Cornwall Football Forum

Russell Hall Final 2016/17

Probus 0 v 1 Newyln Lions (0-0 full time)

Game played on a very bobbly Carharrack pitch by two teams who in fairness where not at their best tonight and whether cup nerves or tired from work - both teams showed great effort but squandered vital possession at important times. 

Probus wasted three great opportunities during the game and  Newyln scored from a poorly defended / conceded free kick with two minutes of extra time left - which at least saved penalties.

Well done to Newlyn Lions who along with Probus have battled their way together from new entrants into League 5 (Newyln winning league, Probus winning cup: League 4 Probus League and Cup and Newyln runners up: League 3 Newyln Cup and League between Probus and Newyln - probably Newyln).

First visit to Carharrack, very welcoming and nice set up - as I said earlier at this time of season very bobbly underfoot. 

Three officials had a good game, didn't agree with all the referee gave but he was consistent, fair and explained all he did which was nice to see. 

Well done both teams and especially Newyln Lions. ?+?

Newlyn Lion 1 Probus 0

Well done to Newlyn who scored with a free kick at the end of the second half of extra time. We've won the cup for the last 2 years so I guess today was someone else's turn and 3 games in 6 days was a step too far.

The first half was an even battle with both teams competing well. We stood up well to the far bigger and physically stronger Newlyn team. Neither keeper really had a shot to save but we did have 2 headers from corners that went over the bar.

I felt we dominated the second half and created the better chances but with a combination of poor finishing and bobbles at the wrong time, as well as an excellent save from the Newlyn keeper kept the score at 0-0, although we looked the more likely to score.

For the first period of extra time I thought we did well again, but we couldn't make the breakthrough. Newlyn looked the more likely in the second period of extra time and they scored with a good free kick, given for what we felt was a harsh foul.

Well done to Newlyn, enjoy your evening and we look to bounce back at home in the league against St. Just Reserves, in pursuit of 2nd place and promotion. Thanks to the referee and his assistants and Carharrack for their hospitality. 4 league games to go for us.

PPPPANG!

well done probus was a decent game! In any situation losing like that must have been heart breaking. Probus id say had the better chances. As newlyn only had 2 maybe 3 shots on target. All game. Good luck for the rest of the season. As for a poorly conceded free kick.......... did get cleared up by two players lool. Untill next season i guess. Enjoy (no pressure) ;)