Cornwall Football Forum

Crowd size.

Why would anyone from Bodmin, support Bodmin? The only person in the whole squad to live locally is Steve Simmonds (I think) When Billy Hopcroft was there at the start of the season, I remember a lot of his mates going to evening games. All of the second team are from Bodmin, and the surrounding areas, but its run like 2 completely different teams, to the point that now the seconds cant play their home games at home, why would they go and support the 1s? You look at a club like St Austell, they have a big fan base, due to having the majority of players/management being local, so people go an watch their mate play just up the road. Also they pull from their second team when they need them, and with the youth teams there as well, and the second team manager taking an interest in those sides, it shows a togetherness at the club.

I may be ill informed, but this is how I see it as an outsider of each club

6 hours ago, Lloydy said:

Why would anyone from Bodmin, support Bodmin? The only person in the whole squad to live locally is Steve Simmonds (I think) When Billy Hopcroft was there at the start of the season, I remember a lot of his mates going to evening games. All of the second team are from Bodmin, and the surrounding areas, but its run like 2 completely different teams, to the point that now the seconds cant play their home games at home, why would they go and support the 1s? You look at a club like St Austell, they have a big fan base, due to having the majority of players/management being local, so people go an watch their mate play just up the road. Also they pull from their second team when they need them, and with the youth teams there as well, and the second team manager taking an interest in those sides, it shows a togetherness at the club.

Strange thinking. So how do you explain the average attendance of approx 10 people at 2nd team games at Bodmin.

On 24/04/2017 at 16:23, Lloydy said:

Great piece Lloydy. I'm not local anymore but live 250 miles away and I get down to watch 7 or 8 matches each season. I am made very welcome by everyone at the club - officials, players and supporters ( some of which I went to school with). Most of the players are local and do attract local support. I've also watched the reserve team who as you say are a solid back up to the first team, many local players who will develop into regular first team players in the future. This community bond is enabling the whole club to go from strength to strength. 

The attendances at many St Austell Reserve matches are frequently more than those at many other club's first team home matches in both the Peninsula Premier and First divisions. 

Cornish Rambler. Maybe its because it is a lower standard of football? And people are planning on going to watch other teams on the days that they play, maybe Wadebridge, Camelford, St Blazey, Dobwalls, Liskeard, St. Austell, Godolphin, Newquay. All of these clubs are within a 20/30 min drive of Bodmin, to watch SWPL football.

On Saturday I went 2 one of these so called better supported clubs. A biggest portion of the crowd and i include myself in this bracket were of the older generation. Of the rest mostly were only in my opinion only interested in the beer. Some were even so that when asked, dad can u get me a hot dog/ drink they couldn't find the time for their kids. When we old timers disappear i wonder if there will be any interest in local footbal

22 hours ago, Lloydy said:

Cornish Rambler. Maybe its because it is a lower standard of football? And people are planning on going to watch other teams on the days that they play, maybe Wadebridge, Camelford, St Blazey, Dobwalls, Liskeard, St. Austell, Godolphin, Newquay. All of these clubs are within a 20/30 min drive of Bodmin, to watch SWPL football.

So if these 'local' lads were good enough, they too would be playing SWPL so this crowd size is irrelevant because of where players live, you either suport your local team or dont.