Cornwall Football Forum

WHAT NOW ARGYLE?

What must seriously concern fans is the club itself. The last few managers have gone for various reasons. Sturrock for ambition and of course money, Williamson because he was no good, Pullis because he had Argyle by the nuts and Holloword because Argyle was just a stepping stone.

Take all the managers including Williamson and there is a recurring theme. Argyle are a small club, managers come to the club on their way to somewhere else, but there is something else. WE DON’T OWE ANY MONEY. In other words we are not prepared to take even the smallest gamble to try and progress. Busaki and Holloword must have brought in £750 to £1m between them. If not then we need to question why.

I’ve said it before - when the chairman says ‘we are where we belong’ in other words the championship, then something is seriously wrong with our attitude towards success as a club. We have no idea when the stadium would be completed, yet thousands of pounds of profit is being lost every week through the lack of income from more bars, functions, restaurants etc that the completed stadium would produce.

Numerous good players go because they can see just like the fans that the club has no ambition. Wages are low and every manager has to make do with what we have got. Holloword must have been frightened witless because he was stuck with a dozen or more players who will be out of contract next year. Why? Because he knows that he cannot fulfil promises to them for extra cash. Holloword can say whatever he likes but nobody will believe him anymore because he knew what he was coming into when he joined the club He was out of work and like most out of work managers they will go for any job so that they can recharge their batteries before moving on. So really we should wise up to that fact. The fans know this because why are they staying away? Yes it’s the cost but somehow fans find the money when they need it. But I think they also see no ambition.

Why do you think that apart from the one season when Argyle dropped into what would have been the old Division Four THIS CLUB HAD SPENT ITS ENTIRE LIFE HOVERING between what was Division Two and Division three. That is why we are always considered a good safe bet for a manager wanting a nice club to go to before moving on.

So what now? I would love to see Sturrock back, but I don’t want him to return because I don’t want his reputation sullied. We have seen the speculation of the potential targets we have either never heard of or who are nobodies looking for Argyle to be their next stepping stone. I cannot even give a suggestion as to who it will be. The other thing is the guy is going to come into an almighty mess and nobody will trust him or go to the matches.

We have a board of directors who really do not have two pennies to scratch between them. So should the board all go and let either a consortium come in with a lot of cash or a money man who is prepared to take that gamble to push the club on. Don’t forget the club now OWNS HOME PARK.

This is the biggest crossroads since we managed to dump McAuley. We will all have our own ideas, Holloword is gone so forget him, but the same un ambitious board is still here - the club has to look to the future. But what will it be.

Guest Raymond Road Ranger

Hi folks,Im just a browser on this forum and as you can see this is my first post,Tonight there is rumour doing the rounds on the internet that Kevin Heaney is interested in investing some of cash in Plymouth Argyle,Also it seems like Paul Sturrock will be the manager again at Home Park very soon.

Guest Postie Pidge

Paul Sturrock left to join Southampton, then a Premiership club. Had Holloway left for a Premier club then that wouldn't be as bad as leaving for a team in the same division

Guest crosser

as postie has said don't think you can really compare holoway and sturrock, sturrock was going to an established top flight club, holloway is going to a yo-yo club with the promise of money but with an absolute fruitcake of a chairman so only time will tell if holloway will get the chance to spend any of that cash.

On the subject of the argyle board yeah it would be great for plymouth to get to the premier league but personally i think the board should be applauded for not putting the club at risk in chasing the money, look at the smaller clubs that have made it to the premier league and were are they now bradford, barnsley, swindon or even look at a bigger club like leeds.

As for consortiums or money men i don't know of any lining up to plow money in, but ECPL as a member of the press you could know more so is there anything you want to let anybody know???

Kevin Heaney? I have heard that there is a property developer with an estimated personal wealth of £150 million looking to invest in the club but apparantly it is someone from Europe. Really don't think we should be dealing with small fry like Heaney. As soon as he gets Truro a new ground and builds on there current site I expect he'll retire a very well off man.

Personally gutted that Hollowords has left. I was well and truly caught up in all his hype and belief because finally we had a manager who could see the potential we have. I do however appreciate all he has done for Argyle and if the right man ( Sturrock ) comes in and takes us to the promised land I hope a few more fans will remember the wheels Holloway put in motion.