Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City in the gutter.

Yes we all have our favourite players, they tend to be those who stand out week in week out, others do their best but sometimes their best isn't good enough, results demonstrate DRASTIC changes need to be made but there is a right way to do that and there is a wrong way, that wrong way has been evident ALL SEASON LONG, lack of man management, failure to motivate, there has been no passion from the bench by ANYONE.

A lot is written about reaching the play offs last season but that team ground out results mainly relying on unattractive defence but it got us points, that was a basis to be built on but instead it was destroyed, Steve Tully had done the main thing football needs that good defensive unit, the next stage never occurred because Steve Tully was shown the door a massive mistake, what followed was a joke I would fall asleep adding up the number of players used this season, a bit like counting sheep I have seen the 30 figure mentioned and unbelievably nearer the mark 40, NO CHANCE TO BUILD TEAM UNDERSTANDING.

Truro City's team appears to be run like a Sunday school team, speak up or argue and you become an outcast, most winning teams evolve from conflict within, I found that if you got under one of your players skin they would go through hell to prove you wrong and put in a performance of a lifetime but it has to be done in private not in public like the incident with Aaran Pugh a couple of weeks ago.

Now Les Afful and Ben Adelsbury have gone.

CHANGES ARE NEEDED BUT THEY HAVE TO BE THE RIGHT SORT OF CHANGES.

59 minutes ago, somersetspur said:

Arran Bentley leaves as well.

Dave Deacon ,we get some one into the Club that know what they are doing.

I have had enough.

You have been moaning all season that the squad wasn't good enough and that it was done on the cheap but then when the club get rid of half a dozen, you moan about that as well. So which ones would you have gotten rid of? From what I have seen Mchale, Richards, Cooke, Harvey and Neal have been the best players and it looks like they have all been offered new deals. Why don't you wait and see you the club signs.

This is just the start, bigger and worse things will happen over the summer.  You can't blame the boys for leaving. The saga of Silverbow which is now dead in the water.  Not knowing where the team will be playing next season (Truro or Bodmin) The use of so many loan players, how can a team bond.? :SM_carton:

I will be surprised if we kick off in the same league next season, the club must be struggling and losing money every week considering the low attendance I do recall the chairman saying we needed at least 500 to break even. 

Instead of making progress it seems that the owners are hell bent in bringing the club down. Steve Tully got the team to the playoffs, so what do the club do but sack him. :angry2:

8 hours ago, HTFC said:

You have been moaning all season that the squad wasn't good enough and that it was done on the cheap but then when the club get rid of half a dozen, you moan about that as well. So which ones would you have gotten rid of? From what I have seen Mchale, Richards, Cooke, Harvey and Neal have been the best players and it looks like they have all been offered new deals. Why don't you wait and see you the club signs.

Im afraid you are talking rubbish without to much info with what is really going on.

The manager lost the changing room a while ago.FACT.

So what do the Club do.? Keep the manager,and release quality players.

What would I like . A new manager.

I would not let Pugh,Brett ,Knowles,Bentley or Allen go.

Little Les probably,because he is reaching the twilight of his career, and I would'nt have kept Ben Adlesbury.Add to that all the loans returning,you still would'nt be left with a big squad.

Those players you say have been offered contracts,dont think they will all sign.

The powers to be have completely dis mantled a play-off squad and management structure in less than 12 month's.

WHY.????????????????????????

2 minutes ago, Goldeneye said:

Perhaps the players going wanted to leave. Anyway if costs have to be cut then so be it. Football Fans all over the country are great at spending other peoples money and expecting their clubs to be subsidised.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

3 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

Perhaps the players going wanted to leave. Anyway if costs have to be cut then so be it. Football Fans all over the country are great at spending other peoples money and expecting their clubs to be subsidised.

Unfortunately so are some clubs owners.  Ours were all to keen to spend Helical's money, but sadly not so keen to spend their own.

15 minutes ago, Never-Pay-Never said:

Unfortunately so are some clubs owners.  Ours were all to keen to spend Helical's money, but sadly not so keen to spend their own.

Very true.

