Cornwall Football Forum

The Pratten Cup

Does anyone know much about the history or any recolections of this Sunday competition in the early 1970's which was a knockout between clubs from as far a field as Gloucestershire.

Without checking I remember teams Cinderford,Bridgewater Town,Minehead,Exmouth Town and some lesser names like Greenaway Sports and Shirehampton at Bickland Park.

Researched For Postie Pidge;

The South West Counties Pratten Challenge Cup was sponsorred by a building firm from Midsomer-Norton,Somerset- F.J.Pratten & Co.Ltd.

Falmouth Town participated in seasons 1972-73, 1973-74 (was that the full duration of the competiton)

1972-73: H v Greenway Sports 2-1;H v Exmouth Town 3-0; Semi-Final A/H v St.Austell 0-0;1-0(Aggr 1-0)

Final 2 legs A/H v Bridgwater Town 0-4;2-0 Lost 2-4 on Aggregate.

1973-74: H v Shirehampton Sports 3-1;H v Minehead Res. 3-0;A v Barnstaple Town 4-1;Semi-Final H/A v Bridgwater Town 4-0;3-4 (Aggregate 7-4): Final H/A v Cinderford Town 4-0;2-2 Won on 6-2 aggrgate.

Does anyone know much about the history or any recolections of this Sunday competition in the early 1970's which was a knockout between clubs from as far a field as Gloucestershire.

Without checking I remember teams Cinderford,Bridgewater Town,Minehead,Exmouth Town and some lesser names like Greenaway Sports and Shirehampton at Bickland Park.

It became the "South West Sutton Transformer Vase" by the time it ceased, the last season I believe was 1986-87. The results for that year were (with some short-lived Cornish interest) :

First Round

Exeter United 2-4 Clump Inn

Cadbury Heath St J 0-2 Backwell United

Locksheath 1-2 Holsworthy

Romsey Town 1-0 Congresbury

Henbury Old Boys 2-3 North Stoneham

Road Sea Southampton 3-1 Yate Town

Kilkhampton 0-2 P & W United

Portishead 3-2 Wotton Rovers

Quarter Finals

Romsey Town 0-2 Portishead

Holsworthy 0-4 North Stoneham

Backwell United 0-1 Clump Inn

Road Sea Southampton 2-0 P & W United

Semi-Finals (Two Legs)

Road Sea Southampton 3-4 North Stoneham

North Stoneham 1-4 Road Sea Southampton

Road Sea Southampton won 7-5 on aggregate

Portishead 0-1 Clump Inn

Clump Inn 2-1 Portishead

Clump Inn won 3-1 on aggregate

Final (Two Legs)

Clump Inn 0-2 Road Sea Southampton

Road Sea Southampton 4-1 Clump Inn

Road Sea Southampton won 6-1 on aggregate

--

Richard

Richard-I am very suprised to have been oblivious to this competition up until 1986-87,probably to the non entry of Cornish Clubs.

Very interesting?

In looking at the 85-86 season, again only Kilkhampton represented Cornwall, along with Holsworthy from Devon. Full results can follow if you want them

--

Richard

Richard- If its not too much trouble could you list the results just from the Finals as it appears Wadebridge Town made it to the Final in 1978-79..

Wadebridge got to the final 2 years running losing to Liskeard and then Road sea Southampton. It was a great competition and the semi-finals and finals were over 2 legs. We lost to both Liskeard and Road Sea after extra time after the scores were level on aggregate. I suppose the cost of all these extra games on Sundays and all the travelling eventually put paid to our participation in this competition. When we played in the second leg at Southampton we were within seconds of winning in normal time, and we had 2 buses full of supporters who made the lon journey to support us; those were the days.