Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Combo League Results - 4/2/17

1 hour ago, B_D said:

Just running towards the ball is not classed as interfering with play. It is the affect that the attacker has on the opponent(s) which determines whether a player is offside or not. 

Unfortunately for Club linesmen, they aren't trained to the same standard as regular officials and are not required to pass an assessment on the laws of the game. Because they don't have to do that, I would bet by left testicle that many do not keep updated with the changes in the Laws of the Game. Club officials do not attend development days and have no further training than that of the original cours in which they qualified.

Lets ask the question... if the FA or a local Referee's Association group were to offer a development/training session, would club assistants attend?

As soon as a defender or keeper is influenced by the offside players movement and they have to move to meet him, then the player has become 'active' and is offside. If you are going to run the line you surely have a responsibility to know the rules. Suggested before that it would be good if the RA ran a couple of update sessions per season for linos in Combo, have talked to other assistants about it and they said they would attend, why not give it a go? If it helps improve the game for players and all involved, it can only be a good thing. Hopefully be a bit more appreciation and less stick from all concerned if everyone knew assistants were aware of current rules.

No mention of "being active" in the current wording of the Laws of the Game, nor the guidance notes for further clarrification. Players need to be close enough to play the ball or close enough to interfere with a defender who is playing, or attempting to play, the ball. Any offence only takes place when it is judged that those conditions are met and a free kick awarded from the place the player is at that time. Hence that is why a player can now be penalised for being offside and the kick awarded in their own half.

5 hours ago, John Mead said:

No mention of "being active" in the current wording of the Laws of the Game, nor the guidance notes for further clarrification. Players need to be close enough to play the ball or close enough to interfere with a defender who is playing, or attempting to play, the ball. Any offence only takes place when it is judged that those conditions are met and a free kick awarded from the place the player is at that time. Hence that is why a player can now be penalised for being offside and the kick awarded in their own half.

Agreed John, I use the phrase 'active' as being the point at which an offside player actually 'interferes with play' and commits the offence, as opposed to just being in an offside position which is not an offence under the new laws. Think this has been a useful debate and highlights why some updates for linos would be helpful. All we want to do is support the game we love the best we can by helping the referee and players. Sure, we all make an occasional honest mistake, but show me anyone who steps on the pitch to play the game who doesn't.

43 minutes ago, Andys said:

Agreed John, I use the phrase 'active' as being the point at which an offside player actually 'interferes with play' and commits the offence, as opposed to just being in an offside position which is not an offence under the new laws. Think this has been a useful debate and highlights why some updates for linos would be helpful. All we want to do is support the game we love the best we can by helping the referee and players. Sure, we all make an occasional honest mistake, but show me anyone who steps on the pitch to play the game who doesn't.

Honest mistakes we all make them !! But raising the flag every time the opposition are about to score regardless  or threaten to score is the problem that isn't honest and ain't a mistake !! 

3 minutes ago, chubbs284 said:

Honest mistakes we all make them !! But raising the flag every time the opposition are about to score regardless  or threaten to score is the problem that isn't honest and ain't a mistake !! 

Perhaps have a go yourself and see what can happen during a match you may be surprised .

10 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Perhaps have a go yourself and see what can happen during a match you may be surprised .

I have in numerous occasions but found I wasn't that good at it felt I was bias towards my own team so packed it in didn't want to spoil the game may be others should be honest with themselves aswell !! 

I've had a chat with Camborne, Redruth and Truro Referees Association, we are going invite club linesman to our meetings in the future so that they can learn, ask questions and get involved with some development/training. The meetings take place at 1945 on the first Monday of every month at Holmans Sports Club. We will be inviting club assistants to join us from 2030 onwards. 

Our next meeting is a week today (usually it would be the first Monday, there's another meeting taking place this evening which involves a few of our members). I will post more information on Saturday evening. If any club linesman would like to develop their knowledge on the laws, this is a good opportunity.

44 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Blimey my spelling is awful!!

what I was getting at was willy won't have to worry about mr chown (who I presume was running the line, my apologies if not) doing it in 2 years time as I don't believe they'll be in the combo then. 

An intelligent guy like you Darren wouldn't have got the spelling wrong. As I said, could be the straw that broke the camel's back! 

I have to admit when I ran the line for deacsy back in 1994 I can honestly say I was fair. I possibly gave benefit of doubt to Aggie though.