There seems to be a distinct change of direction by the Club,since the Helical Bar money,stopped.

From the outside looking in, it seems as if costs re players are being driven down. Would be great if Truro had a squad of Cornish based players capable of competing at National League level. Somehow I do not think that is realistic given the current circumstances. Would be nice to be proved wrong though! 

24 minutes ago, PzFan said:

From the outside looking in, it seems as if costs re players are being driven down. Would be great if Truro had a squad of Cornish based players capable of competing at National League level. Somehow I do not think that is realistic given the current circumstances. Would be nice to be proved wrong though! 

It was tried a few season's ago ,in the early days of Masters reign.

Steve Massey was the manager.

Did'nt work,and of course,Masters got rid of Steve.

As Mr Macawber said: "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds and sixpence result misery"

A more recent well known saying is: 'You can make a small fortune out of football, but only if you invest a large one'

2 Players should Truro sign are the Landicombe Lads Levi and Mike from Tiverton they are both class and Levi and Rocky Neale upfront that would be a great partnership I saw Truro a couple of times and didnt think River Allen was up to it in that league and he writing was on the cards earlier in season when Aaron Pugh refused to travel but he is a very good player .Truro did need to sort the team out  they have had a  awful season and  you got to blame the players and manager and not Pete Masters all the time give the bloke a pat on the back hes made sundays a lot better now by bringing back the Sunday Independant

Rocky Neal and Cody Cooke have done brilliantly to step up to that level. I suspect that there are other similar talents with the ability in the local leagues who could make the step up. 

Don't blame them for staying put given the uncertainty around TCFC at present. The recent youth County cup final suggests that the talent is out there. 

18 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

2 Players should Truro sign are the Landicombe Lads Levi and Mike from Tiverton they are both class and Levi and Rocky Neale upfront that would be a great partnership I saw Truro a couple of times and didnt think River Allen was up to it in that league and he writing was on the cards earlier in season when Aaron Pugh refused to travel but he is a very good player .Truro did need to sort the team out  they have had a  awful season and  you got to blame the players and manager and not Pete Masters all the time give the bloke a pat on the back hes made sundays a lot better now by bringing back the Sunday Independant

18 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

I have seen Tiverton a few times this year and I think they would have done better than Truro in the league. They have some quality players consisting of youth and experience just look how they destroyed Salisbury even though their budget was no where near what Claridge was having to fork out a week. They go up this year so will only be one league below Truro, a long way off I know but it wouldn't surprise me if they made the playoffs with exactly the same side every player is quality.

6 hours ago, Touch line pro said:

I have seen Tiverton a few times this year and I think they would have done better than Truro in the league. They have some quality players consisting of youth and experience just look how they destroyed Salisbury even though their budget was no where near what Claridge was having to fork out a week. They go up this year so will only be one league below Truro, a long way off I know but it wouldn't surprise me if they made the playoffs with exactly the same side every player is quality.

Thats the whole point.

Truro City under Tully had an ideal oppurtunity after the play-off defeat,to add a couple of quality signing's and really have a go at promotion this season.

But instead the Chairman,decided to get rid of Steve Tully and dismantle the squad.

Thats why we are,where we are.

Dave Deacon,do you really think new signings will be better.I have heard some names being branded about,and they are not.

Next season wont be much different,than last.

7 minutes ago, somersetspur said:

Dave Deacon,do you really think new signings will be better.I have heard some names being branded about,and they are not.

That's what I mean by the surprise element. We had to get rid of some of the players as by the final league table position, they weren't good enough.

As to whether the right ones are going or staying is more for you to say as I probably only saw about six games in all and therefore difficult for me to pass judgement.

Whether new signings can improve on the ones going, is pretty much down to money talking I guess. You'll need to ask the club whether there is any money to attract more and better players!

1 minute ago, Dave Deacon said:

That's what I mean by the surprise element. We had to get rid of some of the players as by the final league table position, they weren't good enough.

As to whether the right ones are going or staying is more for you to say as I probably only saw about six games in all and therefore difficult for me to pass judgement.

Whether new signings can improve on the ones going, is pretty much down to money talking I guess. You'll need to ask the club whether there is any money to attract more and better players!

