ??

Just passionate mate. When you see your player get booked for a clean tackle you're bound to be a bit unpleased, player out of pocket for winning the ball fairly.

6 minutes ago, Tempo said:

Just passionate mate. When you see your player get booked for a clean tackle you're bound to be a bit unpleased, player out of pocket for winning the ball fairly.

If this was your full back in the second half then nothing clean apart from the fact he got the ball after our lad jumped out of the way of a 2 footed lunge... It was dangerous end of. All the moaning started after the first goal and then even more after the second goal.... Probably more frustration at conceding in such a tight and well balanced game and then taking it out on decisions the ref has made.

11 minutes ago, feedtheshak said:

If this was your full back in the second half then nothing clean apart from the fact he got the ball after our lad jumped out of the way of a 2 footed lunge... It was dangerous end of. All the moaning started after the first goal and then even more after the second goal.... Probably more frustration at conceding in such a tight and well balanced game and then taking it out on decisions the ref has made.

Don't think we are talking about the same tackle. Wasn't frustrated mate, fair result and happy with how we played just disappointed we didn't take anything else out in the ref, bound to call for things. The yellow card just annoyed me because he doesn't deserve to be out of pocket for getting the ball. Gone now anyway, what's done is done. 

Good win for Pendeen yesterday. That's both of us level on games and points, with a home game against SOM to play. I guess if we both avoid defeat then that would see us finish in the promotion places, subject to passing the grading (which I have my own views about, but has to be done). 

I'd like to see teams from the Trelawney leagues that want to progress, be allowed to do so freely, and be promoted on merit, rather than if they have dugouts etc. Combo football over the last 20 years has declined to the point that there is talk of an amalgamation with the Trelawney league. Whether it happens or not remains to be seen, but I'd suggest that if that was a possibility, then is the term 'senior' football applicable? Therefore does there need to be so many rules and regulations to be accepted into the league? 

Like I said, it has to be done, and until anything changes, will continue to be a requirement for any other teams wishing to progress.

These are my own views, nothing to do with my club. 

@Tempo

I thought yesterday was an even game which could have gone either way and a good game to ref.

As for the yellow card I know you disagree but from where I was and how I saw it was that, your player went in for the challenge, did get the ball but as he did his foot slipped/went over the ball which he meant he caught the player with studs showing high up on his leg, that's why I gave the yellow.

Tom

2 hours ago, ballsax said:

I'd like to see teams from the Trelawney leagues that want to progress, be allowed to do so freely, and be promoted on merit, rather than if they have dugouts etc. Combo football over the last 20 years has declined to the point that there is talk of an amalgamation with the Trelawney league. Whether it happens or not remains to be seen, but I'd suggest that if that was a possibility, then is the term 'senior' football applicable? Therefore does there need to be so many rules and regulations to be accepted into the league? 

Like I said, it has to be done, and until anything changes, will continue to be a requirement for any other teams wishing to progress.

These are my own views, nothing to do with my club. 

Agree, but what is the criteria for grounds for those wanting to enter the combination league?

2 minutes ago, tomleft said:

@Tempo

I thought yesterday was an even game which could have gone either way and a good game to ref.

As for the yellow card I know you disagree but from where I was and how I saw it was that, your player went in for the challenge, did get the ball but as he did his foot slipped/went over the ball which he meant he caught the player with studs showing high up on his leg, that's why I gave the yellow.

Tom

Tom you do not have to come on here and explain anything. Tempo should know better than having a go at a fellow official on here about the decisions they have made, in fact, I may well report him for doing so!!!! Seems the only way to stop these officials contridicting themselves each week!

I'm not sure of all of them. Pitch has to be big enough (ours is small, but is big enough!). Pitch has to have a surround/roped off from spectators. Dugouts have to big enough to seat 8 (?), be a certain distance from the pitch and a certain distance apart. There are more, perhaps someone else could help out here?!

12 minutes ago, Sijames said:

Agree, but what is the criteria for grounds for those wanting to enter the combination league?

Tom you do not have to come on here and explain anything. Tempo should know better than having a go at a fellow official on here about the decisions they have made, in fact, I may well report him for doing so!!!! Seems the only way to stop these officials contridicting themselves each week!

Have a word mate, I didn't have a go at Tom. Merely one decision, feel free to report me bud if you've got nothing better to do. 

