Cornwall Football Forum

Are we too quick to postpone games when it's wet?

BD you are so right . many years back played a game at Rosudgeon with standing water all over the pitch not where they are now  but  adjacent to the cricket pitch  went in for a slide tackle and slid about twenty yards on my jacksie and left a big gouge out of the pitch my mates took the  urine for weeks , great fun at the time and brought everyone down to my pace .

On 2/9/2017 at 11:17, Keith B said:

Yes stevie, we certainly played in grotty conditions years ago. But nobody complained did they. We just got on with it and went home cold, wet and muddy. Health and Safety had not been heard of in those far off days. Probably not a bad thing really. Bones got broken at times and it was accepted as one of the risks you took if you played the game. I think players are mollycoddled too much these days but, that said, some health and safety has to be applied because as B-D said, we live in an age of litigation now.

Were players tougher in our day - not sure about that, but you had to be tough that's for sure.

Doesn't help that the youngsters coming through have divas to look up to in the BPL. Wrong role models for the most part.

3 hours ago, Keith B said:

You can say that again Tempo. Wrong role models they certainly are. I despise OTT goal celebrations too. For me Alan Shearer got it right, big smile and one finger raised as he ran back to the half way line. Diving/ie,cheating, feigning injury, bad tempered abuse thrown at officials and other players, that's today's role models.  

It's all wrong mate and that's why grassroots football will go down hill as well.