Cornwall Football Forum

Laws of the Game - has there been a change ?

Question – has there been a change to the Laws of the Game this season ?

I see from reading various reports of the Godolphin Atlantic v Callington Town SWPL game yesterday that the home team scored after the whistle had been blown by the referee for a foul by Callington. The Callington players correctly stopped after the whistle, but a Godolphin player ran on to score, which the referee allowed as an advantage.

This has been verified by several witnesses from both teams.

I was watching the Callington ECPL team recently, and a similar thing happened.   The referee blew his whistle for a foul by a Callington player, but as an opposing player followed through in virtually the same movement as the foul, he caught the ball which then sailed over the head of the Callington keeper. The referee awarded a goal.

In the first example, this was the first and crucial goal, the second example it was a late consolation goal.

Having played and then watched football for many years I have never come across these examples, and wondered if I had missed some new directive by FIFA/UEFA/FA ?

I would have thought that if a referee blows the whistle for a foul and free kick, the play must stop, there can be no advantage – but this is such a fundamental element of the game, surely a referee could never get this wrong.

Perhaps a referee could advise ?

3 hours ago, Jeff's Telling said:

Question – has there been a change to the Laws of the Game this season ?

I see from reading various reports of the Godolphin Atlantic v Callington Town SWPL game yesterday that the home team scored after the whistle had been blown by the referee for a foul by Callington. The Callington players correctly stopped after the whistle, but a Godolphin player ran on to score, which the referee allowed as an advantage.

This has been verified by several witnesses from both teams.

I was watching the Callington ECPL team recently, and a similar thing happened.   The referee blew his whistle for a foul by a Callington player, but as an opposing player followed through in virtually the same movement as the foul, he caught the ball which then sailed over the head of the Callington keeper. The referee awarded a goal.

In the first example, this was the first and crucial goal, the second example it was a late consolation goal.

Having played and then watched football for many years I have never come across these examples, and wondered if I had missed some new directive by FIFA/UEFA/FA ?

I would have thought that if a referee blows the whistle for a foul and free kick, the play must stop, there can be no advantage – but this is such a fundamental element of the game, surely a referee could never get this wrong.

Perhaps a referee could advise ?

The whistle is used to stop and restart play. An advantage should not be applied after the whistle has been blown for an infringement.

My only question for these scenario is: are you sure that it was the referees whistle that was blown and not someone elses?