I disagree.

The players released are good enough.

They reached the Play-offs last season,and did you see the performances against Forest Green in the F.A.Trophy.

All you need is the right manager.

With no official news (or perhaps I've missed it) is below pretty much the current position. I'm not sure of who the loanees might have been.

Truro's last game this season

McHale

Bentley - Gone

Richards

Booth

Pugh - Gone

Adelsbury - Gone

Brett - Gone

Cooke

Neal

Harvey

Thompson

Subs:

Knowles - Gone

Yetton

Afful - Gone?

Hartridge

Smith

Others:

Allen

Rice - Gone

Todd

Booth,Harvey,Yetton,Hartridge and Smith,were all on loan until the end of the season.

I have heard contracts have been offered to McHale,Richards,Harvey,Thompson and Neal.No one has signed.

Names of other players rumoured to be offered contracts,Tyler Harvey, Jordan, Copp,Stewart Yetton,Aaron Dawson,Ben Gerring,and even Andy Watkins name has been mentioned ,which I find hard to believe.

Nothing there ,which make me think ,next season will be different.

8 hours ago, MOUNTAINEER said:

Mr Deacon,  Dave what about Fletcher Williams an 18 year old promising midfield player who recently joined the club. Does anyone know anything about him?

Bit of a mystery isn't he! Signed but no appearances! Link for him on the TCFC website, but nothing showing about him! Their website editor is going to have a busy summer with all the changes!

21 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Bit of a mystery isn't he! Signed but no appearances! Link for him on the TCFC website, but nothing showing about him! Their website editor is going to have a busy summer with all the changes!

Agree with that Dave! 

With regards to Fletcher Williams, he came on as sub in pre season against Argyle. Not sure about any other games. Found the match details on Argyle website. 

The club now confirm via their website:-

"AFTER a difficult National League South campaign, Truro City Manager, Lee Hodges, and Assistant Manager, Chris Todd, are now looking forward to the 2017-18 season. That means bringing in new blood and, inevitably, saying farewell to some of the existing squad. Truro City is therefore announcing that the following players will not be offered new contracts:

Ben Adelsbury, Les Afful, Aaron Bentley, Ryan Brett, Ollie Knowles, Arran Pugh and Martin Rice.

Truro City would like to thank all the players for their contribution to the club and wish them well for the future. The club would particularly like to acknowledge the contributions of the four longest serving players. Les Afful (342 appearances), Arran Pugh (286), Martin Rice (186) and Ryan Brett (112) have all played a big part in Truro City’s success over the last few years and will have a permanent place in the annals of the club.

It’s always sad to see players departing, but it’s essential for the club to be constantly moving forward. We have to acknowledge that last season’s performances were not of the standard that we and the supporters expect. While Lee was not short of financial resources, it took a while for him to settle back in to his role and the management team overall did not take the required shape until Chris Todd arrived as assistant.

On the pitch, the team scored fewer goals this year than last, but the major issues were at the back where we conceded an average of almost two and-a-half goals per match and lost far too many points from winning positions.

Changes in the playing staff are therefore essential and Lee and Chris will be rebuilding over the close season. Discussions are currently under way with nine members of last season’s squad and a number of potential new players have been identified.

While the season that has just ended was a tough one, it’s worth pausing to reflect on the fact that 2017-18 marks a club record as it will be Truro City’s third season playing in the second-tier of non-League football. A measure of this achievement is that Corby Town, promoted from the Southern Premier League alongside Truro City in 2015, has suffered back-to-back relegations since then. Nobody should underestimate the challenges of competing at this level of football. Nevertheless, the resources are in place for Truro City to enjoy a successful season commencing at Treyew Road and all efforts will be focused in that direction.

We will keep supporters updated with progress on the squad in the coming weeks and, of course, details of pre-season friendlies as they are confirmed."

I have read this statement,and its amazing how people can turn a disastrous season,into celebration.

Telling us TCFC will create history playing in Conference South for a third season,and then giving us Corby's history.UNBELIEVABLE.

What stunned me is the amount of appearences these players have achieved at TCFC,and for them to be tossed aside is staggering.