Penzance 6-1 Newbridge Athletic

Newbridge goal from Aaron Jones

The final ever game for Newbridge Athletic. Yes we lost to young Penzance side but enjoyed the game. Being our final game we played every player out of position and decided if we score we would celebrate in style. Before the game we picked numbers to choose our positions for the second half. One of our defenders Craig Phillis started in goal the first half and made some good saves to keep Penzance to just the one goal in the first half. Newbridge "forwards" were two players who hadnt scored all season our captain Dill Birch and myself newbridge goalkeeper and club captain. We had a few chances but came to nothing.

Second half we all changed positions one of our young lads went in goal myself and dill went to centre back. Penzance started the second half well and double their lead. After switching their goalkeeper he then found a third for the home team with a goal kick from his hands it bounced over the back line and bounced over our youngster in goal. We then switched our keeper again and Manager Matt Montgomery went between the sticks. He took a goal kick which fell straight to a penzance player and he chipped it over the top of him to make it four.

Newbridge had a couple of freekicks with Aaron coming closest but straight into the goalkeepers arms and the Penzance Captain picked up a yellow card for the 2nd from a cynical foul on the edge of the box, fortunaly for him our striker was going away from goal as it could quite easily have ben red. Penzance scored a further two goals one of which was offside at two occasions and with a 3 on one attack put thier six goal past Matt, but our lino fail to put the flag up properly and the ref gave the goal.

Newbridge had a final chance to get a goal. One of the penzance players fouled our player on the edge of the box and the ref played advantage only for the penzance player to catch me in the face with with the back of his head (accidently of course). The ref bought it back and gave the freekick even though Dill had fought he gave a penalty. The reffed told us it would be the final kick off the game. I stepped up to take the freekick, the goal keeper made his wall and i slammed the ball into the top right hand corner with the goal keeper moving behind his wall. We celebrated my first goal and Newbridge last goal as a club in style with bundles in the bottom corner. 

Thanks to the Penzance team for the food back in the pub you got some top lads there, im sure you will only build on what you have and to the Mousehole lad Tom for filming my first and last goal for Newbridge Athletic.

1 hour ago, ballsax said:

I'm not sure of all of them. Pitch has to be big enough (ours is small, but is big enough!). Pitch has to have a surround/roped off from spectators. Dugouts have to big enough to seat 8 (?), be a certain distance from the pitch and a certain distance apart. There are more, perhaps someone else could help out here?!

The only minimum pitch size in Combo is the one in FA Rules and that is the same as in the Trelwny League! You are correct about the size of the dugouts but there's no regulation about their position. The pitch needs to be roped off - if there are no other barriers - to keep spectators from encroaching onto the pitch.

As I've mentioned on here several times, there is no longer "Junior" or "Senior" status in Cornish football.

If there is any amalgamation between the two Leagues, it will not be because of any perceived drop in the standard of football in the Combination League. It would however mean that all teams play under a common set of rules, which should make promotion more straight forward. The reason for insisting on having a few extra minimum standards as teams progress is to improve facilities gradually as you move further up the ladder. 

If we are to attract people to play 11-a-side Saturday football, I feel that good facilities are a key component of doing that.

3 hours ago, tomleft said:

@Tempo

Tom

I was in the dug out on the opposite side to @Tempo and that is what I saw. The player did appear to slip when making the challenge. Irrelevant now really anyway but the only persons interpretation that matters is yours @tomleft!

@John Mead Thanks for the informative response John.

I think bringing the leagues in line wouldn't be a bad idea, like you said, all playing under one set of rules makes life a lot easier. 

One question, if there is no "senior" or "junior" in Cornwall, why is there Senior/Junior Cup, and why are the Combo clubs part of the Senior Cup?

Ballsax - from memory, everything below SWPL is classed as 'recreational' and not part of the FL pyramid system, other than providing feeder leagues (combo and ECPL In our case).

With regards to the Senior Cup and Junior Cup, these are cups run by the CCFA and it is them who decide which teams are eligible to play in either tournament - they decided that ECPL amd Combo are eligible along with SWPL - the names Senior and Junior are really just historic. If you look at Devon I think I am right in saying their equivalent to the senior cup is only for SWPL teams and above (Tiverton, Argyle, Exeter etc) - also it's only played midweek. All recreational teams play in another tournament - our equivalent of a cup for Combo / ECPL / Duchy and Trelawney.

14 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Ballsax - from memory, everything below SWPL is classed as 'recreational' and not part of the FL pyramid system, other than providing feeder leagues (combo and ECPL In our case).