I recall one occasion when Danny carveth made an uncharacteristic rash challenge and wiped the guy out near the 6 yard box I gave a corner in the hope the ref thought Danny got a hand to it.  But that was the only time when I knew I was wrong

14 hours ago, stevieb said:

Problem is Steve we all know the grounds where it happens, you can almost guarantee it, sometimes it's so obvious it's embarrassing to watch, but it doesn't seem to stop them

After remembering my screen name was actually, my real name, requesting a new password as I forgot the old one, and finally being able to log back into my account, I'm delighted to be back in the game!! After we beat st day on Boxing Day, the thread went on and on for a couple weeks and I missed out. Couldn't miss out on all the nonsense this time, felt like I should contribute some nonsense of my own!

its time we at Carharrack came clean, rich is a cheating Lino worth maybe 25-30 points a season. And here's why. When we first won promotion to combo richard and I had a conversation. We said that we'd cheat with him as Lino, but only finish like 2nd or 3rd or something so it's not to obvious. Then 2nd season people will tip us for the title and we can win the league!!! Too bad we've been caught out and had to come clean. I guess now we'll have to rely on rubbish things like team spirit and quality footballers to try and win the league!!

ow and, St Darren, considering you seem to know what happens in the future, can you let me know a couple of things please mate. Do we actually go on and win the league? And do we retain both our league cup and evely cup?? Would really make my job easier if you could let me know bud.

euromillions numbers for Friday night be ideal aswell if it's not to much trouble

???

Nobody is saying your not good enough to win the league, You would win it with or without Mr Chown. The point is in the last two games between yourself and St.day there have been 2 really bad Decisions, Dont think they happen week in week out but as mentioned above when someone has great passion and pride for the club he loves and they are up again a club he hates he will let his heart rule his head!

I think you'll go on to win the league mr pope, you've got a good side down there. That side would also be good at somewhere like perranporth or Falmouth town!!  

I dont believe carharrqck will be in the combo league in 2 years time as I believe you would have done what you set out to achieve and youlll move on elsewhere and all the players will probably follow you, therefore leaving carharrqck struggling. 

Thats what I believe will happen. But we'll wait and see

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

I think you'll go on to win the league mr pope, you've got a good side down there. That side would also be good at somewhere like perranporth or Falmouth town!!  

I dont believe carharrqck will be in the combo league in 2 years time as I believe you would have done what you set out to achieve and youlll move on elsewhere and all the players will probably follow you, therefore leaving carharrqck struggling. 

Thats what I believe will happen. But we'll wait and see

The point of my 'trelawny' league comment exactly! O to be a naive commitee member! ?

A lot of people talking as if Carharrack have won the league already.  Why are ludgvan being written off when both teams are practically the same as last year? They can really close the gap should they win games in hand and the two still have to play! 

On 06/02/2017 at 07:17, chubbs284 said:

I have in numerous occasions but found I wasn't that good at it felt I was bias towards my own team so packed it in didn't want to spoil the game may be others should be honest with themselves aswell !! 

So perhaps you can see what club Lino's go through week in week out .?  What ever descions you make you are going to P... Someone off  even if it is the correct descion .  

31 minutes ago, stevieb said:

So perhaps you can see what club Lino's go through week in week out .?  What ever descions you make you are going to P... Someone off  even if it is the correct descion .  

But when linos get told off by there club when he gives a a goal against his club the club puts them in a difficult position so that's why u dont get a fair game at certain clubs ?  :SM_carton:

8 hours ago, chubbs284 said:

But when linos get told off by there club when he gives a a goal against his club the club puts them in a difficult position so that's why u dont get a fair game at certain clubs ?  :SM_carton:

There is a way to change that feeling and I give you some alternatives ,  all clubs pay for three officials and do away with club Lino's ( ahh the cost  you might say )  then more games would be called off in local football with lack of officials , or get FIFA to do away with off side completely and just have Lino's there for ball in and out of play , or have offside given  for any player and do away with interference with play / active  or another one all club Lino's not turn up and see how many subs , supporters want to step in , just my thoughts  as we must be nuts doing a job that nobody wants but everyone can do better .

On 07/02/2017 at 08:31, Harry Pope said:

After remembering my screen name was actually, my real name, requesting a new password as I forgot the old one, and finally being able to log back into my account, I'm delighted to be back in the game!! After we beat st day on Boxing Day, the thread went on and on for a couple weeks and I missed out. Couldn't miss out on all the nonsense this time, felt like I should contribute some nonsense of my own!

its time we at Carharrack came clean, rich is a cheating Lino worth maybe 25-30 points a season. And here's why. When we first won promotion to combo richard and I had a conversation. We said that we'd cheat with him as Lino, but only finish like 2nd or 3rd or something so it's not to obvious. Then 2nd season people will tip us for the title and we can win the league!!! Too bad we've been caught out and had to come clean. I guess now we'll have to rely on rubbish things like team spirit and quality footballers to try and win the league!!

ow and, St Darren, considering you seem to know what happens in the future, can you let me know a couple of things please mate. Do we actually go on and win the league? And do we retain both our league cup and evely cup?? Would really make my job easier if you could let me know bud.

euromillions numbers for Friday night be ideal aswell if it's not to much trouble

???

Go on then Popey give us all a laugh. Which team will you be managing next season ?

11 hours ago, stevieb said:

There is a way to change that feeling and I give you some alternatives ,  all clubs pay for three officials and do away with club Lino's ( ahh the cost  you might say )  then more games would be called off in local football with lack of officials , or get FIFA to do away with off side completely and just have Lino's there for ball in and out of play , or have offside given  for any player and do away with interference with play / active  or another one all club Lino's not turn up and see how many subs , supporters want to step in , just my thoughts  as we mus

11 hours ago, stevieb said:

There is a way to change that feeling and I give you some alternatives ,  all clubs pay for three officials and do away with club Lino's ( ahh the cost  you might say )  then more games would be called off in local football with lack of officials , or get FIFA to do away with off side completely and just have Lino's there for ball in and out of play , or have offside given  for any player and do away with interference with play / active  or another one all club Lino's not turn up and see how many subs , supporters want to step in , just my thoughts  as we must be nuts doing a job that nobody wants but everyone can do better .

We can argue for ever on this I agree wot u are  saying I personally have a great deal of respect for match officials with out u fellas we would not be able to enjoy the great game and get out of shopping on a sat .But there are a few who week in week out spoil the game the majority of u guys hats off to you keep up the good work !! The odd one or two and you all know who you are have a word with yourselves sort it out . On that note good luck to all on Sat !!

On 06/02/2017 at 08:12, B_D said:

I've had a chat with Camborne, Redruth and Truro Referees Association, we are going invite club linesman to our meetings in the future so that they can learn, ask questions and get involved with some development/training. The meetings take place at 1945 on the first Monday of every month at Holmans Sports Club. We will be inviting club assistants to join us from 2030 onwards. 

Our next meeting is a week today (usually it would be the first Monday, there's another meeting taking place this evening which involves a few of our members). I will post more information on Saturday evening. If any club linesman would like to develop their knowledge on the laws, this is a good opportunity.

BD any update please ? 

Would like to thank the refs last night who made us very welcome , and included us in their discussion , very enjoyable and hopefully more club Lino's could attend the next one ,  thank you all again it was an eye opener to see what goes on behind the scenes and the work they put in so the players can get their game on a Saturday  .

25 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Would like to thank the refs last night who made us very welcome , and included us in their discussion , very enjoyable and hopefully more club Lino's could attend the next one ,  thank you all again it was an eye opener to see what goes on behind the scenes and the work they put in so the players can get their game on a Saturday  .

You are more than welcome; It was certainly an eye opener for me the first time I attended. I'm just in the middle of writing a bit about the "flash-lag" effect that we spoke about last night. Hopefully, if assistants (thats what you are - not club lino's!) can apply this, it will improve your game. On the flip-side, if everyone not so up-to-date with the offside law reads it, hopefully we won't get as much of a hard time on the sideline when we deem a player to be onside.

On 14/02/2017 at 21:04, B_D said:

You are more than welcome; It was certainly an eye opener for me the first time I attended. I'm just in the middle of writing a bit about the "flash-lag" effect that we spoke about last night. Hopefully, if assistants (thats what you are - not club lino's!) can apply this, it will improve your game. On the flip-side, if everyone not so up-to-date with the offside law reads it, hopefully we won't get as much of a hard time on the sideline when we deem a player to be onside.

Thanks again  ,  I like the term Lino's old school me as you would have guessed from meeting the other night , haven't looked at the flash thing yet but will .