They have been top players for two plus season's,but now this manager,tells us ,they are not.

We have gone from a top team in this League with a good management team,to a completely inferior new squad and management team,fighting relegation.

We all know why.DELIVERENCE MY A££.

Another youngster who was involved pre season,but never got a shout. CHARLIE HARDCASTLE.

Went to Bodmin and had a good season.

What about JACK CRAGO,who also never got a shout,was told he is to lightweight for this league.

Went back to Tavistock,and see what happened.

Dont think we will see to many local players.More likely youth players from the usual sources.

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

While Lee was not short of financial resources, it took a while for him to settle back in to his role and the management team overall did not take the required shape until Chris Todd arrived as assistant.

Bit of a dig at the manager this seems

I find it hard to understand, a team that reaches the playoffs 12 months ago and now news coming out shocking. 

Any new player of quality will be hard to sign, 3 years with threat of evection and no ground.

A chairman that promises the world and delivers crumbs. (But of course he saved Truro I think that train has truly left the station !!!!)

I honestly think we will be playing at Bodmin (No smoke without Fire) also 2-3 leagues down 

To Pzfan: many, including me, believe there is the talent in Cornwall to play at National South level but you will never overcome the problem caused by where Cornwall is geographically. Many suitably talented players either cannot (due to domestic or work commitments) or simply can't be Arsenalled  to devote all that time to travelling. Concord away on a Tuesday night? (because the league don't seem to take travelling times into account). As another poster pointed out, it was tried but didn't work back along by Steve Massey. I'm sorry to see Les go: although sometimes frustrating, he also has the ability to put in a decent shift.

6 minutes ago, Tom Trust said:

To Pzfan: many, including me, believe there is the talent in Cornwall to play at National South level but you will never overcome the problem caused by where Cornwall is geographically. Many suitably talented players either cannot (due to domestic or work commitments) or simply can't be Arsenalled  to devote all that time to travelling. Concord away on a Tuesday night? (because the league don't seem to take travelling times into account). As another poster pointed out, it was tried but didn't work back along by Steve Massey. I'm sorry to see Les go: although sometimes frustrating, he also has the ability to put in a decent shift.

Geographical location is always going to be an issue as you say Tom. I am based outside of the county so would not always know which players are based in Cornwall. Travelling from Bristol to Penzance is bad enough sometimes! 

8 hours ago, PzFan said:

Geographical location is always going to be an issue as you say Tom. I am based outside of the county so would not always know which players are based in Cornwall. Travelling from Bristol to Penzance is bad enough sometimes! 

Rodney Beer, have you got a new name on the forum? PzFan?

55 minutes ago, ledleystheking said:

Truro city play at the highest standard any team in cornwall has ever attained .perhapsif we all got behind them instead of moaning and whinging ,they could go even higher . As a lover of football I'm proud to see the city where I live have a team playing at this level 

Totally agree with you Ledleystheking. Truro's average attendance was 400 and only a very small number of those post on this site. Moaning and whinging is what they live for. The vast majority agree with you. 

I don’t think people are moaning at the team, but the running of the club, 3 years down the line and still talking of ground sharing as the latest smoke dream has disappeared.  The season has ended and mass exodus has started.  And where have you got average attendance of 400?? 

I hate how the club is being managed, over 40 players played this season loan player after loan player, and our young goalkeeper loaned out Shocking!!

The sacking of Steve Tully was abysmal never known a successful manger getting sacked at this level.

Let’s watch what happens before the start of pre-season, I would be surprised if nothing else is spouted by our chairman (Who seems more interested in the paper in bought into)

I hope he has an open evening where fans can either praise him or ask him how long before the Pirates ground is built (And did he not spout that Truro would not ground share as they needed their own) Where will the club be playing in next 3 years? He jokes about being evicted from Treyew Rd no smoke without fire!!

Finally we are not in the national league south  on our own merits, lucky we had help from above.

I will be the 1st one to admit I was wrong about our leader if he delivers on what comes out of his big mouth.  

Edited by Mikeyburnsey
because i make mistakes due to being Dyslexia