With regards to the Senior Cup and Junior Cup, these are cups run by the CCFA and it is them who decide which teams are eligible to play in either tournament - they decided that ECPL amd Combo are eligible along with SWPL - the names Senior and Junior are really just historic. If you look at Devon I think I am right in saying their equivalent to the senior cup is only for SWPL teams and above (Tiverton, Argyle, Exeter etc) - also it's only played midweek. All recreational teams play in another tournament - our equivalent of a cup for Combo / ECPL / Duchy and Trelawney.

I believe Devon FA have a three tier County Cup set up - something which was given as an option to Cornish Clubs in a survey a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, the results were inconclusive so the status quo remains.

I think SWPL + top 10 Combo + top 10 Cornish teams in ECLP would make a more viable Senior Cup, with the remaining Combo & ECLP Clubs + top 2 divisions of Duchy and Trelawney playing in an Intermediate Cup; everyone else remaining in Junior Cup. Such an arrangement would give more teams a realistic chance of winning something rather than just making up the numbers and also allow more reserve teams to enter a County Cup.

On 14/05/2017 at 15:07, Tempo said:

On 14/05/2017 at 15:29, Tempo said:

Don't think we are talking about the same tackle. Wasn't frustrated mate, fair result and happy with how we played just disappointed we didn't take anything else out in the ref, bound to call for things. The yellow card just annoyed me because he doesn't deserve to be out of pocket for getting the ball. Gone now anyway, what's done is done. 

Getting the ball doesn't always mean that it isn't a foul/caution though. And if you feel that passionate it wasn't a card maybe you/the team/the club should pay the fine instead? Either way a few people it seems have noticed you having a few digs about decisions you don't agree with each week and have backed the referee in this instance.

1 hour ago, bighairydave said:

Getting the ball doesn't always mean that it isn't a foul/caution though. And if you feel that passionate it wasn't a card maybe you/the team/the club should pay the fine instead? Either way a few people it seems have noticed you having a few digs about decisions you don't agree with each week and have backed the referee in this instance.

I'm not going to shy away from giving my opinion, even if I perhaps should, that's not who I am. I know that getting the ball doesn't mean it isn't a foul, but I think if you kick the ball and then slip, it is harsh to give a foul let alone a yellow card, I understand Tom's logic though and that is fine, I have sent in my report as normal.

Yes i officiate myself when I'm not managing, but if someone wants to question one of my decisions that is fine. I have never said a bad word about a registered official, I've merely questioned a few decisions, and that's what football is all about. It would be naive to think that any referee even at the highest level gets every decision right, just like the players don't and the managers dont.

If you're a player, official, or manager you have to accept scrutiny for certain decisions, it's part of the game and is what makes football so good. I also appreciate Tom explaining his decision, even though he didn't need to. Good luck to him.

2 hours ago, Tempo said:

I'm not going to shy away from giving my opinion, even if I perhaps should, that's not who I am. I know that getting the ball doesn't mean it isn't a foul, but I think if you kick the ball and then slip, it is harsh to give a foul let alone a yellow card, I understand Tom's logic though and that is fine, I have sent in my report as normal.

Yes i officiate myself when I'm not managing, but if someone wants to question one of my decisions that is fine. I have never said a bad word about a registered official, I've merely questioned a few decisions, and that's what football is all about. It would be naive to think that any referee even at the highest level gets every decision right, just like the players don't and the managers dont.

If you're a player, official, or manager you have to accept scrutiny for certain decisions, it's part of the game and is what makes football so good. I also appreciate Tom explaining his decision, even though he didn't need to. Good luck to him.

Agree you can state your opinion. If somebody slips and commits an offence whether accidental or not, its still a foul, If reckless then a caution. A little harsh but still correct and shouldn't be questioned.

Yes maybe with passion during the game you may question decisions but I don't believe that coming on here questioning or doubting any decisions ever paints you in a good light. You might not care but can't then say something if somebody calls you up on it. 

On 2017-5-14 at 10:58, Simon2389 said:

Think the issue is there are so many teams already established in the Penzance area. Two Newlyn teams, two St Buryan teams, penwith exciles, Mousehole, Madron, Pendeen, Newlyn Lions, Ludgvan, Marazion, two Rosudgeon teams. It's always going to be hard with a new team to get players in. The average age of the team this season his been about 20. Teenagers playing their first season in men's football. There's obviously a big gap between the two teams. One is in Peninsula league and Reserves in Trelawny 4. 

Not so long ago Penzance had three men's teams , and there was several more clubs in and around the area , Marron two sides , Gulval two sides , Longrock Two sides , Penwith social club , Mousehole three teams , Ludgvan two sides so there was always lots of teams , the difference back then was players did not move around as much , the better players played for Penzance  it was the club to play for.l  had the pleasure to play a season in the 3rd team before it was disbanded we trained with the first team and were included in everything  even now can remember being lapped on the runs but nobody took the Mick and the coach encouraged you even if you were a limited player .

On 2017-5-14 at 15:07, Tempo said:

Tempo enjoy the break been a hard season for all clubs , we all get upset about descions but as you know the refs descions is final , the difference in todays game is we have social media and our own forum to express how we feel , still haven't caught up with you this season but who knows next season ?  Keep up your enthusiasm for local football and your club , perhaps next season refs players,  supporters , managers will all make the right decisions and none of us will have nothing to discuss bar the game that brings happiness but also can kick you in the sphericals all in the same match.:smiley20:

10 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Agree you can state your opinion. If somebody slips and commits an offence whether accidental or not, its still a foul, If reckless then a caution. A little harsh but still correct and shouldn't be questioned.

Yes maybe with passion during the game you may question decisions but I don't believe that coming on here questioning or doubting any decisions ever paints you in a good light. You might not care but can't then say something if somebody calls you up on it. 

It's almost like we shouldn't have a forum to discuss things that happen in football matches. I only responded on here because someone else brought it up. I see nothing wrong with questioning one moment in a football match. Are we not all being perhaps a touch over sensitive?

9 hours ago, stevieb said:

Tempo enjoy the break been a hard season for all clubs , we all get upset about descions but as you know the refs descions is final , the difference in todays game is we have social media and our own forum to express how we feel , still haven't caught up with you this season but who knows next season ?  Keep up your enthusiasm for local football and your club , perhaps next season refs players,  supporters , managers will all make the right decisions and none of us will have nothing to discuss bar the game that brings happiness but also can kick you in the sphericals all in the same match.:smiley20:

Like I said, I understand Tom's decision. And to be honest the whole thing has been blown out of proportion at this point. If I had it my way we wouldn't have a break mate, I'm ready and keen to go again!

I know right, a forum to discuss football... it's really surprising when people come on here and then discuss things that happen at the football ?

We'll up next season mate. As a manager, referee, player and supporter, I undoubtedly will get every single decision right and no one will write about it on the forum. ?

Can't quite believe how this thread has developed.

Are we really going to have persons coming on here threatening to report a manager for an opinion that wasn't in any way inappropriate?

The actual game was fairly uneventful with hardly any contentious decisions, just people with differing opinions because of how they saw it. 

The ref had a good game in my opinion, Yes he may of made one or two incorrect decisions but in comparison to the dozens of incorrect decisions the players made (mostly me) during the game, I think he'll progress well up the officiating ladder.

Well done Tomleft, keep up the good work and all the best to Tempo and Frogpool for next season ?

Just now, Pete Davey said:

Can't quite believe how this thread has developed.

Are we really going to have persons coming on here threatening to report a manager for an opinion that wasn't in any way inappropriate?

The actual game was fairly uneventful with hardly any contentious decisions, just people with differing opinions because of how they saw it. 

The ref had a good game in my opinion, Yes he may of made one or two incorrect decisions but in comparison to the dozens of incorrect decisions the players made (mostly me) during the game, I think he'll progress well up the officiating ladder.

Well done Tomleft, keep up the good work and all the best to Tempo and Frogpool for next season ?

Couldn't agree more mate. I probably shouldn't have bothered replying to some of the comments to be fair.

Good luck for next year, Division 2 is tough but after how hard our division has been this year I have no doubt that you will be able to handle it. Thanks for the hospitality and the incredible pitch, groundsman deserves some credit. See you around and good luck in the future.

1 hour ago, Tempo said:

Couldn't agree more mate. I probably shouldn't have bothered replying to some of the comments to be fair.

Good luck for next year, Division 2 is tough but after how hard our division has been this year I have no doubt that you will be able to handle it. Thanks for the hospitality and the incredible pitch, groundsman deserves some credit. See you around and good luck in the future.

You say a referee did well and people will kick off you're commenting about a ref. Get over yourselves and man up