Cornwall Football Forum

rolling subs not all 5 used in games, thoughts on scraping it

what is everyone's thoughts on scrapping the rolling subs rule as mangers don't use all 5 subs that are available, and reffereed alot of games this season seeing some young lads face. because he didn't get on when really he should be with the rolling sub rule seems pointless to me of the coach having him come

Don't think it has had any of the negative impacts a lot on here feared it would before it came in. Doesn't really slow the game down, and I haven't seen teams 'abusing' the rule to waste time or anything either. I see no reason to scrapping it?

My opinion is it is there for managers to use at their discretion. I know a lot of sides use it to full affect and make regular changes during each game to keep players fresh and involved, I know others that pretty much stick to the old rule and tend to make their changes in the second half with no intention of bringing the substituted player back on, unless an unexpected injury occurs.

Each to their own.

Best thing to happen to recreational football - it allows managers and coaches to:

Bring through young players, who may not be ready for a full 90 in more physical games

Allow older players the opportunity for 'breathers', the mind may be willing but the body no so

Allows rotation of 16 players throughout a game and thus keeping all players happy every game ( well not every player!)

Allows managers to effective take players off for a 'cool down' if getting overly heated in a game and diffuse situations

Allows for longer 'treatment' if a player picks up a knock.

Any 'disadvantages' are exactly the same as they would be under the fixed three substitutes before - especially poor management as Michael appears to be referring. The only slight downside is where they are used late in a game solely as a time wasting exercise (happened when ruling was first brought in), but strong refereeing resolves that.

I see no reason to scrap it. However, I must admit I am one of the managers who doesn't utilise the rule all that much. If a game is tight it is very unlikely I will use all five substitutes. For me, the three points is the most important thing, and if I see no reason to change it for tactical reasons then I won't do it. It's harsh but that's how I run my side. I have used the five substitutes and the rolling subs and wouldn't see any reason for it to be thrown out of the window. It particularly comes in useful if someone picks up a knock and might need five minutes or so before they can come back on. That's just my thoughts, I know each manager will probably have differing views on it, and how they use it. For me it's not all that important but I see its benefits.

It certainly helps younger players get more game time, not less.

Spot on Bobjfh.  

Lest we forget that this rule was brought in by the FA in an effort to increase participation and it has most definitely done that both nationally and locally.  Given it's success, the fact that FA had to fight very hard to be even allowed to trial it in the first place and that it's now enshrined in the FA Rules it's highly unlikely that there will be any change in the forseeable future.

Some weeks, a squad may have a bare 11, maybe 1/2 subs, other weeks they have a full 16 available. Didn't the ruling get changed to this one not many seasons ago? It's always good to have the rolling subs and it's up to the managers discretion whether they will use all subs. Some are fair and get game time for all, some don't. I'd like it to stay personally.

This rule is like a condom... It's better to have one and not need it rather than need it but not have one! I run a Sunday side, if it weren't for this rule, I'd have been screwed because I have many lads to keep in the game. Only only have I had 5 subs and not used them all, that was due to the nature of the game where I didn't want to throw fresh, cold legs into a rather feisty game, purely to protect them

Great points gents!!! Spot on Bob I think, it works brilliantly in the vets league for those "breathers" and you can also have a knackered knee and just play the last 20 minutes of games but when your team gets a penalty you can just run (very slowly) on and take it and then walk off again!!! Brilliant!! ??⚽

Don't scrap it , the combo has benefited from this , gives players a chance to test themselves , and managers a chance to see if they can step up , one of the better ideas , to be honest haven't seen it holding  the game up  with the ref having the subs names and numbers before the game , and haven't been aware of teams trying to run down the clock .