Cornwall Football Forum

ENGLAND STARTING X1

Guest Peppermint

Guest Peppermint

According to the sports news on Breakfast Television this morning McClaren is playing Carson in goal which is probably the correct decision.

What is worrying is that he is going for Crouch up front on his own - which looks like a get a draw mentality. Wouldn't it be nice if they went for attack and I am sure most followers would prefer that. Is this decision influenced by the non availibility of Owen and Rooney. He can also play Gerrard, Lampard and Barry in that formation.

Only time will tell but if they are being ultra cautious then it could be a recipe for disaster.

He doesn't have a clue what to do Peppermint. He knows that Lampard has clearly rediscovered his old form (scoring for fun in the premiership) and probably deserves another bite at the cherry BUT he also knows that he can't drop Barry because he's done absolutely nothing wrong and it could even be said that England have looked far more solid and fluent with him in the team?. Ofcourse, he could never even contemplate dropping Gerrard because he's "untouchable".

I just heard on Skysports News that Gareth Barry is on the Aston Villa website saying that England HAVE TO "attack and go for the game" and "NOT just play for a draw because that is just way too risky"

So, with nobody but McClueless and the squad actually knowing the team selection for tonight's game, do we believe the "speculation" in the press this morning and get ready to watch yet even more boring dross OR do we read into what Gareth Barry has said and perhaps start to think that McClaren is actually going to pick an attacking team/formation and go for the game?.

One thing I do know is that the squads McClaren selects are pointless. He's lost Rooney and Owen, so he's more than likely going to play crazy legs crane upfront on his own. So what's the point in selecting players like Defoe, Bent and Smith when he has absolutely NO intention of playing them. He may as well say to them "I'm only calling you up because my squad has to be a certain size, I'd rather play Gerrard or Lampard out of position than give any of you a chance and when Wayne and Michael are fit again you can get lost once and for all".

When Owen got injured on friday night, McClaren instantly called up Darren Bent.. WHY?????. Even we knew that as soon as Owen got injured it would be likely that Crouch would be shoved upfront on his own and the game plan would be "lump long balls upto Crouch and let Gerrard or Lampard see if they can get onto any flicks etc", so absolutely no point in calling up any other striker because you know as well as I do that they are only there to make up the numbers.

I just hope that any Spurs players in the squad stay injury free and are ok for Sunday's game with Wet Spam because I'd hate for them to get injured whilst playing for that **** in control of our national team. He aint worth the effort.

Most people will already be aware that i am not Crouch's biggest fan but can we really expect to win the game with him up there on his own. I can see what will happen all we will do is smash it long to him (not his fault but that is what will happen) and the following will happen

1) he will flick it on to nobody

2) he will foul the defender whilst trying to flick it to nobody

3) he will attempt to bring the ball down and hold it up until the midfield get there but will need 3 touches to do so and will have the ball taken off him.

these 3 things will all result in croatia regaining possesion and the ball coming straight back on us putting us under pressure and the 5 man midfield dropping further back so that when we win the ball back it gets smashed forward again.

In my opinion our best chance of a goal will come through a setpiece and when you think of the millions of pounds worth of footballers we will have out tonight it is not really good enough is it.

McClaren to go whether we get through or not.

I'll be more than hoping Peppermint mate. I'm so desperate for us to get the point necessary to be at next years championships BUT I'd rather go for and get the 3 points necessary to win the group. I believe we need a 2 goal winning margin to top the group and to be honest I'd love us to go all out and show the world that we can actually turn on the style and maybe strike a bit of fear into future opponents?.

All I know for sure is that I'll be well and truly charged up by then and I'll be doing my level best to shout so bloody loudly that they can hear me up at Wembley and go on to stuff the Croats.

"COME ON ENGLAND"

Guest Peppermint

Enjoy the game tonight Coopsie - great image attached to your posting. I will be watching at the Clubhouse at Newquay so at least can a few pints to either celebrate or drown my sorrows.

I cannot see the point, as you said, about calling up the other strikers but not using at least one of them in the starting line up!

Seems a few of us will be enjoying a few pleasurable :drink: tonight. Lets just hope that they end up being drinks of celebration, rather than drinks of comiseration.

Peppermint, I agree totally. The point of calling in the extra striker has left me totally baffled.

Is it worth living in hope that even though we've had this discussion about the team, it is still only speculation about what the side will actually be. Perhaps he'll surprise everybody and send out the unexpected?.

Ok I’m sure this topic has been covered before but I have to say how disgusted I am not to see Robert Green in the England set up, From a Hammers point of view it is great because it means he wont pick up any injuries while on international duty but from his point of view I am sure he is very disappointed.

I have not seen much of Scott Carson and don’t know how good he is but I should imagine he is of a decent level if he has been picked to play for his country, Mind you I have to say I a bit bemused by McClarens team selection looking at some of the reports, I see D.B may be dropped in place of SWP and Fat Frank could play in the middle with S.G & G.B and I’m sure we all know that does not work.

Its only my opinion but I am sure that we must put in experienced players who have been in similar positions before and would give there all for the country and take us all the way, I’m not doubting us and the result (MUCH) but I just worry that as we have been given a golden chance that we could blow it, Lets face it we should not even be in this position.

Anyway good luck ENGLAND

A bit late but my prediction this afternoon was 2-0 to Croatia. Don't jump down my throat - I was all for England making it until I saw the starting line-up. The better team won on the night and the highlight for me was seeing Linekar & co trying to find something to say at half time! :clapper: